Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: What’s next for Prestonsburg?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I think right now the two logical hires at this point in time would be Kory Thacker (Assistant last year) or the man who is doing wonders with the baseball team in Mr Craig Ratliff. Summer ball starts next week.  

What’s everyone’s thoughts??
Prestonsburg is better off without Huff as a coach. Knott will struggle a lot over next few years. Bad hired by knott in my opinion. Douglas Hopkins be a great choice for Pburg in my opinion
Kory Thacker is probably the likely hire unless a name pops up the admin at Pburg can’t turn down.

He’ll coach the team this summer.
Brian Hall?
(06-01-2022, 04:34 PM)Slim one Wrote: [ -> ]Brian Hall?

It would be nice to see Coach Hall back in Floyd County on a permanent basis.
Craig Ratliff or Doug Hopkins be good as it gets for these parts.
Would Brandon Kidd be interested in sliding over to the boys side?
If they are smart they will hire Doug Hopkins.
Prestonsburg is using the “committee” approach to disguise the buddy hire.

My opinion on a good hire would be Josh Murdock. Murdock was a player at Prestonsburg and graduated in 02. He’s been an assistant under Landon Slone at Paintsville.

He’s a Prestonsburg boy, lives in Prestonsburg and will more than likely stay at Prestonsburg if hired. He won’t jump ship unless Pburg politics gets in the way.
(06-07-2022, 07:38 PM)papabear02 Wrote: [ -> ]Prestonsburg is using the “committee” approach to disguise the buddy hire.

My opinion on a good hire would be Josh Murdock.  Murdock was a player at Prestonsburg and graduated in 02.  He’s been an assistant under Landon Slone at Paintsville. 

He’s a Prestonsburg boy, lives in Prestonsburg and will more than likely stay at Prestonsburg if hired. He won’t jump ship unless Pburg politics gets in the way.

What makes you believe that? I'm not saying I disagree, just haven't noticed where politics have played a role in lesser candidate getting a job over someone more qualified yet under Ricky Thacker and his staff.
Doug Hopkins if he wants it. Best coach that would want it.

Craig Ratliff would be who I would go after if Doug turned it down.

After that anyone who would want it would probably be the same. I don’t see a lot of interest in the job.
(06-07-2022, 07:38 PM)papabear02 Wrote: [ -> ]Prestonsburg is using the “committee” approach to disguise the buddy hire.

My opinion on a good hire would be Josh Murdock.  Murdock was a player at Prestonsburg and graduated in 02.  He’s been an assistant under Landon Slone at Paintsville. 

Buddy hire?   Do you think it’s Dougie Hopkins for sure?  He seems like the only buddy hire.   I would rather try and hire Craig Ratliff or let Kory Thacker have a shot at it.
Doug Hopkins should be the pick here.
(06-07-2022, 11:31 PM)Grinch1 Wrote: [ -> ]

Buddy hire?   Do you think it’s Dougie Hopkins for sure?  He seems like the only buddy hire.   I would rather try and hire Craig Ratliff or let Kory Thacker have a shot at it.

Doug Hopkins would be the only one with head coaching experience, has coached and won something at the middle school level, and would be here for the long haul.

Craig was a great player but no one knows how is would be as a head coach of basketball. Is he going to give up baseball? You cannot coach two high school sports at a high level and be successful. The seasons overlap, it takes a lot of energy to coach at a high level, and you have no off season work because you’re coaching the other.

Kory Thacker, admittedly don’t know a whole lot but I understand promoting an assistant. The issue is he was an assistant on some very bad teams.
(06-08-2022, 11:43 AM)RTruth Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-07-2022, 11:31 PM)Grinch1 Wrote: [ -> ]

Doug Hopkins would be the only one with head coaching experience, has coached and won something at the middle school level, and would be here for the long haul.

Craig was a great player but no one knows how is would be as a head coach of basketball. Is he going to give up baseball? You cannot coach two high school sports at a high level and be successful. The seasons overlap, it takes a lot of energy to coach at a high level, and you have no off season work because you’re coaching the other.

Kory Thacker, admittedly don’t know a whole lot but I understand promoting an assistant. The issue is he was an assistant on some very bad teams.
I believe Hopkins will get the job.  I would hope tho that Ratliff would be considered if he was interested.  PBurg needs someone who is going to be dedicated to them and play to win instead of making people happy.
Of course there are obvious candidates, and I hope the politics don’t get in the way with the hire. There are people in other peoples ear that control the decisions….let that Sink in.

Murdock- young smart and lives in Prestonsburg, from Prestonsburg and graduated from Prestonsburg. Has ties.

Hopkins - great guy, great coach. Should be considered. He don’t play favorites and he makes people mad, but players develop.

Ratliff - moved around from Ashland to Paintsville, won’t even tell his boy to come to Pburg to play for him. He’s not a long haul coach. If I coached at a school, you better believe my boy would be at that school showing the same respect. Not a good hire for the long haul.
I’m going to stay out of it and not go into detail but if a couple that have been mentioned here are hired, it’ll be mass exodus 2.0. The last time this was warned, no one listened and you saw what happened. It’ll happen again if people aren’t careful.
Good, let the losers leave and build Prestonsburg back.
(06-08-2022, 03:37 PM)jamesclay Wrote: [ -> ]Good, let the losers leave and build Prestonsburg back.
LOL yeah, build Prestonsburg back without a team. Good thing you’re not in charge. Not listening to the people of Prestonsburg is what got them in the mess they’re in now.
(06-08-2022, 02:38 PM)papabear02 Wrote: [ -> ]Of course there are obvious candidates, and I hope the politics don’t get in the way with the hire.  There are people in other peoples ear that control the decisions….let that Sink in. 

Murdock- young smart and lives in Prestonsburg, from Prestonsburg and graduated from Prestonsburg.  Has ties. 

Hopkins - great guy, great coach. Should be considered.  He don’t play favorites and he makes people mad, but players develop.

Ratliff - moved around from Ashland to Paintsville, won’t even tell his boy to come to Pburg to play for him. He’s not a long haul coach.  If I coached at a school, you better believe my boy would be at that school showing the same respect.  Not a good hire for the long haul.

I’m pretty sure Murdock is out of coaching if it’s the same guy that helped some at Wesley Christian. He quit a couple of years ago and has never been a head coach. I’m not sure if he played in college or even much a Pburg during his time there. 

Craig would be a good hire. Also Seems like Brandon Kidd would be mentioned more. 
(06-08-2022, 07:08 PM)TRex34 Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-08-2022, 02:38 PM)papabear02 Wrote: [ -> ]Of course there are obvious candidates, and I hope the politics don’t get in the way with the hire.  There are people in other peoples ear that control the decisions….let that Sink in. 

Murdock- young smart and lives in Prestonsburg, from Prestonsburg and graduated from Prestonsburg.  Has ties. 

Hopkins - great guy, great coach. Should be considered.  He don’t play favorites and he makes people mad, but players develop.

Ratliff - moved around from Ashland to Paintsville, won’t even tell his boy to come to Pburg to play for him. He’s not a long haul coach.  If I coached at a school, you better believe my boy would be at that school showing the same respect.  Not a good hire for the long haul.

I’m pretty sure Murdock is out of coaching if it’s the same guy that helped some at Wesley Christian. He quit a couple of years ago and has never been a head coach. I’m not sure if he played in college or even much a Pburg during his time there. 

Craig would be a good hire. Also Seems like Brandon Kidd would be mentioned more. 
I agree with you on Brandon Kidd. If he’s interested.  He is well liked.
Give it to the guy that’s dedicated time in the off season with this group. Kory needs to be the hire. A lot of players and parents are pushing for him
Im hearing a guy from the 14th is really interested
(06-08-2022, 09:59 PM)Sports72 Wrote: [ -> ]Im hearing a guy from the 14th is really interested

Who?
(06-08-2022, 05:32 PM)BCF4L Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-08-2022, 03:37 PM)jamesclay Wrote: [ -> ]Good, let the losers leave and build Prestonsburg back.
LOL yeah, build Prestonsburg back without a team. Good thing you’re not in charge. Not listening to the people of Prestonsburg is what got them in the mess they’re in now.

I'd probably listen to the people of Prestonsburg and do exactly the opposite. Especially if I lived there and saw what the people of Prestonsburg have accomplished over the last 20 years or so.
(06-08-2022, 11:54 PM)jamesclay Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-08-2022, 05:32 PM)BCF4L Wrote: [ -> ]

I'd probably listen to the people of Prestonsburg and do exactly the opposite. Especially if I lived there and saw what the people of Prestonsburg have accomplished over the last 20 years or so.
Well that’s exactly what they did 5 years ago and it won Paintsville a football state championship and a basketball regional championship.
Word is Kory Thacker will be the next girls basketball coach at Betsy Layne.

If true, that’s a bit of a shocker. He’s spent a ton of time with the boys the last few weeks playing summer ball and they were doing really good and now it seems like he’s gone as well.

Parents are frustrated and rightfully so. Hopefully some quality candidates that want to be here long term have applied or plan to.
(06-09-2022, 02:36 AM)BlackcatAlum Wrote: [ -> ]Word is Kory Thacker will be the next girls basketball coach at Betsy Layne.

If true, that’s a bit of a shocker. He’s spent a ton of time with the boys the last few weeks playing summer ball and they were doing really good and now it seems like he’s gone as well.

Parents are frustrated and rightfully so. Hopefully some quality candidates that want to be here long term have applied or plan to.
I think he left because he wasn’t going to get offered the job and this was a chance for him to start his head coaching career so he took the job at BL.  I’m curious to hear about possible candidates PBurg is looking at.
Another name that would be a nice fit, change the dynamics a little bit is go after Denise Campbell. She could handle a boys program. She recently resigned from Pike Central girls.

She’s tough, fundamentally sound coach and a true leader.

What are your thoughts?
(06-09-2022, 01:42 PM)papabear02 Wrote: [ -> ]Another name that would be a nice fit, change the dynamics a little bit is go after Denise Campbell. She could handle a boys program.  She recently resigned from Pike Central girls. 

She’s tough, fundamentally sound coach and a true leader. 

What are your thoughts?
She already taken a PE position at Pikeville and rumored to be their next softball coach.
Pages: 1 2