Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Mississippi St. 31 - Kentucky 14
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Absolute shocker. After playing well in back-to-back weeks against two top 10 teams, UK falls flat on their face today. The team played with no passion all day, and just didn't seem like their head was in it. Disappointing day for Woodson and the team as a whole.

If I don't stop right now, I'll rant too much. What are everyone else's thoughts?
I don't know if they were worn out from the past few weeks, pre-occupied with Homecoming, or overlooking Miss. State, but Kentucky looked terrible today.

It looked like no one cared.
MSU completely dominated every single aspect of this game. Woodson struggled, the defesne was just flat out terrible, and turnovers were killing us. MSU literally ran all over the UK defense. Hopefully they'll rebound, and recover next week.
I agree, CE. The defense played terrible in the first half, unable to get off the field and giving up two touchdowns on long, time-consuming drives. In the second half, the defense played better but was done in by poor field position. All of State's second-half scores came after UK turnovers in their own territory, with drives starting on the 34, 26, and 40 yard lines. Hard to keep the other team from scoring when you let them start off drives like that.
if UK plays even twice as well as they did today, they wont beat anybody else on their schedule...Georgia will beat them outright. Vandy will give them all they want, and you can write that down..Ive said all along, that Miss State was a good football team, not to be overlooked, and they have three more games against teams that are every bit as tough or tougher than the Bulldogs..but it was a pathetic, gutless showing by the Cats..
Well said TH32!!!!!!!
Miss. State is a good team, but UK is better. I agree it's not fun to lose but this loss isn't as bad as we think. MSU beat Auburn on the road earlier this year, and they will be a bowl team this season.

I am not surprised we lost. Without our #1 and 2 running backs, #1 WR, Micah Johnson, and Paul Warford the odds were stacked against us.

Alfonso Smith got injured again, Locke went out in the 2nd quarter and then we were down to our #5 RB. Marcus McClinton went out with an injury in the 2nd half.

No team has ever needed a bye as bad as we do now. The last 3 weeks killed us and it showed.

But I will say the team wasn't mentally or physically prepared for a pretty good MSU team. The offensive and defensive line were both pushed around pretty bad.

The best thing we can do is look ahead to Vandy and put this loss behind us. Much like the LSU loss last season. I feel like we can go 3-0 from here on out after the bye. We're still a very good team.
I think UK was just looking forward to the bye week. Everyone was hurt mentally and physically, and we were just not ready for another game after the past two games. Things should be back to normal after the bye week. But you can more than likley throw the a BCS bowl out the window.
Can't really say UK is a fluke this year, they beat the number 1 team in the country and number 11. I say they have had a great season this year no matter how many more games they lose.
are we out of top 25 yet? or is it if florida loses?
I was about to say that shows that UK's not an elite college football team yet because elite college football programs don't get blownout by unranked teams, but from the way alfus put it, I'm almost persuaded that it was just a let-down I'll put it this way: I don't think the top, elite programs in college football crumble like UK did today, especially against unranked teams.

Might be wrong, but it's my opinion.
BFritz Wrote:I was about to say that shows that UK's not an elite college football team yet because elite college football programs don't get blownout by unranked teams, but from the way alfus put it, I'm almost persuaded that it was just a let-down I'll put it this way: I don't think the top, elite programs in college football crumble like UK did today, especially against unranked teams.

Might be wrong, but it's my opinion.

Nobody ever said Kentucky was elite. It would take a fool to think that UK is now elite because of a good season.
If...Then Wrote:are we out of top 25 yet? or is it if florida loses?
they shouldnt be...Mississippi State is a good football team. UK should be around 22-25th..
6 turnovers they couldnt beat St. X today. Horribly played game. But they do have a lot of injuries, need the off week badly. Hopefully they can bounce back and get emotionally ready for another tough stretch.
Kentucky isn't an elite program, but I do believe they can beat anyone in the nation. Kentucky, IMO, was just mentally and physically beat. They are in desperate need of this bye week.
They reminded me of the movie Varsity Blues when they all go out clubbing the night before, go out that night to play a football game and everything goes wrong...The worst performance in a while from this team and they are better than that-! But nothing you can do about it now except put it behind you and work hard for the rest of the season! GO CATS!
blackcat Wrote:Kentucky isn't an elite program, but I do believe they can beat anyone in the nation. Kentucky, IMO, was just mentally and physically beat. They are in desperate need of this bye week.

If they are not an elite team how can they beat any one in the nation. That is what elite teams do. Kentucky is the having a peak season. They have played as good as they have with a Heisman trophy candidate at the helm. Next year it will be same ole kentucky just as we saw against MSU.
I don't think any of the country's elite play a schedule like ANY team in the SEC. It's amazing how these teams just beat each other up week after week. There are no gimmies in this conference, and after a while, team's just get to the point where they are mentally and physically banged up (like UK yesterday). You go from South Carolina, LSU, and Florida to yesterday's game, against a very good 4-4 Mississippi State team, you're not going to be as focused as you normally would. MSU is not a bad team, by any means. They played hard, tough, and played like with reckless abandon. They wanted this game, especially after their performance against WVU (kind of like UK playing the way they did against LSU after getting embarrassed by SC). UK needs a break, now more than ever. It was an ugly game if you're a UK fan, but the next 3 games will be better, I'm sure. Just give these guys time to heal up, recover, and prepare mentally and physically.
Shew I hope so, who all is KY losing this year besides Woodson?
NYY10 Wrote:Shew I hope so, who all is KY losing this year besides Woodson?

Kenan Burton
Jason Leger
Dominic Lewis
Refael Little
Wesley Woodyard

Those are the only ones I could think of.
Booya Wrote:If they are not an elite team how can they beat any one in the nation. That is what elite teams do. Kentucky is the having a peak season. They have played as good as they have with a Heisman trophy candidate at the helm. Next year it will be same ole kentucky just as we saw against MSU.

Notice I said program, big difference.
Well I was one of the people that said UK could win all their games, but boy how I regret that. UK is nowhere near as good as I thought they should be. They have way too much talent to lose to unranked teams like this. The way I see it is the secondary is pitiful, they dont cover anyone at all, I have seen alot of plays where after the receiver catches the ball, there isnt a UK defender near them, they have to come from 5-10 yards away to get to them. Basically they dont cover anyone. The defensive line is the best part of the defense and even they look bad at times. Woodson is way overrated in my opinion. I wanted to give him more credit, but its hard when he plays like he has in the last 3 games, 4 if you wanna go all the way back to the South Carolina game. He makes horrible throws and really bad decisions when under pressure. The way I see it, its either bad playcalling by whoever has that assignment or just really bad execution of the calls that are played, either way it needs fixed. Next year will be horrible for UK football. They lose alot of good players like Burton, Lyons, Johnson, Woodson, Little, Tamme and many others, and we dont know how good Pulley will be if he even plays. Personally, I am done with watching UK football and am waiting to see the basketball team.
Braves_Fan_26 Wrote:Personally, I am done with watching UK football and am waiting to see the basketball team.

Thank you. :thumpsup:

More room on the UK Train for the rest of us real UK fans.
Hard to be a fan of a team that plays like UK does, and before you say something about being a fan no matter how they play, well personally I believe in teams earning fans by playing good and winning big games. Something UK can't do, in football anyway, oh and the basketball team win Tubby was coaching. The only reason UK beat LSU was because Les Miles kept trying to run it up the gut, had he ran the ball to the outside or passed it, LSU surely would have beaten UK.
Braves_Fan_26 Wrote:Hard to be a fan of a team that plays like UK does, and before you say something about being a fan no matter how they play, well personally I believe in teams earning fans by playing good and winning big games. Something UK can't do, in football anyway, oh and the basketball team win Tubby was coaching. The only reason UK beat LSU was because Les Miles kept trying to run it up the gut, had he ran the ball to the outside or passed it, LSU surely would have beaten UK.

Smile Alright. See ya. :Thumbs: More room for me.
I love Uk but the only thing that I don't understand is how in the world can you beat number 1 team like LSU then go over here and lose agianst Florida and now Mississippi St? Take notice we beat a good team such as LSU and then we lose twiced in a row. I don't get it.
JD18 Wrote:I love Uk but the only thing that I don't understand is how in the world can you beat number 1 team like LSU then go over here and lose agianst Florida and now Mississippi St? Take notice we beat a good team such as LSU and then we lose twiced in a row. I don't get it.

It's called the SEC! :eek:
alfus21 Wrote:Smile Alright. See ya. :Thumbs: More room for me.

True That lol.Smile
I'm kinda glad I didn't get to watch the game...I still think we'll win out though. I have no idea why, because Georgia and Tenn are good teams, but I just have a feeling we'll beat both.
OffTheHook Wrote:It's called the SEC! :eek:
yeah I know but what im saying is its just terrbile playing on kentucky part.
Pages: 1 2