Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Deboard transfers to Ashland
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
According to some on social media he has transferred to Ashland.  The Tomcats get another good player.  I know some on this board only like to single out a certain class A school that gets transfers.  Ashland has been doing it for years and other schools as well.   It happens everywhere. If you don’t want kids to leave your school then do something that’s going to keep them from leaving.    

Good luck to this kid.
Where’s he from?
(05-18-2022, 10:39 AM)Spud6 Wrote: [ -> ]Where’s he from?
Boyd County.
(05-18-2022, 10:40 AM)Grinch1 Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-18-2022, 10:39 AM)Spud6 Wrote: [ -> ]Where’s he from?
Boyd County.
He averaged 16 points a game last year. Great pickup for Ashland.
You mean people transfer to schools other than Pikeville? Shocker.
Wow a KHSAA high school transfer, shocker.
I believe more times than not many players/ parents transfer to other schools on their own without the receiving school doing anything. That is, they get falsely accused of recruiting when that’s not the case. Now, if one said their school’s successes recruited for them then that could be possible. Some school’s academic and athletic programs simply attract the attention of people living in surrounding schools or counties and they want their kids to be a part of that success.
(05-21-2022, 07:04 PM)LOOKAYANNER Wrote: [ -> ]I believe more times than not many players/ parents transfer to other schools on their own without the receiving school doing anything. That is, they get falsely accused of recruiting when that’s not the case. Now, if one said their school’s successes recruited for them then that could be possible. Some school’s academic and athletic programs simply attract the attention of people living in surrounding schools or counties and they want their kids to be a part of that success.
I totally agree.  That’s kind of the whole point of me starting this thread.  The schools that have had recent success in a sport the kid plays, they want to be a part of that success.  Not all of these schools actively recruit kids.  Winning does that.
(05-21-2022, 07:04 PM)LOOKAYANNER Wrote: [ -> ]I believe more times than not many players/ parents transfer to other schools on their own without the receiving school doing anything. That is, they get falsely accused of recruiting when that’s not the case. Now, if one said their school’s successes recruited for them then that could be possible. Some school’s academic and athletic programs simply attract the attention of people living in surrounding schools or counties and they want their kids to be a part of that success.
Very well said!
Great schools that have great programs/academics will bring players to the school.  Throw in great tradition and it is even more appealing.   I know there are a lot of people that immediately start accusing coaches of recruiting but it is possible for an athlete to just want to go there!  
I wish the kid the best and I hope it helps his college recruitment if that’s what he chooses to do.
Exactly.
Winning kids and parents go to where winners are.
Yeah HAIL PIKEVILLE has reed sheppard transferring from North laurel to Pikeville next season.
Transfers in high school due to sports are such a joke. Yeah, I know "happens everywhere", but doesn't make it right. They should just start giving out grades for playing sports since it is no longer "extra curricular", but yet the reason a student would change schools. Which, last time I checked, is against the rules.
(05-26-2022, 01:24 PM)Fanman Wrote: [ -> ]Transfers in high school due to sports are such a joke. Yeah, I know "happens everywhere", but doesn't make it right. They should just start giving out grades for playing sports since it is no longer "extra curricular", but yet the reason a student would change schools.  Which, last time I checked, is against the rules.

If a kid has the ability to go to college on an athletic scholarship and come out almost debt free, that is not a joke.  If the kid follows the KHSAA guidelines when they transfer, last time I checked, it was not against the rules.  Why would you want to keep a young athlete from putting themselves in a position to be successful?
(05-27-2022, 12:45 AM)Appalachian Cat Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-26-2022, 01:24 PM)Fanman Wrote: [ -> ]Transfers in high school due to sports are such a joke. Yeah, I know "happens everywhere", but doesn't make it right. They should just start giving out grades for playing sports since it is no longer "extra curricular", but yet the reason a student would change schools.  Which, last time I checked, is against the rules.

If a kid has the ability to go to college on an athletic scholarship and come out almost debt free, that is not a joke.  If the kid follows the KHSAA guidelines when they transfer, last time I checked, it was not against the rules.  Why would you want to keep a young athlete from putting themselves in a position to be successful?

If they were to "follow KHSAA guidelines" they wouldnt be transferring because of athletics.
(05-27-2022, 09:02 AM)Fanman Wrote: [ -> ]

If they were to "follow KHSAA guidelines" they wouldnt be transferring because of athletics.
Obviously they did “follow the KHSAA guidelines” or they would not be eligible.  If an athlete fits better at a school and it opens more doors in the future for him/her… anyone that truly cared for the kid would not say a word.  Do you honestly think that an athlete comes to a school and does not care about anything else?   Academics, college/vocational prep, area, school reputation, etc…. It is between the parents, the school and the KHSAA.  Which is none of my business or “Yours.”
Obviously Ashland will be down significantly from the last several years but at the same time should compete for the regional title. That being said, who else is competing for that title this coming year?
(05-27-2022, 10:51 PM)Appalachian Cat Wrote: [ -> ]

Obviously they did “follow the KHSAA guidelines” or they would not be eligible.  If an athlete fits better at a school and it opens more doors in the future for him/her… anyone that truly cared for the kid would not say a word.  Do you honestly think that an athlete comes to a school and does not care about anything else?   Academics, college/vocational prep, area, school reputation, etc…. It is between the parents, the school and the KHSAA.  Which is none of my business or “Yours.”

Lol. Touch a nerve? Wonder why.
Again, transferring schools JUST bc of athletics is a joke and against the rules.
(05-28-2022, 09:07 AM)Fanman Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-27-2022, 10:51 PM)Appalachian Cat Wrote: [ -> ]

Lol. Touch a nerve? Wonder why.
Again, transferring schools JUST bc of athletics is a joke and against the rules.
I ddin't mean to hurt your feelings.  You still haven't explained why it is a joke.  Again, for your own self-interest and not the good of the athlete/student.  Must have impacted someone close.  Maybe their playing time.  This is a very one-sided stance on a kid.  Finally, the kid should play where it best fits their academic and athletic future.  (Who cares if an adult gets their feelings hurt.)
Lol nice deflection, no feelings hurt here. And 0 close to me have been impacted by it.
High school should be about academic future, sports are "extra cirricular". Therefore transferring schools just because of athletics is a joke, IN MY OPINION. And is the case in a lot of transfers, including this one.
(05-28-2022, 09:00 PM)Fanman Wrote: [ -> ]Lol nice deflection, no feelings hurt here. And 0 close to me have been impacted by it.
High school should be about academic future, sports are "extra cirricular". Therefore transferring schools just because of athletics is a joke, IN MY OPINION. And is the case in a lot of transfers, including this one.

For some kids, athletics is the only means they have to pay for their education… (college).  It provides them with the opportunity to get an education and not be drowning in debt when they graduate.  Is that a joke too?
(05-29-2022, 12:13 AM)Appalachian Cat Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-28-2022, 09:00 PM)Fanman Wrote: [ -> ]Lol nice deflection, no feelings hurt here. And 0 close to me have been impacted by it.

For some kids, athletics is the only means they have to pay for their education… (college).  It provides them with the opportunity to get an education and not be drowning in debt when they graduate.  Is that a joke too?

What does that have to do with transferring schools? Unless the school they left didn't provide that particular sport, then yes its a joke.
(05-29-2022, 12:18 AM)Fanman Wrote: [ -> ]

What does that have to do with transferring schools? Unless the school they left didn't provide that particular sport, then yes its a joke.
Ok….it’s a marginal improvement for Ashland.  Probably puts them in the top three for certain in the region.  Who else is there with them?
Hopefully mommy and daddy can be happy now.

Everything to do with transferring.  A school offering a sport means nothing if it is not a fit for the player.  He went to a school that just had 2 D-1 and a D-2 graduate.  This was an easy decision for this young man and his family.
(05-29-2022, 02:23 PM)Appalachian Cat Wrote: [ -> ]

Everything to do with transferring.  A school offering a sport means nothing if it is not a fit for the player.  He went to a school that just had 2 D-1 and a D-2 graduate.  This was an easy decision for this young man and his family.

2 of those were at Ashland all their life, and the other since middle school. Didnt need to transfer their 5th year of high school to play college ball. Neither did the one this thread is about.
(05-29-2022, 11:16 AM)jamesclay Wrote: [ -> ]Hopefully mommy and daddy can be happy now.
Really you think mommy and daddy’s are at fault for wanting what they as adults think is best for this kid. I would hope all parents would do what’s best for each child.  Ashland has a track record for winning and it breeds success.  “If you build it they will come.”  And that’s exactly what’s happening here.
(05-30-2022, 09:16 PM)Ky1976 Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-29-2022, 11:16 AM)jamesclay Wrote: [ -> ]Hopefully mommy and daddy can be happy now.
Really you think mommy and daddy’s are at fault for wanting what they as adults think is best for this kid. I would hope all parents would do what’s best for each child.  Ashland has a track record for winning and it breeds success.  “If you build it they will come.”  And that’s exactly what’s happening here.

If it were only about winning next year, he'd stay where he is at. From what I hear, they are mad. Thats why he left. Not sure why.
(05-30-2022, 11:12 PM)Fanman Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-30-2022, 09:16 PM)Ky1976 Wrote: [ -> ]
Really you think mommy and daddy’s are at fault for wanting what they as adults think is best for this kid. I would hope
all parents would do what’s best for each child.  Ashland has a track record for winning and it breeds success.  “If you build it they will come.”  And that’s exactly what’s happening here. 

If it were only about winning next year, he'd stay where he is at. From what I hear, they are mad. Thats why he left. Not sure why.

Let’s say he stayed at Boyd. Do you think they beat Ashland next year?  I think the last 3 years across the board Boyd had  more talent, but didn’t either know how to use it or Coach JMays was just that good. Boyd isn’t winning with or without Deboard. My guess is he wants to be coached because IMO none of them have. 
[quote pid="2356366" dateline="1653966161"]
[quote pid="2356365" dateline="1653963126"]
 Let’s say he stayed at Boyd. Do you think they beat Ashland next year?  I think the last 3 years across the board Boyd had  more talent, but didn’t either know how to use it or Coach JMays was just that good. Boyd isn’t winning with or without Deboard. My guess is he wants to be coached because IMO none of them have. 
[/quote]

[/quote]

You saying Boyd isnt going to win either way, because of Coach Mays?
Talent level the last year in my opinion wasn’t comparable between Boyd and Ashland. Coaching in basketball is way overrated. You don’t beat a team by 30 and claim you got beat because of coaching. You got beat because the other team has much better players.

Not sure which school has more talent this year but I would give the nod to Ashland since Deboard left Boyd for Ashland.
Pages: 1 2