Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Powell County Boys Job (RUMOR)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
People close to the program say that new principal Wallace Bates is firing Boys Basketball Coach Allen Martin after just one year at the Helm.  Looks like Powell County will be looking for a new head coach in weeks to come.
Is this the same Wallace Nate’s that’s from breathitt county?

Bates
Yes
10/4
(04-17-2022, 12:57 AM)dkrude Wrote: [ -> ]People close to the program say that new principal Wallace Bates is firing Boys Basketball Coach Allen Martin after just one year at the Helm.  Looks like Powell County will be looking for a new head coach in weeks to come.

I hope this is true.  As a life long Pirate fan it has been so disheartening to see how our sports programs have become the very bottom of the 14th Region.  Its like the powers in charge have just totally given up on our kids.  We have an athletic director that has ZERO knowledge of sports.  I'm not sure he ever played a day of sports in his life.  He has single handedly destroyed Powell County sports.  If you've ever watched the PCHS boys play, you can see that coach Martin isn't ready to coach at the High School level.  Should've never been hired to begin with.  I hope what I've heard about Wallace is true. These kids deserve a principal that's a leader and someone who will put the kids needs above the feelings of grown adults.
No knock to the Pirates but they went down hill when Ad Monroe Jones left. Guy lived and breathed Pirate sports and done what was best in the athletics interest to make sure each team was always competitive.
Powell and Estill both have enrollments to be competitive every year in the region in all boys and girls sports. I believe the last time I checked they both had around 700 students in grades 9-12. After Letcher and Perry they are the next largest high schools in the 14th region. It all begins with the building programs in the elementary grades and a lot of work but it can be done. It didn’t take Dave Fraley long to turn Powell into a regional contender in the late ‘60s and into the ‘70s. He won the region in ‘74 and should have won it in ‘77 if not for a no call foul that resulted in a turnover toward the end of a semifinal game when his team had a 1 point lead.
Fraley is proof it can be done at Powell. Monroe Jones did an excellent job as well when he was head coach in the 1990s.
I’d be shocked if this is true

I feel like Martin was hired because he’s a home town guy whose been around the program since he graduated and really loves the job. I think he was hired because he’s some who would stick around for 20+ years and really be committed to building Powell County. If it is true I just hold they get it right. Haven’t had a coach for more than 2 seasons since we had Brian Hall. We was dumb to do ever let him go.

(04-19-2022, 08:53 PM)ThePowellPirate Wrote: [ -> ]I’d be shocked if this is true

I feel like Martin was hired because he’s a home town guy whose been around the program since he graduated and really loves the job. I think he was hired because he’s some who would stick around for 20+ years and really be committed to building Powell County. If it is true I just hope they get it right. Haven’t had a coach for more than 2 seasons since we had Brian Hall. We was dumb to do ever let him go.

I can’t figure out how to work this dang site sorry about the quote. Idk how to delete it. I was trying to edit my earlier post. My apologies.
Martin may be a hometown guy but that doesn't make him an automatic fit for the program. We have a guy who picks up pop bottles in town, lived here and will always live here, that doesn't make him a coach. Facts are Martin was a losing coach in middle school, as a freshman coach and as the head of the program.  He blames his kids for his losses instead of owning the fact he doesn't know how to teach them. If those kids aren't developed on the court as Varsity players who does he have to blame besides himself. Looks like we finally have a principal that has the leadership to do what's best. Bottom line Allen is gone.
It would be nice to see a younger person start getting these head-coaching jobs. Basketball is changing and the older coaches want to keep the player old ball, let's see some younger people getting these head coach's jobs. They can relate to the players a lot better.
(04-20-2022, 10:19 AM)bobkitty Wrote: [ -> ]It would be nice to see a younger person start getting these head-coaching jobs. Basketball is changing and the older coaches want to keep the player old ball, let's see some younger people getting these head coach's jobs. They can relate to the players a lot better.
I'm not concerned with the age of the coach. I'm concerned with the abilities the coach has. Will take a veteran, proven, and successful coach over an incompetent young coach any day. Can't build a program on losing. There is a lot of blame to be spread around on the state of all Pirate sports not just basketball. It starts with the superintendent then to the AD. Both care more about their ego than the kids.
I never said he hung the moon I’m just saying hire a coach and give me his fair shake. You can’t tell nothing from one year. Talent helps too.
Powell has been a hard job to keep since the Ryan Whitaker leaving issue.
Early thoughts on new coach?
- Corey Hoskins
- Josh Broadwell
Whitaker got ran out of town, Fraley got his 700, and the last 2 guys probably haven’t been the best options. I’m just saying get it right. Basketball gets more support than any other sport in the county. I personally think baseball should but that’s me. And it’s a big reason why coach Varney left. And a big reason why Brandon Brewer left for Prestonsburg in football. Hopefully this new principal can pull some strings and get a big name. But I doubt anyone would want it. My high school basketball coach said this to us and I played at Powell, “When I first took this job, people called me crazy. They said Powell County is where coaches go to die.” Someone needs to come in and change the culture. Absolutely disgraceful the enrollment we have and year after year barely being able to compete for a district title. Much less the region. Get an AD that cares, get a principal who cares, and get someone in here that can WIN. No matter what it takes.
After some of the things I’ve seen I do not think this is true. I didn’t think so to begin with.
Has anyone heard anything on this? I mean back in time under Monroe they would have fired someone early in their tenure like this. But I do not see it under the current AD. Then again that coach Blake from Knott County he got canned after a season right?
This Post made no sense to begin with. I can’t imagine a new principal coming in with the first agenda to be to fire the basketball coach especially in this situation . I saw Powell play several times and I thought Martins teams played hard and aggressive .
(05-12-2022, 10:44 AM)Loaded Goat Wrote: [ -> ]This Post made no sense to begin with. I can’t imagine a new principal coming in with the first agenda to be to fire the basketball coach especially in this situation . I saw Powell play several times and I thought Martins teams played hard and aggressive .
Not sure anyone said this was his first agenda but replacing the coach is definitely on the agenda.  And lets be honest, if you actually saw Powell play several times and thought they played hard and aggressive then you are either 1) visually impaired or 2) coach Martin in disguise trying to drum up support.  I mean seriously, how many running clocks did the Pirates have this year.  I think the Pirates are set to become competitive again in all sports.  I've taken the time to look at the schools that Wallace has been associated with.  It's about winning, building student athletes into leaders, and boosting overall moral.  Powell County has needed a leader like Wallace for years.
I heard Steve Wright is in the mix. (Not really but I wouldn't be surprised.