Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Rupp Arena No More?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Browsing the Lexington Herald a few minutes ago and found this.

http://www.kentucky.com/254/story/209651.html

Do I think we need a new arena? No, there is so much that can be done to that place to attract players one being that they can add the video bands running across the upper level dividers that you find at other college and NBA arenas. As far as seating goes, you could build a 35,000 seat arena and still sell out every game. A bigger arena would allow for the luxury boxes that everyone has wanted, more season tickets coming available, and the regular fans can find a ticket in their pocket much easier. It'll be fun to see what comes about this.
No, we don't need a new arena. Keeping the tickets at a lower number will keep the demand high.
Too much history at Rupp, although a new arena would be nice.
I don't know if I like the idea. I'll have to read more in tomorrows paper.
Yeah, they said there is going to be more about the situation tomorrow. Must have been recent breaking news or something. A recent upgrade to the concourse areas, concessions, and the entry gates was done about 3 seasons ago and it looks really nice. Just a few slight modifications here and there is all that is needed IMO.
I agree, GRIZZ. Nothing too drastic, but a few slight modifications and Rupp will be fine.
this is wishful thinking, but the best upgrade Rupp could ever ask for is to put the student section right on the floor..
I will have to read more tomorrow before I determine how I feel. I do agree that a larger area for the student section is needed. I would seggest the little section that runs along the baseline and the other end of the court.
I agree with ya there. I remember when Pitino was there and it was usually so quiet you could hear him stomp the floor with his foot it was so quiet, lol. I would love to see a bigger student section and some newer modifications wouldn't hurt Rupp at all, other than that it is all good!

TidesHoss32 Wrote:this is wishful thinking, but the best upgrade Rupp could ever ask for is to put the student section right on the floor..
I like the idea of building a bigger arena to get more fans (and students) at the games. Also the addition of luxury boxes would be nice to have. But if this does happen, it is probably 10+ years down the road from being completed. Then again, a bigger arena means the fans have to be louder to have the same effect.
TidesHoss32 Wrote:this is wishful thinking, but the best upgrade Rupp could ever ask for is to put the student section right on the floor..

that would help out a lot. with the student section on the floor, we will distract a lot of teams and shake them.
I think its past time for a new arena. I love Rupp and all, but its old and outdated. It would give alot more season tickets. I would like to see the new arena around seating 70-75,000
http://www.wlextv.com/Global/story.asp?S=7249133

LEXINGTON
City Leaders Begin Process Of Replacing Rupp Arena

(AP) - City leaders took the first step Monday toward planning a downtown arena that would replace the existing Rupp Arena as the home of Kentucky's basketball team.

Lexington's Downtown Development Authority voted unanimously to hire a consultant to look into the finances of tearing down Rupp and building a larger arena, perhaps on an adjacent parking lot.

Man if they do tear Rupp down, I will be a sad sad person! I LOVE RUPP!!!!
BelfryPride Wrote:. I would like to see the new arena around seating 70-75,000

I think that may be a few too many seats. Smile
BelfryPride Wrote:I think its past time for a new arena. I love Rupp and all, but its old and outdated. It would give alot more season tickets. I would like to see the new arena around seating 70-75,000

Up in the nose bleeds it would look like ten ants playing ball.
they shouldnt tear down rupp. why would they want to do that???
I hate to say it but if they did build this new gigantic srena they would have no choice but to bring it down.....I can't believe I would ever say that... I love Rupp too!
I don't think this is a good idea, to much history in Rupp, wonder if they make a new arena will they still call it Rupp or will the change the name?
I think it would be nice to have an arena that can seat around 30,000 or so people. I'm sure UK would have no trouble selling the extra seats as well as the luxury boxes.

Still, it would be a shame to see Rupp go. I have seen a lot of games in that place, and UK has won 3 national titles during their time there.
I think it would be a disgrace to get a new arena...i dont mind renovating Rupp but to get rid of a place that has so much history, and by far the most storied program in the nation...Rupp Arena goes with Uk basketball, like peas go with carrots
This needs to happen and will happen eventually. Rupp Arena is 30 years old, and renovation is not the answer. I know it's full of tradition but progress must be made for the good of the city and the basketball team. This would put the white haired stiffs in luxury boxes and move a few more true fans closer to the court and would allow more people to attend the games.

Rupp Arena is owned by the city, and they will do what is good for the city. Right now it is limited in what in can accomplish as far as events go and a new arena would bring more events to the area which is growing by the year.
Having a new larger arena could open Lexington up to potentially hosting later rounds of the NCAA tournament. Also, by building a new arena you can put the student section closer to the floor as all other big schools do. Sure there is tradition at Rupp, but there was tradition at Memorial too. U.K. fans don't need to get up in arms, think of all the good that will come of this. Can you imagine the atmosphere of 30 or 40 thousand people cheering for the cats against Louisville or Florida. That would be tough place to play.
Booya Wrote:Sure there is tradition at Rupp, but there was tradition at Memorial too. U.K. fans don't need to get up in arms, think of all the good that will come of this. Can you imagine the atmosphere of 30 or 40 thousand people cheering for the cats against Louisville or Florida. That would be tough place to play.

Good point. Memorial had tons of tradition as well, UK just out grew that arena. UK is out growing Rupp now. I mean you have 23,000+ to show up for the teams first practice, the fans will come as long as there is seating available.
alfus21 Wrote:I think that may be a few too many seats. Smile

True, what about 102,000-105,000 like the dome that Syracuse plays in
GRIZZ Wrote:Good point. Memorial had tons of tradition as well, UK just out grew that arena. UK is out growing Rupp now. I mean you have 23,000+ to show up for the teams first practice, the fans will come as long as there is seating available.

I love Rupp too, but I agree that we have outgrown the place. We have proven that we can sell it out on a consistent basis and has been sold out ever since it was built.

I think it's time that Kentucky and the fans get a new downtown arena.
I think the new arena they will be making should seat 55-65 Thousand.
I think it will be a great idea to get a new Arena. New Cats, New looks, New Coach, so why not a new Arena.

Wonder if they will keep the big UK in the middle of the new court, or put a picture of a wildcat instead?
BelfryPride Wrote:True, what about 102,000-105,000 like the dome that Syracuse plays in

? The Carrier Dome holds 33,000 for basketball games @ Syracuse.
Spartan4Life Wrote:I think the new arena they will be making should seat 55-65 Thousand.

That would be pointless. The arena would be a ghost town on weeknight games. You can expect to see somewhere around 30,000 for the new arena, maybe 35,000.
Pages: 1 2