Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Rupp Arena No More?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
alfus21 Wrote:That would be pointless. The arena would be a ghost town on weeknight games. You can expect to see somewhere around 30,000 for the new arena, maybe 35,000.

If we can sell 71 thousand seats at a UK football game I think we can sell 65 Thousand at a UK basketball game anyone agree?
Spartan4Life Wrote:If we can sell 71 thousand seats at a UK football game I think we can sell 65 Thousand at a UK basketball game anyone agree?

Yeah some games, but considering there are at most 8 home football games per year and around 15-20 basketball games people will be less willing to buy the tickets more often. Prices will be too high, and most people can't travel to the weeknight games which are pretty often once the SEC season starts.

Trust me when I say, the arena will hold around 30-35 thousand at most.
The Lexington Center Corp. and the Downtown Development Authority next week will issue a "request for proposal" for a consultant to identify the best boundaries for the TIF district and complete an economic analysis for that area.

A consultant, expected to be selected by spring, will do a market analysis for a basketball arena seating between 24,000 and 30,000. The analysis would include construction and operational costs as well as revenue projections. The consultant will be asked to evaluate possible uses for Rupp Arena.

http://www.kentucky.com/454/story/210997.html
alfus21 Wrote:Yeah some games, but considering there are at most 8 home football games per year and around 15-20 basketball games people will be less willing to buy the tickets more often. Prices will be too high, and most people can't travel to the weeknight games which are pretty often once the SEC season starts.

Trust me when I say, the arena will hold around 30-35 thousand at most.

I agree, UK would not be able to sell out 60,000 seats for midweek games, especially for no-name opponents. You would have a lot of empty seats in the upper deck.

Like you said, you can't compare a basketball arena to football games. There are only a handful of home games each season in football, plus they are all (at least at UK) on Saturdays, making it easy for fans out in the state to make the drive.

Hopefully, the new arena will be on the upper end of the 24-30 thousand range as mentioned in the article.
Dome Commonwealth, imagine 80-90 thousand rabid screaming UK fans. Pretty awesome huh. Not practical though. UK needs a bigger arena it will help to grow, recruit, and possible get some sweet 16 to final four games.
yea i think a new arena would be great
I want UK to have its own gym so they can practice in it but I also dont.
RavenBoy Wrote:I want UK to have its own gym so they can practice in it but I also dont.

Huh?

They do have their own gym.
:confused:
busted-yo-bubble Wrote:yea i think a new arena would be great

But there is so much history at the old one.
Rupp will always be a special place in the hearts of UK fans but maybe its time to get bigger.
bluegrassballa Wrote:But there is so much history at the old one.

There was history at Memorial Coliseum too, but we moved on to bigger and better facilities.

We will just make more history at a new facility.
ComfortEagle Wrote:There was history at Memorial Coliseum too, but we moved on to bigger and better facilities.

We will just make more history at a new facility.

I never thought of it that way. But, your right!!
40,000 sounds good to me. We Are KENTUCKY. We have the most loyal fans in the nation. They'll fill the arena no matter how many seats there are. GO CATS!!!
Pages: 1 2