Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: (14) Florida - 45 (8) Kentucky - 37
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Cats fell short
I was worried Tebow would be too much for the Cats... sad that I was right... Kentuckys offensive line allowed too many sacks.. Keenan Burton didn't do jack except catch the last TD as time expired.... He needs to wake up
They said the loser of this game would be out of the Heisman race but I don't see how you can drop Woodson out when he had 415 yards, 5 TDs, and no INTs.

But this is the first game that I have watched Tebow play, and this guy is for real.

Cats looked flat in the first half. With drives 2-4 only resulting in 3 points, that hurt. Only second loss of the season. Still 4 games to go, can't drop the head now.

Cats should drop to 13-15 in the rankings IMO, but will probably fall further, although I do believe they gained a lot of respect today by playing Florida close and showing that last week wasn't a fluke.
Losing this game can all be traced back to the first half, when the Cats had several opportunities on offense to put a lot of points on the board. I already vented about this in the 'game update' thread, but since it did come back to bite them, I'm going to vent again.

In the first half, Woodson cost his team several points both from missing open receivers and taking too many sacks. If Woodson doesn't take two sacks on the second drive, we get at least a field goal. If he doesn't miss a wide-open Burton in the end zone on the third drive, we get a touchdown instead of zilch. And if he doesn't miss an open guy on the last drive of the half, we get 7 points instead of 3. So, by my count, without those mistakes we would have had 24 points at halftime (instead of 10), which would also have had us ahead 24-21.

Bottom line, I thought UK outplayed the Gators most of the game. Even though UK couldn't stop Florida on defense (as I expected), neither could they stop our offense until we stopped ourselves. Kentucky actually outgained the Gators by almost a hundred yards, but Tebow made all the plays when he needed to while Woodson didn't. Although he played a great second half and ended up with great stats (415 yds, 5 TD), Woodson was still outplayed by his counterpart today in a game that will hurt his Heisman chances.

Oh well, time to regroup and be ready for next week. With all the upsets today in the SEC, the Cats are not yet out of the race for the East division crown!
Kentucky played like a bunch of girls. No blocking what so ever, Woodson was sacked numerous times, LSU didn't even hurry him as many times as he was sacked tonight.

Keenan Burton needs benched, he hasn't done jack his past few games. UK needs to step it up if they wanna finish this season on a high note.
3 plays killed UK this game. The fake draw play that went for a 60 yard TD, the kickoff return before the first half, and once again the fake draw play that led to Florida's last score. The DB's bit on Tebow running and come out of coverage. Every DB knows that you play pass first until the guy is across the line of scrimmage, had they stayed in coverage they may not have got beat deep. Then the long 61 yard kickoff return that set up their final TD before the first pass. Right there could possibly be a 21 point swing in UK's favor. Everyone said the fatigue factor would come into play, and its really hard to tell. The Cats looked sluggish and the offensive line was horrible in the first. The second half they looked a lot better except some break downs by the offensive line. Locke had another great game, and Woodson was solid except for a few miscues with his WR's. The defense gave up several 3rd and longs for first downs and we had that same problem last week. I was pleased for the most part with the game, I just wish we would've won because with South Carolina getting beat by Vandy we would've been in sole position of the #1 spot in the East. I look for UK maybe to fall to 11 or 12. I still think we will win out. Mississippi State should be a little bit easier on us, then we have an off week before heading to Vandy and Georgia in back to back weeks.
i really cant believe that uk lost the game. it looked like uk didnt play like they played against LSU. but tebow did play hard and played extremely good. i guess the better team won.
Defense lost this game. Florida was 7-11 on third down.
I just hope they don't get down on themselves there is still alot of football left, I think that when they watch the film they will realize they let this one get away, they had the opportunities they just didn't capitalize on them.
Alright, first of all Florida is a great team, IMO top 5 in the nation, along with Kentucky and LSU. And this cannot be blamed on Woodson, he had his best game of the season against a top 5 team. All of you praising Coach Rich Brooks, this had to have changed your mind. Some of the calls he made would absolutely idiotic. The onside was possibly the stupidest call I've seen in college football, especially right after you just cut the lead to 7 points and have all the momentum. And the 4th and 9, you go for it instead of kicking a field goal? I know we don't have the best kicker, but to go for it just doesn't make any sense to me. I also didn't understand why we set up a great defensive scheme for LSU, mixing things up with blitzes and stunts, but rush four guys the whole night. Maybe we should look at a new defensive cooridinator.

The SEC continues to show its dominance, just too bad we just ruin each others BCS chances every year.

Lets pull things back together next week, and finish running the table.
Terrible job by the O-Line tonight. The past 2 games, Woodson was sacked 0 times. Tonight, he was sacked 6 times I think. Woodson, still had a stellar game though. Tebow, is for real. He's a real threat either way. Hopefully UK rebounds good from this loss.
The rushing defense has been awful all year, and it really bit them today...

Still a great effort and still in the thick of the SEC hunt... but this would have been a HUGE win for the program and the national championship possibility.... would have been in the top five in the BCS for sure....
Kentucky has not been able to stop anyone all year on 3rd down. I realize Tebow is unlike any QB they've faced all year, but come on. Several times, they had Florida at 3rd & 6-7+. Woodson had an excellent game. A few times he missed an open receiver, and IMO, one thing he does that needs to improve, is he needs to get rid of the ball. A few of the sacks he took could have been avoided had he thrown the ball away. But nonetheless, 35-50, 415 yards, and 5 TDs isn't a bad day. Too bad he can't play defense too. Burton needs to step it up. You would think Johnson is the senior who has been here for 4 years. Locke continues to impress me, and Lyons had a career day. Tebow is the real deal, and he can only get better. I still UK can win out and finish 10-2, but their defense has to play better, especially on 3rd down. Exciting game overall! The SEC East as a division is better than most conferences, and how great it is to be talking about football championships instead of looking forward to basketball.
The refs wasn't calling much either. The onside kick that kentucky kicked should of stayed with them. Florida was holdin and pass inaferious (sp) all the time and the refs wouldn't call much. This was the 1st college football game i've been too and I tho it was great. Kentucky really just beat there outself today
blackcat Wrote:All of you praising Coach Rich Brooks, this had to have changed your mind. Some of the calls he made would absolutely idiotic. The onside was possibly the stupidest call I've seen in college football, especially right after you just cut the lead to 7 points and have all the momentum. And the 4th and 9, you go for it instead of kicking a field goal? I know we don't have the best kicker, but to go for it just doesn't make any sense to me. I also didn't understand why we set up a great defensive scheme for LSU, mixing things up with blitzes and stunts, but rush four guys the whole night. Maybe we should look at a new defensive cooridinator.
IMO, you can't be more wrong with theses statements.

1. The onside was a great call. The defense had not been able to stop Florida all afternoon so why not try something a little creative? The momentum was shifting like you said, but recover that and tie up the game then talk about ti shit. Great timing for it to. UF was not expecting it at all. They didn't have a player within 10 yards of the ball. Just a little bad of a bounce and a UK player touches it about 6 inches too soon. The right call might I add.

2. Again, I think it was not a good idea to kick the field goal. It would have been a 47 yarder into the wind (already missed a 48 yarder with wind behind you). In games like this you are going to have to take big chances to keep the scoring up.

3. The defense did a poor job but with all the playmakers that Florida has, you can't just come at them with 6 or 7 guys. That leaves an easy quick out to one of their speedy players who would have been in man coverage. Blitzing LSU was a better choice because they didn't have a mobile QB. Tebow could also just tuck and run the ball with ease. I would say that only 4-5 were sent on most plays because there was always one, if not two, LBs 'spying' Tebow to contain him. This did leave a lot of one-on-one matchups downfield and perfect passes allowed for the big plays. Not to mention I believe their Running Back only had one carry the whole game, and that was in the 4th quarter. Bringing WRs in motion and setting them up in the backfield forces defenses to respect all possibilities (Pass, Run, Option).

Like I said before, Tebow is an AMAZING player who deserves a lot of respect for both his running and passing ability. UK's run defense did a great job not allowing a play longer than 26 yards. I think we might all be forgetting just how good this UF team is. UK played a heck of a game and showed that they deserve more respect from eveyone. The east division is unreal and as mentioned by another poster, has 3-4 top 10 teams this year if not top 5.
Beef Wrote:IMO, you can't be more wrong with theses statements.

1. The onside was a great call. The defense had not been able to stop Florida all afternoon so why not try something a little creative? The momentum was shifting like you said, but recover that and tie up the game then talk about ti shit. Great timing for it to. UF was not expecting it at all. They didn't have a player within 10 yards of the ball. Just a little bad of a bounce and a UK player touches it about 6 inches too soon. The right call might I add.

2. Again, I think it was not a good idea to kick the field goal. It would have been a 47 yarder into the wind (already missed a 48 yarder with wind behind you). In games like this you are going to have to take big chances to keep the scoring up.

3. The defense did a poor job but with all the playmakers that Florida has, you can't just come at them with 6 or 7 guys. That leaves an easy quick out to one of their speedy players who would have been in man coverage. Blitzing LSU was a better choice because they didn't have a mobile QB. Tebow could also just tuck and run the ball with ease. I would say that only 4-5 were sent on most plays because there was always one, if not two, LBs 'spying' Tebow to contain him. This did leave a lot of one-on-one matchups downfield and perfect passes allowed for the big plays. Not to mention I believe their Running Back only had one carry the whole game, and that was in the 4th quarter. Bringing WRs in motion and setting them up in the backfield forces defenses to respect all possibilities (Pass, Run, Option).

Like I said before, Tebow is an AMAZING player who deserves a lot of respect for both his running and passing ability. UK's run defense did a great job not allowing a play longer than 26 yards. I think we might all be forgetting just how good this UF team is. UK played a heck of a game and showed that they deserve more respect from eveyone. The east division is unreal and as mentioned by another poster, has 3-4 top 10 teams this year if not top 5.

I agree, great post!!
I think it's so funny that:
LSU beats Florida, Auburn and South Carolina
UK beats LSU
Florida beats UK and Auburn
South Carolina beats UK
Vanderbilt beats South Carolina
Typical UK fans, praising the team and coach one week, bitching about every little thing the next. Where do I even begin with my rants on this one and rants on the fans’ reactions?

mrfootball03 Wrote:Keenan Burton didn't do jack except catch the last TD as time expired.... He needs to wake up

Keenan Burton has been ill since just before the LSU game with the flu. He was puking last week during the LSU game, not to mention he retweaked his ankle last week and again early today. He did not hurt the team at all today they just put the best corners on him, and he is awake. Woodson missed him wide open more than once today. He got injured taking a big hit on that last TD. I wish him the best. Other fans should be patient with inured, sick players and do the same. He opens up the passing game for players like Johnson, Lyons, and Tamme. He is a known threat so it is obvious to draw more attention to him. He helps even when he’s not putting up big numbers.

ComeFlyWithMe Wrote:Keenan Burton needs benched, he hasn't done jack his past few games. UK needs to step it up if they wanna finish this season on a high note.

See above on Burton. He is a great leader on and off the field and a very talented receiver. Yeah let’s bench him because of a couple of rough games. Give me a break.

UK needs to step it up? That’s pretty comical. 6-2 on the season, coming off a win over the undisputed #1 team in the country, in the middle of the toughest 3 game stretch anybody in the country has….lose by one TD, 0 turnovers, and playing without several players. They have stepped it up this year and passed every fans’ expectations this season already. They will finish strong, so don’t worry about that.

blackcat Wrote:All of you praising Coach Rich Brooks, this had to have changed your mind. Some of the calls he made would absolutely idiotic. The onside was possibly the stupidest call I've seen in college football, especially right after you just cut the lead to 7 points and have all the momentum. And the 4th and 9, you go for it instead of kicking a field goal? I know we don't have the best kicker, but to go for it just doesn't make any sense to me. I also didn't understand why we set up a great defensive scheme for LSU, mixing things up with blitzes and stunts, but rush four guys the whole night. Maybe we should look at a new defensive cooridinator.

I don’t think this changed anyone’s mind. So keep dreaming on that one pal. Brooks will continue to be praised by me and many others. But I guess a top 10 ranking at Kentucky Football isn’t good enough is it? J

The onside kick was an awesome call. They never expected it and we had, but the kid just got too excited and got it a little early.

Why not go for it on that 4th down? Our kicker pretty weak and had already missed one from a similar distance. Why take a chance on their defense blocking it and returning it when you have a Heisman candidate in at QB that can many times convert the 4th down.

Defense--It appears they did a poor job but show me any team in the country that has an easy time containing that offense. Yeah, let’s bring Mike Archer back.

In closing I just want to say that the offensive line was poor today. Tebow will get hurt bad one of these days in his college career if he keeps running reckless into defenders.
The crowd was great (record attendance). Gameday was awesome. The East is wide open as Florida and South Carolina still have tough schedules ahead. We can win out. And we’re still a great team.

True class from many fans and the student section who actually stayed the whole game like you’re supposed to, giving the team a standing ovation as they came off the field after the game. Win or lose this team deserves it.
alfus21 Wrote:Typical UK fans, praising the team and coach one week, bitching about every little thing the next. Where do I even begin with my rants on this one and rants on the fans’ reactions?

Keenan Burton has been ill since just before the LSU game with the flu. He was puking last week during the LSU game, not to mention he retweaked his ankle last week and again early today. He did not hurt the team at all today they just put the best corners on him, and he is awake. Woodson missed him wide open more than once today. He got injured taking a big hit on that last TD. I wish him the best. Other fans should be patient with inured, sick players and do the same. He opens up the passing game for players like Johnson, Lyons, and Tamme. He is a known threat so it is obvious to draw more attention to him. He helps even when he’s not putting up big numbers.

See above on Burton. He is a great leader on and off the field and a very talented receiver. Yeah let’s bench him because of a couple of rough games. Give me a break.

UK needs to step it up? That’s pretty comical. 6-2 on the season, coming off a win over the undisputed #1 team in the country, in the middle of the toughest 3 game stretch anybody in the country has….lose by one TD, 0 turnovers, and playing without several players. They have stepped it up this year and passed every fans’ expectations this season already. They will finish strong, so don’t worry about that.

I don’t think this changed anyone’s mind. So keep dreaming on that one pal. Brooks will continue to be praised by me and many others. But I guess a top 10 ranking at Kentucky Football isn’t good enough is it? J

The onside kick was an awesome call. They never expected it and we had, but the kid just got too excited and got it a little early.

Why not go for it on that 4th down? Our kicker pretty weak and had already missed one from a similar distance. Why take a chance on their defense blocking it and returning it when you have a Heisman candidate in at QB that can many times convert the 4th down.

Defense--It appears they did a poor job but show me any team in the country that has an easy time containing that offense. Yeah, let’s bring Mike Archer back.

In closing I just want to say that the offensive line was poor today. Tebow will get hurt bad one of these days in his college career if he keeps running reckless into defenders.
The crowd was great (record attendance). Gameday was awesome. The East is wide open as Florida and South Carolina still have tough schedules ahead. We can win out. And we’re still a great team.

True class from many fans and the student section who actually stayed the whole game like you’re supposed to, giving the team a standing ovation as they came off the field after the game. Win or lose this team deserves it.

I said they need to step it up to end on a high note. I'm not downing the team after they lose against a good Florida team at all, we were in this game till the end. UK is a great team, just their run defense is poor, and everyone who has been watching them can admit that. UK really does need to step it up to go out as good as they started, they're still in contention to win the East, but other teams are starting to see weaknesses, so they need to get more stout up front on defense.
ComeFlyWithMe Wrote:I think it's so funny that:
LSU beats Florida, Auburn and South Carolina
UK beats LSU
Florida beats UK and Auburn
South Carolina beats UK
Vanderbilt beats South Carolina

Florida didn't beat Auburn
mrfootball03 Wrote:Florida didn't beat Auburn

Sorry bout that, I watched that game till the end, dunno why I put that.
ComeFlyWithMe Wrote:I said they need to step it up to end on a high note. I'm not downing the team after they lose against a good Florida team at all, we were in this game till the end. UK is a great team, just their run defense is poor, and everyone who has been watching them can admit that. UK really does need to step it up to go out as good as they started, they're still in contention to win the East, but other teams are starting to see weaknesses, so they need to get more stout up front on defense.

Sorry if I take you the wrong way. I just thought you meant they had been playing poor as a whole. Any team could step it up but I still don't think Kentucky was down or anything today. I don't know any team that could be 100% up and healthy after playing LSU against a team with two weeks rest who just lost a teammate. But yeah the defense needs to toughen up. Tebow made them look bad several times as they were trying to tackle him high instead of taking him down at the legs.

On another note, I want to say that Derrick Locke is a beast, and will be for 3 more years.
alfus21 Wrote:Sorry if I take you the wrong way. I just thought you meant they had been playing poor as a whole. Any team could step it up but I still don't think Kentucky was down or anything today. I don't know any team that could be 100% up and healthy after playing LSU against a team with two weeks rest who just lost a teammate. But yeah the defense needs to toughen up. Tebow made them look bad several times as they were trying to tackle him high instead of taking him down at the legs.

On another note, I want to say that Derrick Locke is a beast, and will be for 3 more years.

Locke might not be there for 3 more years, he is going to try out for the Olympics because of his track records, so that might come calling his name.
ComeFlyWithMe Wrote:Locke might not be there for 3 more years, he is going to try out for the Olympics because of his track records, so that might come calling his name.

He'll see the big picture and what football can do for someone talented like him.

Medals or $$$? Medals won't put food on his table. A stint in the NFL will, and teams will be drooling over him in a couple of years.
So what does this do to UK's bowl aperence, What bowl will they most likely be playing in, cause I doubt they will be playing for the National Championship now? I herd that tickets for next season was already sold out, is this true?
Beef Wrote:IMO, you can't be more wrong with theses statements.

Obviously they made a lot of wrong calls, we lost. Name one coach in College Football that would have kicked an onside, there wouldn't be any. You just don't do it, give your defense a chance. With the field goal, it would be understandable with 4th and 3 or something, but 4th and 9... if he would have missed it's the same outcome. LSU doesn't have a mobile QB? Flynn ran for just as many important yards as Tebow did and I know his speed is much better than Tebow's. And Florida does have so many talented players, but simply giving Tebow so much time only allows them to break free, think about it. Joker Phillips did a great job, my hat is off to him, but the rest of the coaching staff I just don't know about.
blackcat Wrote:Obviously they made a lot of wrong calls, we lost. Name one coach in College Football that would have kicked an onside, there wouldn't be any. You just don't do it, give your defense a chance. With the field goal, it would be understandable with 4th and 3 or something, but 4th and 9... if he would have missed it's the same outcome. LSU doesn't have a mobile QB? Flynn ran for just as many important yards as Tebow did and I know his speed is much better than Tebow's. And Florida does have so many talented players, but simply giving Tebow so much time only allows them to break free, think about it. Joker Phillips did a great job, my hat is off to him, but the rest of the coaching staff I just don't know about.

I can't name one that would have made that call, and you can't name one that wouldn't have made that call. Many coaches try this sort of thing in big games at home. You're crazy if you don't think that no other coach would do that. It's done all the time.

Flynn is not faster than Tebow. He ran for 53 yards against UK, Tebow ran for 78.

Tebow has 578 rushing yards on the year.
Flynn has 138.

Tebow is much faster and better than Flynn.

And if you don't like the coaching staff, please and I mean please jump off the bandwagon right now.
NYY10 Wrote:So what does this do to UK's bowl aperence, What bowl will they most likely be playing in, cause I doubt they will be playing for the National Championship now? I herd that tickets for next season was already sold out, is this true?

Bowl appearance will be most likely Capital One bowl in Orlando or Outback bowl in Tampa.

And no, there is no way the tickets are sold out for next season.
Florida had great field position the whole game, and there was nothing the UK defense could do with there offense. Andre had a wonderful game and so did Lyons. But I don't agree with the call to squib it on that last kickoff, they should have let Matshay kill it, but once again the Gators got good field position and punched it in. Congrats Gators!

The SEC East race isn't over yet!
ComeFlyWithMe Wrote:Locke might not be there for 3 more years, he is going to try out for the Olympics because of his track records, so that might come calling his name.

Speakin of Locke, he needs to be returnin kicks.
Pages: 1 2