Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: The Music of Your Parents : What Songs Do You Like Best ?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
A comment  in a another music thread by my friend, Jetpilot, gave me an idea for this thread topic.

When I was younger, I didn't really care for, or appreciate, the music my parents(or grandparents) listened to and enjoyed in their day. As I've gotten older, I have developed a much greater appreciation for the music of my elders' day.  

What are some of the songs that your parents or grandparents liked that you now appreciate and enjoy?  I'm thinking of music that was strictly from your parents' era , not music that overlapped with that of your younger days. I'm thinking music from when your prarents were in their younger teens through their twenties to around 30.   I started getting interested in music when my dad was about 32.  "His music"  would span the period from the early 50's through the mid to late 60's.   The seventies and eighties would be my decades.

My dad always loved a song by Jay and the Americans called "Cara Mia, sung by the great Jay Black, one of the best vocalists from  ANY era.  What are some of the songs from your parents'(or grandparents') era that you like?

Here's my favorite song from Jay and the Americans. I remember hearing dad play it a lot when I was a kid but now it has become one of MY all time favorites.

"THIS MAGIC MOMENT"  by Jay and the Americans:  RIP  Jay ...

This song is one I actually remember as a 9- y.o. Dad used to take my sister and me down to the Krystal Kitchen diner down on Main St. and we'd eat and play the pinball machine and dad would put a quarter in the jukebox and play some tunes. One that we always heard when we went to the Krystal Kitchen was "Easy Lovin' by the late, great Freddie Hart. Love this song. It was a big hit on the country charts back in '71. It's always been one of dad's favorites.

Written in 1956 and first recorded in 1957 by the great Johnny Mathis. This has always been one of my father's favorite love songs. It has been covered by about everyone, including Elvis.

Here's a classic from when my parents were teenagers and dating up a storm.

Mom has always been a big Tom Jones fan. As a kid, I couldn't really understand it.  I just thought this was some guy who gyrated his hips , prompting women to throw their panties at him. As I grew up, I realized what all the fuss was about. This dude is one of the greatest singers that ever lived, bar none.  Right up there with Presley and maybe better.  Here's my favorite Sir Tom song from the late sixties.

1956 ...  Patti Page .  'Nuff said .

Maybe the greatest country crooner of all time--- "Gentleman" Jim Reeves.

Interesting little bit of trivia. When Elton John was just a youngster staring out playing  small pubs in England,    he sang Jim Reeves' songs.  Occasionally, in years past you could , on rare occasions, hear Elton sing this one in concert.
This was the #1  song  in the country on the  very day I was born in 1962.  Dad was 22 ; mom was 18.

Here's my personal favorite  Frankie & the Four Seasons song from the sixties:   "RAG DOLL"   What a legendary voice , that Frankie Valli !!!

My pawpaw was a fan of Mitch Miller & his Orchestra.   This is a song that has been covered by many, including Elvis.  Mitch Miller's version became the #1 song on the pop charts the week that Dames Dean died in 1955.

More Patti Page.  Gorgeous lady and  velvet smooth voice.

The exquisitely beautiful Connie Francis singing "Everybody's Somebody's Fool."

Since my dad passed away five years ago this May, I have found myself through the years listening to artists that he listened to. When he was alive I never would have been caught dead listening to his music. His favorite artists were George Jones, Johnny Cash, Conway, Willie, and similar singers. I actually enjoy listening to them.
(03-05-2022, 03:21 PM)Jarons Wrote: [ -> ]Since my dad passed away five years ago this May, I have found myself through the years listening to artists that he listened to. When he was alive I never would have been caught dead listening to his music. His favorite artists were George Jones,  Johnny Cash,  Conway, Willie, and similar singers. I actually enjoy listening to them.

Thanks for posting that.  I bet there are a lot of people like you who, after losing a parent or grandparent, will listen to music the parent enjoyed. It's a way to stay connected to the loved one. Music does that for us.  My condolences on the loss of your dad, Jarons. My dad is having surgery for an aneurysm next week. I have found myself listening to "his kind' of music lately. I actually enjoy a lot of it.
(03-05-2022, 03:54 PM)Old School Hound Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-05-2022, 03:21 PM)Jarons Wrote: [ -> ]Since my dad passed away five years ago this May, I have found myself through the years listening to artists that he listened to. When he was alive I never would have been caught dead listening to his music. His favorite artists were George Jones,  Johnny Cash,  Conway, Willie, and similar singers. I actually enjoy listening to them.

Thanks for posting that.  I bet there are a lot of people like you who, after losing a parent or grandparent, will listen to music the parent enjoyed. It's a way to stay connected to the loved one. Music does that for us.  My condolences on the loss of your dad, Jarons. My dad is having surgery for an aneurysm next week. I have found myself listening to "his kind' of music lately. I actually enjoy a lot of it.

Thank you.  Hope all goes well with your father and he has full recovery.
I've always loved aha take on me and the power of love by Huey Lewis, it's one of those songs that I listen to whenever I want to travel or even commute, but whenever I am playing Valorant and other esports games, I tune in to kickstart my heart, it gets me hyped lol. Even for an old songs. References:
https://gamdom.ca/crash

I’m so with you on Kickstart My Heart as my go to song if I really want to get the juices flowing. Not a huge Crue fan, but this to me is their absolute best.