Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Heisman Watch (ESPN-October 2nd)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Andre Woodson is in 2nd right behind Darren McFadden on ESPN's Heisman Watch now. He is one point behind.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/heisman07/index
His talent is really showing. I sure hope he shows the whole nation how good he is against South Carolina.
The SC/UK game will be a season breaker for the Cats. How they play will be watched closely by the national media more than if they win/lose. With that said, if Woodson soars and UK wins, he'll be the favorite without a doubt.

I think for the first time all season, the Cats are finally being "pressured" to win more than ever. Expectations are growing and national media credibility is on the line - not to mention a "real" shot at the SEC Championship and BCS Championship (did I type that?)
jammin' jamey Wrote:The SC/UK game will be a season breaker for the Cats. How they play will be watched closely by the national media more than if they win/lose. With that said, if Woodson soars and UK wins, he'll be the favorite without a doubt.

I think for the first time all season, the Cats are finally being "pressured" to win more than ever. Expectations are growing and national media credibility is on the line - not to mention a "real" shot at the SEC Championship and BCS Championship (did I type that?)

I bet with how biased the media is towards the powers in college football, if UK loses, Woodson is out of the top 5 for Hesiman and UK drops from the top 25. Though, UK is going to win, and Woodson will be in New York in January!
ComeFlyWithMe Wrote:I bet with how biased the media is towards the powers in college football, if UK loses, Woodson is out of the top 5 for Hesiman and UK drops from the top 25. Though, UK is going to win, and Woodson will be in New York in January!

it's sad but true...but i know we can beat usc....i think we can sneak one past florida...but the only true team that stands in the way is lsu....And Woodson is the best QB in college football and should be the heisman but since no one thinks much about kentucky i don't see it happening, but he will be going to new york i guarantee that.
That's awesome! I would love to see him win!
The last player from UK to be considered for the Heisman Trophy was Tim Couch back in 1998. That year, the Cats went 7-5, with an appearance in the Outback Bowl, which they lost 14-26 to Penn State. That season, Couch threw for 4,611 yards, 38 touchdowns, 17 interceptions, and completed nearly 72% of his passes. That is an UNBELIEVABLE season, and he finished 4th!!!!! ESPN.com has Woodson's projected stats looking like this: 3,142 yards, 38 touchdowns, 2 interceptions, and completing 67% of his passes. Based on those numbers, Couch will have thrown 1,500 yards more than Woodson, but 15 fewer picks. In my opinion, this UK team is more balanced, which means they don't have to rely as much on the passing game, much like the 1998 team did. I strongly feel that Woodson is the best quarterback in the country, and that's not because I am a die hard UK fan. I'm saying that as a football fan. Troy Smith's numbers weren't great last year, but he was the leader of the best team in the country. Woodson's numbers are obviously better than Smith's but in order for Woodson to be a strong candidate, I think UK as a team will have to have a very strong showing the rest of the season. I don't think team success should play a factor, but then again, I'm not a voter.
StrikeoutKing Wrote:The last player from UK to be considered for the Heisman Trophy was Tim Couch back in 1998. That year, the Cats went 7-5, with an appearance in the Outback Bowl, which they lost 14-26 to Penn State. That season, Couch threw for 4,611 yards, 38 touchdowns, 17 interceptions, and completed nearly 72% of his passes. That is an UNBELIEVABLE season, and he finished 4th!!!!! ESPN.com has Woodson's projected stats looking like this: 3,142 yards, 38 touchdowns, 2 interceptions, and completing 67% of his passes. Based on those numbers, Couch will have thrown 1,500 yards more than Woodson, but 15 fewer picks. In my opinion, this UK team is more balanced, which means they don't have to rely as much on the passing game, much like the 1998 team did. I strongly feel that Woodson is the best quarterback in the country, and that's not because I am a die hard UK fan. I'm saying that as a football fan. Troy Smith's numbers weren't great last year, but he was the leader of the best team in the country. Woodson's numbers are obviously better than Smith's but in order for Woodson to be a strong candidate, I think UK as a team will have to have a very strong showing the rest of the season. I don't think team success should play a factor, but then again, I'm not a voter.

Good post! You are completely correct about the performance of the team. If UK slips, Woodson slips. If UK continues to shock the nation, Woodson will be a frontrunner. The Heismen selection process is based too much on the team performance because of the player not on the player's overall performance.
Herbstreit just went against the national vote of 52% "No", that Woodson was the best QB. He left no doubt that Woodson was his man in that little segment. Kinda what StrikeoutKing was saying, Herbstreit was pointing to the LSU game, as to how Woodson will fare against the best in the country.
I dont see how he is still under mcfadden i though the heisman was player and team success. Woodson should be by far on top
Ring'Em Up Wrote:Herbstreit just went against the national vote of 52% "No", that Woodson was the best QB. He left no doubt that Woodson was his man in that little segment. Kinda what StrikeoutKing was saying, Herbstreit was pointing to the LSU game, as to how Woodson will fare against the best in the country.

Beat me to itSmile I think that means a lot coming from Herbstreit. He was the former starting QB at Ohio State and he has a deal with ABC/ESPN where he goes to the most high profiled game of the week to announce it. He has seen a lot of great teams and for him to say our QB is probably the best in the nation means a lot.
GRIZZ Wrote:Beat me to itSmile I think that means a lot coming from Herbstreit. He was the former starting QB at Ohio State and he has a deal with ABC/ESPN where he goes to the most high profiled game of the week to announce it. He has seen a lot of great teams and for him to say our QB is probably the best in the nation means a lot.

:thumpsup:
All this speculation will be meaningless if UK goes out and pulls an 0-fer in this next 3 game stretch. I think the Cats have got to win at least one of them in order for Woodson to stay on the Heisman radar.
Woodson might get the choking award.Man a senior picking tonight to look like a rookie.The freshman from SC looked like he had more poise.