Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Coal Mining Stickers
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Have any of you in the past or do any of you currently collect coal mining stickers.  When I was a kid in the early 80's it was a big hobby around eastern Kentucky.  I kept my old collection and have recently started buying a few here and there.  i don't have a lot.  I guess i have 200-300 in my collection.  It's relatively cheap hobby, and I guess it has a bit of nostalgia to it.
(08-26-2021, 03:10 PM)Westside Wrote: [ -> ]Have any of you in the past or do any of you currently collect coal mining stickers.  When I was a kid in the early 80's it was a big hobby around eastern Kentucky.  I kept my old collection and have recently started buying a few here and there.  i don't have a lot.  I guess i have 200-300 in my collection.  It's relatively cheap hobby, and I guess it has a bit of nostalgia to it.
I was on a mine rescue team for a couple of years and built a small collection but I have lost track of it over the years. One of my roommates' father had a huge collection. He was a longtime Safety Director for a large coal company with operations in WV, VA, and KY and began collecting them when he was a young man. Mine rescue and first aid competitions were great places to trade stickers with miners from other companies around the country.
(08-26-2021, 05:20 PM)Hoot Gibson Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-26-2021, 03:10 PM)Westside Wrote: [ -> ]Have any of you in the past or do any of you currently collect coal mining stickers.  When I was a kid in the early 80's it was a big hobby around eastern Kentucky.  I kept my old collection and have recently started buying a few here and there.  i don't have a lot.  I guess i have 200-300 in my collection.  It's relatively cheap hobby, and I guess it has a bit of nostalgia to it.
I was on a mine rescue team for a couple of years and built a small collection but I have lost track of it over the years. One of my roommates' father had a huge collection. He was a longtime Safety Director for a large coal company with operations in WV, VA, and KY and began collecting them when he was a young man. Mine rescue and first aid competitions were great places to trade stickers with miners from other companies around the country.

I still have my original collection.  It isn't substantial by any means, but I'm glad I still have it.  I drove a rock truck for a surface mine in Jackson County back in the late 90's.  Collecting stickers didn't even cross my mind at that point.  Besides, when I think of coal mining stickers, I think of deep mines, not strip mines.