Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Hazard names Larry Robinson head coach
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hazard has named Larry Robinson head coach.
Big Al will be the coach.
Long time assistant under Al, had numerous stints with him.
(08-13-2021, 05:49 PM)BlackAndYellow Wrote: [ -> ]Big Al will be the coach.

Nope. Not according to Hazard Athletics. Larry Robinson is the coach. Al may be an assistant but why go from being a head coach to assistant?
(08-13-2021, 06:01 PM)Strikeout King Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-13-2021, 05:49 PM)BlackAndYellow Wrote: [ -> ]Big Al will be the coach.

Nope. Not according to Hazard Athletics. Larry Robinson is the coach. Al may be an assistant but why go from being a head coach to assistant?
He won’t be an assistant.
Great hire for the bulldogs has some big shoes to fill. He has his work cut out for him with the bulldogs lost some big players last year due to graduation.
If Holland was planning on coming back since day one, why go through all the motions of having a retirement ceremony and have it covered on WYMT? I know WYMT also covers a lot of college signings but when those season rolls around often times those kids either arent playing for that school, or they've went to another school. Minds can change, I get that.  It just seems like from the moment Holland made the announcement people were saying he was still going to be the head coach at Hazard.

As far as as going from a head coach to an assistant, it has happened before. I think Junior Newsome has done it with 2 of the three coaches who have been at Betsy Layne since he gave up the head coaches job.
(08-13-2021, 07:45 PM)clipperw Wrote: [ -> ]If Holland was planning on coming back since day one, why go through all the motions of having a retirement ceremony and have it covered on WYMT? I know WYMT also covers a lot of college signings but when those season rolls around often times those kids either arent playing for that school, or they've went to another school. Minds can change, I get that.  It just seems like from the moment Holland made the announcement people were saying he was still going to be the head coach at Hazard.

As far as as going from a head coach to an assistant, it has happened before. I think Junior Newsome has done it with 2 of the three coaches who have been at Betsy Layne since he gave up the head coaches job.

It's protocol that has to be followed.
Holland can retire, draw his pension, be rehired by the school on a limited contract and actually take home more pay that way.

But for it to work, you have to legitimately retire and you cannot work for the school system in any capacity for either 90 or 100 days (not for sure).
That means you retire on July 1 and you can't do ANYTHING. Wanna just "volunteer" to do preseason conditioning? Nope. Won't get your retirement that way.

All that said, maybe big Al decides he wants to stay retired and doesn't come back? Maybe here in September/October Rob steps down and Al is hired as the head coach? I'm not gonna go out on a limb here and guarantee it one way or another, but I can tell you the only he can come back to coaching at Hazard is to go through the protocol of retiring and sitting out for 3 months.
This is all a big joke Al will be coaching in December.
(08-13-2021, 09:27 PM)Reds#1Fan Wrote: [ -> ]This is all a big joke Al will be coaching in December.

Unless he goes the route Zaga pointed out he won't be. 

Hazard Athletics posted that Larry Robinson was named head coach.
Be interesting to see.
The fans of all the other teams can get your hopes up if you want to, but I’m telling you, Big Al Holland will be roaming the sidelines for Hazard as head coach during basketball season.
90 days for retirees. July 1 to Oct 1. Al will be back.
(08-14-2021, 07:57 PM)UKisN1 Wrote: [ -> ]90 days for retirees.  July 1 to Oct 1. Al will be back.
Why not do it earlier ?
(08-14-2021, 09:06 PM)BelieveInTheHorn Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-14-2021, 07:57 PM)UKisN1 Wrote: [ -> ]90 days for retirees.  July 1 to Oct 1. Al will be back.
Why not do it earlier ?

Contracts run through June.
LOL
(08-13-2021, 09:33 PM)Strikeout King Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-13-2021, 09:27 PM)Reds#1Fan Wrote: [ -> ]This is all a big joke Al will be coaching in December.

Unless he goes the route Zaga pointed out he won't be. 

Hazard Athletics posted that Larry Robinson was named head coach.

Zaga knows he’s going this route. Unless, like he said, Al decides he likes retired life. But it is no secret around Hazard or Perry County that this has been the plan for a while. Doesn’t matter what they post. Who will be Hazards head coach next year falls on one mans decision. And that’s Al. Loves the game and will be making more money this way. Wait and see.
(08-14-2021, 09:16 PM)zaga_fan Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-14-2021, 09:06 PM)BelieveInTheHorn Wrote: [ -> ]
Why not do it earlier ?

Contracts run through June.

Chances are if he had been hired earlier years ago, he could have retired earlier in the school year, but chances are he started in the fall teaching and coaching. All about years of service credits.