Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Johnson Central 8 Lawrence County 3 (15th Region Championship)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
After a lengthy rain delay & having to play through fog thicker than you'll see in the San Francisco bay, JC & Lawrence played a great 15th region championship game.  JC was down but battled back & won their sixth regional championship.

JC will play either Estill County or Hazard on 6/12 @ Morehead St. in the semi-state round.
(06-08-2021, 07:41 AM)Pulp Fiction Wrote: [ -> ]After a lengthy rain delay & having to play through fog thicker than you'll see in the San Francisco bay, JC & Lawrence played a great 15th region championship game.  JC was down but battled back & won their sixth regional championship.

JC will play either Estill County or Hazard on 6/12 @ Morehead St. in the semi-state round.

** 6th under Coach Hall.  Had a few before his term started as well.  Congrats to the Golden Eagles!  Believe the winner of Hazard vs. Estill County awaits at Morehead.
(06-08-2021, 07:41 AM)Pulp Fiction Wrote: [ -> ]After a lengthy rain delay & having to play through fog thicker than you'll see in the San Francisco bay, JC & Lawrence played a great 15th region championship game.  JC was down but battled back & won their sixth regional championship.

(06-08-2021, 09:44 AM)Diogenes Wrote: [ -> ]** 6th under Coach Hall.  Had a few before his term started as well.  Congrats to the Golden Eagles!  Believe the winner of Hazard vs. Estill County awaits at Morehead.
Regional championships weren't always an automatic trip to the state tournament format as we know it now.  The semi-state/sectional rounds weren't considered "the state tournament" according to their record books.  2003 through 2009 was the years there were eight teams in state tournament. 2010 to 2018 had all sixteen regions in represented in the state tournament. The KHSAA lists the semi-state rounds in the 2019 season as being part of the state tournament.

According to the KHSAA website, JC's first appearance in the state baseball tournament was 2004.  The KHSAA website doesn't list regional championships or if they do, I can't find it.

Anyways, congrats to JC.
The ruling on the foul ball off of Collinsworth was huge. When you play a game like that in those conditions, umpires and coaches should know and have a call beforehand as to what will be called. No one in the entire stadium knew if the ball was fair or foul yet after a discussion it was called foul which took 3 runs off the board for LC.
(06-08-2021, 11:13 AM)Pulp Fiction Wrote: [ -> ]

(06-08-2021, 09:44 AM)Diogenes Wrote: [ -> ]** 6th under Coach Hall.  Had a few before his term started as well.  Congrats to the Golden Eagles!  Believe the winner of Hazard vs. Estill County awaits at Morehead.
Regional championships weren't always an automatic trip to the state tournament format as we know it now.  The semi-state/sectional rounds weren't considered "the state tournament" according to their record books.  2003 through 2009 was the years there were eight teams in state tournament.  2010 to 2018 had all sixteen regions in represented in the state tournament.  The KHSAA lists the semi-state rounds in the 2019 season as being part of the state tournament.

According to the KHSAA website, JC's first appearance in the state baseball tournament was 2004.  The KHSAA website doesn't list regional championships or if they do, I can't find it.

Anyways, congrats to JC.
Before the 2004 season, there was only a Final 4 State Tournament for baseball.  Each of the four teams competed in a single elimination Sectional Tournament (R1-R4, R5-R8, R9-R12, R13-R16) and only those winners went to “state.”  

Last night made Coach Hall’s sixth region championship, but I do believe it was their 10th overall region championship for baseball.
I know Central definitely won the region in 1995 and 1996, lost to region 16 Lawrence County and Curnutte pitching in 95 and R14 Perry Central with the Little twins in 96 in sectionals those years.
Done some research.... I think our first regional championship was in 1984.

JC had former MLB pitcher Willie Blair, the Hall twins, Les Trimble, Eddie Blair, Harry Meek & others on the roster. JC hosted the state tournament in 1984 and beat future state champion, East Carter, earlier in the season.
(06-08-2021, 01:41 PM)Dawg_fan1983 Wrote: [ -> ]The ruling on the foul ball off of Collinsworth was huge. When you play a game like that in those conditions, umpires and coaches should know and have a call beforehand as to what will be called. No one in the entire stadium knew if the ball was fair or foul yet after a discussion it was called foul which took 3 runs off the board for LC.

This was a huge call in the game but the umpires ultimately got it right in the end.  I was watching from down the left field line and it landed in a spectators chair that was clearly to the left of the foul pole.  By the end the fog was probably too thick and maybe should have been delayed but it was a tough situation all the way around.
I agree. Both teams had to play in the same environment. I hate that they had to play in such horrible conditions. Congrats to JC, they deserve it! They played better!
Great win for JC! This was one of Shawn Hall’s best coaching jobs. JC really struggled to start the season and to finish with a regional championship is a fantastic turnaround.
Johnson central are suppose to win everything in the 15TH region. Biggest school in the region and they still have to recruit. So quit celebrating like you all have done something. I respect thier football program. Coach matney does it the right way with great kids.
Hazard beat Estill County for the 14th region championship, so the semi-state match is set.

Johnson Central vs. Hazard @ 1pm from Morehead St. on 6/12.

The KHSAA twitter has posted that all tickets will be electronic & no cash/credit card ticket sales will happen at the stadium.
(06-09-2021, 12:55 AM)Warriorhawk17 Wrote: [ -> ]Johnson central are suppose to win everything in the 15TH region. Biggest school in the region and they still have to recruit. So quit celebrating like you all have done something. I respect thier football program. Coach matney does it the right way with great kids.
Johnson Central is supposed to win.....

I respect their football program.

Coach Matney does it the right way with great kids.
(06-08-2021, 02:59 PM)Pulp Fiction Wrote: [ -> ]Done some research.... I think our first regional championship was in 1984.

JC had former MLB pitcher Willie Blair, the Hall twins, Les Trimble, Eddie Blair, Harry Meek & others on the roster.  JC hosted the state tournament in 1984 and beat future state champion, East Carter, earlier in the season.
I am pretty sure that Johnson Central under Coach Mike Collins won regional tournaments in 1983, 1984, 1995 and 1996. 
Coach Hall played on the 1995 and 1996 teams.
(06-09-2021, 12:55 AM)Warriorhawk17 Wrote: [ -> ]Johnson central are suppose to win everything in the 15TH region. Biggest school in the region and they still have to recruit. So quit celebrating like you all have done something. I respect thier football program. Coach matney does it the right way with great kids.
Yeah yeah yeah..

Says the eternal moron.
(06-09-2021, 10:14 PM)Bob Seger Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-08-2021, 02:59 PM)Pulp Fiction Wrote: [ -> ]Done some research.... I think our first regional championship was in 1984.

JC had former MLB pitcher Willie Blair, the Hall twins, Les Trimble, Eddie Blair, Harry Meek & others on the roster.  JC hosted the state tournament in 1984 and beat future state champion, East Carter, earlier in the season.
I know he won 4 regional championships, and I am pretty sure that Johnson Central under Coach Mike Collins won regional championships  in 1983, 1984, 1995 and 1996. 
Coach Hall played on the 1995 and 1996 teams. This was Johnson Central's 10th regional championship.
(06-09-2021, 10:16 PM)Bob Seger Wrote: [ -> ]
Yeah yeah yeah..

Says the eternal moron.
Nobody and I mean nobody can say it like Bob Seeger

Pretty sure Prestonsburg won the region in 1984.  I played for the 1984 East Carter team and we beat them in the sectional at Somerset in the first round and then Middlesboro in the finals to go to state.

Johnson Central did beat us in 1984 though.  First game of a doubleheader and I believe it was a walk off hit in the bottom of 7th if my memory serves me right.  Been a while though.lol  They had a good team, but I thought Willie Blair graduated in 1983.  Harry Meek was as fine a ball player as I ever saw while in high school.  Played basketball against him as well.  Great player.
(06-11-2021, 02:23 PM)old raider Wrote: [ -> ]

Pretty sure Prestonsburg won the region in 1984.  I played for the 1984 East Carter team and we beat them in the sectional at Somerset in the first round and then Middlesboro in the finals to go to state.

Johnson Central did beat us in 1984 though.  First game of a doubleheader and I believe it was a walk off hit in the bottom of 7th if my memory serves me right.  Been a while though.lol  They had a good team, but I thought Willie Blair graduated in 1983.  Harry Meek was as fine a ball player as I ever saw while in high school.  Played basketball against him as well.  Great player.
JC won the region in '84.

But Willie did indeed graduate in '83....Another pitcher that has not even been mentioned on this team was Mike LeMaster. A very very good pitcher.

I need to make a correction, JC won the region in '82 and '83 in baseball.. They won the basketball regional tornament in '84.
(06-13-2021, 09:49 AM)Bob Seger Wrote: [ -> ]

I need to make a correction, JC won the region in '82 and '83 in baseball.. They won the basketball regional tornament in '84.
Yeah, Thanks for making the correction.  Knew I was right since I happened to be there, but it was not worth arguing about.