Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Wolfe County 12 Estill County 8
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Final from Powell County. Wolfe upsets Estill and advances to the 14th region championship game on Wednesday.
lol pathetic you lose to a team you crush twice earlier in season only thing good estill is none seniors on this team but then prolly have first round exit next season
(06-07-2021, 09:32 PM)Hammerin' Hank Wrote: [ -> ]lol pathetic you lose to a team you crush twice earlier in season only thing good estill is none seniors on this team but then prolly have first round exit next season

Your funny. Estill has a lot to be proud of this season. 30+ wins, 5 losses. They won the district title again. They have been ranked in the top 25 most of the season and yeah your right they don't have any seniors on this years team and will be tremendous again next season. 

Oh btw, your grammar and spelling needs help...
No shame in losing to Wolfe. They have been trying to find their groove all season long. Regular seasons games mean nothing when it comes to postseason.
Last time I I checked
Wolfe won the region last time it was played in 2019.
Would have won it last year in 2020.
And are knocking on the door again to win it in 20201.
Only thing gonna hurt wolfe is according to KHSAA is they lose all 3 pitchers.
wow. gotta admit, i’m shocked.
Wolfe had a great gameplan coming in. They attacked Winkle early in the count and tried to not let her get ahead. I’m shocked West didn’t make a change. Winkle is a great pitcher but sometimes it’s not your night. Farmer might have had better luck but Wolfe was hot.

Also Wolfe will return their #2 and #3 pitchers next year.
(06-08-2021, 12:31 AM)Reds#1Fan Wrote: [ -> ]Wolfe had a great gameplan coming in. They attacked Winkle early in the count and tried to not let her get ahead. I’m shocked West didn’t make a change. Winkle is a great pitcher but sometimes it’s not your night. Farmer might have had better luck but Wolfe was hot.

Also Wolfe will return their #2 and #3 pitchers next year.

KHSAA has Carly Creech and Terrill listed as seniors. Carly being Wolfes best pitcher according to state. Chloy Creech returns however.
Surprised by this one. Maybe Estill took Wolfe too lightly, looking ahead to the game with Perry. That would be easy to do when you have won the two season matchups by a total score of 23-0.
And down goes the Champ. Looks like Buster Douglas showed up tonight in Stanton. Just goes to show you that anyone can be beat. Congratulations to the Lady Wolves. Them and Perry will be a battle. Cant wait to see it.
Lol Last time I looked The Champ didn’t go down, Wolfe is the defending champion from 2019 and would have had everyone back last season from that 2019 championship team if the season wasn’t canceled. Wolfe had to replace 2 great program players this season in Kallie Brown and Hailey Smith. Coach Campbell has done a great job bringing his team together and has them playing great ball at the right time. Perry and Wolfe will be a battle but I think Wolfe finds a way to pull it out in the end.
I think you know where I was coming from Reds Fan. Not going by who won the region last. Estill had beaten the breaks off everyone in the region this year. Very shocking to say the least. Wolfe hit Estill like they were throwing BP.
Estill’s pitcher has mowed down the opposition all year with ease, including Wolfe twice, losing only 4 games to very good Bluegrass area teams. She evidently didn’t have her good stuff in this game that had carried her all year long. She had shut out the Lady Wolves in both their regular season games but in this game they hit her pitches often and hard. It leads me to wonder was she feeling okay or maybe have an injury. I mean, you go through the season with a 31-4 record and don’t give up more than 7 runs in any game and suddenly in the most important game of the season give up 12 runs. Just makes me think maybe she didn’t feel well during this game.
Winkle has had one of the most impressive seasons in KY Softball history. When a team hits you sometimes you can get in a funk when what has always worked isn’t working. Last night doesn’t change a thing though she’s still a great pitcher and seems to be an even better young lady.
This is why the games are played folks. Im not real shocked by this. Benny is the best coach in the region.
Winkle likes to work fast. Wolfe batters took their time getting in the batters box then tell umpire to hold up until ready. I think that kept her out of rhythm all night. If this was the case then that was a great game plan. Tougher against Perry as I seen no weaknesses in their game. They have speed, can hit a ton and best defense in region. Good luck to both teams.
That’s a great point about Benny. People don’t remember where Wolfe’s program was when he took over and where he has put them. Covid robbed him of a extremely good chance at a 3 peat. That’s coaching a team that year in year out has less than 13 players this years team has as many middle school kids as high school kids. When he lost Hailey Smith and Kallie Brown he lost 2 top players in the region on both sides of the ball. Benny had to completely rearrange his defense. He gets more out of his kids than any coach in the region.

I remember 2 years ago all the Estill fans talking about how Lynn West wouldn’t only win the region but would win games at the state tournament unlike previous coaches and as recently as Saturday Coach West was quoted as saying he couldn’t wait to get the regional tournament over so they could go play the state tournament. His goal in the regional tournament was to beat every team by 15 runs. Well sometimes you’re the hammer and sometimes you’re the nail. It’s smart to play it 1 game at a time during tournament time. He didn’t look like he was coaching for half the game last night I honestly think he just thought they could flip the switch on and win.
Had this discussion on here a few years back.
How much better estill was gonna be once they got rid of Shirley.
How many regional titles has estill won since Shirley left? 0
14th regional tourney isn’t travel ball. Can’t have your team not ready to play at 6:00 then have a do over on Sunday morning at 10:00 am.
More than anything else Benny is a class act. He doesn’t talk his team up or talk his self up.
He teaches the game the way it should be taught. And that includes not stealing home when your up 20 runs on team. Softball gods are always watching lol

Long story short. Estill is not better off without Shirley coaching.
You will never hear anyone in Wolfe County saying. Wolfe County will be better without Benny Campbell.
Estill choked. Wasnt Wests fault they didnt hit and the Winkle girl wasnt throwing like she normally does. Its up to the kids to get the job done. Coaches cant do everything. West, Campbell, Ratliff, Taulbee, and Turner all are very high quality coaches for this region.
The way I see it, It was west fault for not making a pitching change. Best player or not, if the other team is hitting, gotta make a change. As far as the softball gods are concerned, they are always watching. When you run rule a team 22-0 in the region tourney that you had previously run ruled in the season, karma comes back with a heavy punch. Coach West saying he would’ve won if he was coach in 2019 when Amy Kaylor was coaching and lost to Perry in the region tourney, karma strikes again. Benny getting out the ole pitching machine and cranking it up to 60 at 35 ft didn’t hurt their hitting. They were ready and on time, and hitting base hits. Maybe the Engineers were looking ahead to state a little as well. They knew who they were playing against and spoke about it several times to people close to the program.
Very easy to arm chair quarterback, and after the game we are all experts, but slowing the speed would’ve possibly had a different outcome. Maybe Coach West gets both his pitchers ready for region play next year. The Engineers will return all starters. We shall see what 2022 brings. Good luck to Wolfe at state. Could be the year the 14th makes some noise.
14th Region isnt making any noise at state.
They may get by Lewis County but then they run into Johnson Central/Boyle County
(06-09-2021, 11:33 PM)See Lowdown Wrote: [ -> ]The way I see it, It was west fault for not making a pitching change. Best player or not, if the other team is hitting, gotta make a change. As far as the softball gods are concerned, they are always watching. When you run rule a team 22-0 in the region tourney that you had previously run ruled in the season, karma comes back with a heavy punch. Coach West saying he would’ve won if he was coach in 2019 when Amy Kaylor was coaching and lost to Perry in the region tourney, karma strikes again. Benny getting out the ole pitching machine and cranking it up to 60 at 35 ft didn’t hurt their hitting. They were ready and on time, and hitting base hits. Maybe the Engineers were looking ahead to state a little as well. They knew who they were playing against and spoke about it several times to people close to the program.
Very easy to arm chair quarterback, and after the game we are all experts, but slowing the speed would’ve possibly had a different outcome. Maybe Coach West gets both his pitchers ready for region play next year. The Engineers will return all starters. We shall see what 2022 brings. Good luck to Wolfe at state. Could be the year the 14th makes some noise.
You are right maybe he should have changed pitchers. I wasn’t there and watched parts of it on Facebook. Nobody knows why they didn’t change pitchers. Maybe he had a reason. Hopefully he can get the team moving back in the right direction. Get both pitchers in tune. I think they have a couple younger pitchers also that will help some. Yes you are right everyone is an expert after the game. Neither the less still an impressive first season head coach going 32-5 with the caliber of schedule.
Yes, impressive to have the season they did no doubt. Played against top competition in other regions and did very well. Just shows that anyone can be beaten on any given day. They’ll rebound nicely I’m sure.