Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Long Distance Dedication for Jetpilot : Favorite Politically Themed Songs???
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
What are some of the songs that you have liked that had a political theme ?  Maybe you liked song because of the message or maybe you just liked the music in the song.  Even if your song is just loosely political , free to  include it.  Social justice,  world peace, climate, voting, war, taxes, patriotism,  anything with a political theme .   What is political?   You decide. It's your world . 

I look forward to hearing our BGR music fans' picks .    I'll start with one that I have loved since I was a  8-year old boy.  It is an appeal for peace and brotherhood, presenting the polarity of love versus fear, and the choice to be made between them.  To me, it is loosely political in that it appeals to humanity and nations of the world to put their differences aside and choose love and peace over fear and hate.   I'll send this one out to my buddy, Jetpilot.

^^^Great one OSH.

(05-20-2021, 11:27 AM)jetpilot Wrote: [ -> ]^^^Great one OSH.

^^^^

I  used to sing that one all the time as a kid.

Here's possibly my favorite from the the '80's :        "Mr. Gorbechav, tear down this wall."  ---RWR

"Wind of Change"  was actually released in '90 just after the fall of the Berlin Wall but I still associate it with the eighties and Reagan and Gorbachev and all that led up to the bringing down of the wall.  

Speaking of songs and walls & politics  ,  are we all just bricks in the  wall?

One of the best songs a lot of people have never heard. The song is about the killing of Matthew Shephard, a 21 y.o. gay student, who was beaten and tied to a fence post  and left to die near Laramie, WY in 1998.  Currently,  47 states and the District of Columbia have statutes criminalizing various types of bias-motivated violence or intimidation . Unfortunately, Wyoming is not one of them.

Seen him playing in his backyard
Young boy just starting out
So much history in this landscape
So much confusion, so much doubt

Been there drinking on that front porch
Angry kids, mean and dumb
Looks like a painting, that blue skyline
God hates fags where we come from

'Western skies' don't make it right
'Home of the brave' don't make no sense
I've seen a scarecrow wrapped in wire
Left to die on a high ridge fence