Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: November 28, 1987 Panorama at Mount Sterling remembered & history played in the Barn
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hazard vs. East Carter
Harrison County vs. Bath County 
Clay County vs. Larue County
Montgomery vs. Bell County
Starting with the East Carter boys who were led by Brandon Baker a senior. Coached by Charles Baker his father. One week later Brandon scored 37 in a regular season game. He scored 23 points against Fairdale in December in the PRP Classic. Fairdale in the next two seasons would win back to back state finals. Hazard was led by Greg Napier, David Alexander and Keith Deaton. These 3 players were part of the Hazard team that played against PRP just 7 months earlier with the wild finish. History shows that Woody Crum was in his last season as a coach. In the 67-70 seasons he coached in Indianapolis. He played against the the Indianapolis Washington team in the 69 season which is considered the top 1-3 in history for the state of Indiana high school basketball. Lee Kendall from the Cynthiana Democrat wrote a writeup on the man & coach. David Fryman scored 27 points for Harrison County and Chris Snopek scored 18 points in a regular season game. Bath County was coached by Roy Wright who is now a veteran official for many seasons. This small school in Owingsville played and won two out of three region finals in 75-77 seasons. Danny Fraley was listed as honorable mention for Bath County and scored in double figures.  Now to watch the main game with Clay vs. Larue County. With this game i moved down to the center of the bleachers across from the benches three rows from the floor. Richie Farmer is truly one of the best high school players ever. Also Scott Boley the talented senior from the farming community in Hodgenville. Scott guarded Richie as he back him down with his patented shot. Because on March 18, 1988 these same two teams played in the quarterfinals at Freedom Hall. Montgomery County was led by 3rd team all state in senior Ken Lee. Keith Piersawl, Jeff Taylor and Steve Tuttle who made it to the region finals and had a 27-5 record. Bell County was coached by J.D. Strange who was at Log Mountain for 8 seasons and then worked wonders at a small school Pineville for over 15 seasons. Bell County was led by Anthony Petrey and Joe McGeorge. Donald Elliott a senior in December of 1990 scored 52 points in a game. Coach Bart Rison was one of the first to start scrimmages or panoramas. The Barn will always be a special gym for me.
You’re displaying some pretty good memory skills wheeler. You’re also displaying your age..lol
I am with you, the barn was a unique and special venue for high school basketball. I loved those wooden bleachers and the heat. I’m guessing Coach Bart Rison had the thermostat control. I’m guessing those folks in Montgomery County wish they had the old basketball coach back given the carousel of coaches since his retirement ..
Great post