Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Move the 15th
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Let’s start a petition started to get the 15th region tournament moved to a high school gymnasium or anywhere but the expo, there security is terrible and treat the children from all schools awful!!
What happened?
If you’re talking about the student section security guards I’m with you.

My wife and I where watching Betsy Layne and Johnson Central Friday and we kept noticing the security guard telling kids to move and keep space for Covid reasons. But me and here were laughing because it was ironic the security guard that was barking out the commands in the kids face to spread out never once had his mask on the entire game. It was wrapped around his chin the entire time.

I even made the comment to my wife about how is he going to be taken seriously by these student section kids when he’s not even following protocol that the Expo is trying so hard to follow.
And also my wife wasn’t allowed to bring her purse into the game Friday. And it was a small purse. And then they said no pocket knifes.

We live in Eastern Kentucky. There’s isn’t a man who doesn’t carry a pocket knife.

They acting like they’re Rupp Arena.
The security were doing just what they were told by AWA staff. Now the tone or manner they may have told the kids may have been wrong but I wasn't there. Also, the AWA staff did make a video and was supoosed to notify all schools that only clear bags and purses were allowed and no pocket knives. It's just a safety protocol that most arenas like that follow.
The Expo would close for good without the regional tournament.
(03-27-2021, 11:14 PM)pirateforlife Wrote: [ -> ]The security were doing just what they were told by AWA staff. Now the tone or manner they may have told the kids may have been wrong but I wasn't there. Also, the AWA staff did make a video and was supoosed to notify all schools that only clear bags and purses were allowed and no pocket knives. It's just a safety protocol that most arenas like that follow.

Oh 100% agree. Just thought it was funny that the guy barking the orders to the kids never wore his mask the entire time we were watching the game.
Heard the security threw out a Paintsville student. Not sure why. Maybe it was warranted maybe it wasn't but this was an intense game between 2 rivals for a trip to Rupp. Big time emotions on both sides. Can't expect the kids to act like they are sitting in a church service.

I know the arena probably has Covid rules they have to follow but I hated having to leave the arena in between games and forced to buy another ticket if you wanted to watch the next game. Some games were less than 2 minutes to tip before they let people back in for the 2nd game.
I like it at the arena, BUT I would have LOVED to have been able to listen in to the brilliant dialogue that lead to putting the student sections side by side. You’re just asking for trouble.
(03-29-2021, 12:17 AM)Panther Thunder Wrote: [ -> ]I like it at the arena, BUT I would have LOVED to have been able to listen in to the brilliant dialogue that lead to putting the student sections side by side. You’re just asking for trouble.
Yes haha much more dangerous than Covid.
(03-29-2021, 12:17 AM)Panther Thunder Wrote: [ -> ]I like it at the arena, BUT I would have LOVED to have been able to listen in to the brilliant dialogue that lead to putting the student sections side by side. You’re just asking for trouble.
Heck, asking for trouble? You are basically demanding it if you put Paintsville and JC side by side!
I'll say this... 16th region was hosted at Morehead State. Assigned seating for all in attendance, repeated announcements of wearing masks and social distancing and keeping said mask over mouth and nose at all times. Yet, the student sections were in the lower arena, no masks to be seen and were shoulder to shoulder the duration of the game (in the games that I was there for, some may have been different). Come to the expo for the 15th... Students were harassed throughout the entire game if they failed to comply by the 8 students per roll and a roll in between each group of students. All the while, the upper arena could sit shoulder to shoulder and a mask was barely seen. At the end of the day, this is pretty well par for the course with all the covid regulations it seems. lol
I’m all for a neutral site but I’ve never understood why we continue to just give money to the Expo ever year. Allen Central Field house is a Neutral site that’s not being used and has more than enough room to host The Regional Tournament. Just split the profits between the schools! No matter how many attend the Expo it cannot match the Atmosphere that you get in a HS Gymnasium in Eastern KY during Tournament time!!
(03-29-2021, 04:17 PM)Blue_Bird96 Wrote: [ -> ]I’m all for a neutral site but  I’ve never understood why we continue to just give money to the Expo ever year. Allen Central Field house is a Neutral site that’s not being used and has more than enough room to host The Regional Tournament. Just split the profits between the schools! No matter how many attend the Expo it cannot match the Atmosphere that you get in a HS Gymnasium in Eastern KY during Tournament time!!

I’m Igor be wrong on this. But I think the doors and the concession stands were ran by parents or volunteers from particular schools. Idk how that works though.
I've always been in favor of Prestonsburg hosting the region tourney every year. Central location, next to highway, we have dining, parking, etc. The fieldhouse would be electric.

Has anyone ever asked what the kids want? They may enjoy playing at the Expo Center or looking forward to getting there.
(03-29-2021, 08:23 PM)BlackcatAlum Wrote: [ -> ]I've always been in favor of Prestonsburg hosting the region tourney every year. Central location, next to highway, we have dining, parking, etc. The fieldhouse would be electric.

Has anyone ever asked what the kids want? They may enjoy playing at the Expo Center or looking forward to getting there.

Great question. I graduated in 2014. And we loved playing in the Expo because it felt like the BIG stage I guess you could say. Whenever you played there you knew it was a big game. 

But now as a fan I don’t much like it because it doesn’t feel like a great atmosphere compared to a place like the Dome, Pburg or Allen Central’s gymnasium gives you.
(03-29-2021, 08:23 PM)BlackcatAlum Wrote: [ -> ]I've always been in favor of Prestonsburg hosting the region tourney every year. Central location, next to highway, we have dining, parking, etc. The fieldhouse would be electric.

Agreed one of the best gyms in the 15th. Also would be a neutral site most years giving the current state of their basketball program.
I would either be in favor of keeping it at the Expo or returning it to the school rotation.
I like the Expo Atmosphere!!   Leave it there lots of positives there!
(03-29-2021, 09:26 PM)Real Badman Wrote: [ -> ]I would either be in favor of keeping it at the Expo or returning it to the school rotation.
I like the idea of a return to schools on a rotation (in theory), but how would that work I wonder?  Some schools simply aren't equipped to host something as big as the regional tournament.  Take Paintsville, for example, no way you could host a regional tournament there.  Pburg has a nice gym, but parking seems to be an issue.  Phelps/East Ridge, sure they could host it, but then teams like Lawrence/Martin/Magoffin have an 1:20-1:45 minute drive on bad roads just to play a game.  Then, Lawrence County, they could easily host it, but ER/SV, etc would be driving an 1:25+ for a game.  There's no real good solution beyond keeping it at the EXPO.
I wished it would go back to the HS rotation
The expo is great for the fans but for the players you don't get that atmosphere like past games when the gym was packed. That's how it was for 50+ years until 2006 and it worked great. Go watch some of brian miliams YouTube videos of past regions or wprg or the paintsville YT channel and tell me the expo is better than the HS experience and atmosphere
I'm in the 13th but I want to see it back in the schools too instead of the Corbin Arena. The atmosphere is dead a team wins a region title to what feels like a sparse crowd.
No atmosphere at expo. the low rent rent a cop security at expo has always been bad. I don't see it ever moving, but with WPRG and others broadcasting the atmosphere will get worse not better as more people just stay home to watch.
It's a shame that the best place to play the 13th is about five minutes on the wrong side of the tunnel. Lincoln Memorial's Turner Arena would be incredible. 4,000 chair back seats, but a much smaller footprint than the Arena. Plenty of parking as well.
What schools could realistically hold the tournament? Back in the day it was:

Shelby Valley
Pikeville
Allen Central
Johnson Central
Elkhorn City?
Sheldon Clark
Pike Central

Am I correct about these? Leave any out?
(03-30-2021, 10:25 PM)2000PHS Wrote: [ -> ]What schools could realistically hold the tournament? Back in the day it was:

Shelby Valley
Pikeville
Allen Central
Johnson Central
Elkhorn City?
Sheldon Clark
Pike Central

Am I correct about these? Leave any out?
Pburg held it also

Now both floyd central and BL could hold is with the new gyms out of 58th. Belfry could possibly hold it. East ridge also  I haven't seen Lawrence at all or Martin co. And magoffins new gyms
Sounds like most schools could now host the tournament. Probably easier to list the schools that couldn’t.

What other schools other than Paintsville couldn’t/ shouldn’t?
(03-31-2021, 09:29 AM)2000PHS Wrote: [ -> ]Sounds like most schools could now host the tournament. Probably easier to list the schools that couldn’t.

With Betsy Layne’s new gym on the hill and how weird and dumb the seating is set up. I don’t think they could host the tourney going back to normal and everything is shoulder to shoulder no Covid. There just isn’t enough seating in that place. The dome would have worked better had we not had the new gym.
(03-31-2021, 09:22 PM)Spud6 Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-31-2021, 09:29 AM)2000PHS Wrote: [ -> ]Sounds like most schools could now host the tournament. Probably easier to list the schools that couldn’t.

With Betsy Layne’s new gym on the hill and how weird and dumb the seating is set up. I don’t think they could host the tourney going back to normal and everything is shoulder to shoulder no Covid. There just isn’t enough seating in that place. The dome would have worked better had we not had the new gym.

I agree with you. I'll say the same for Floyd Central because they and Betsy Layne have the same set up with the bleachers. I would guess they seat about the same number too, but I could be wrong. At the same time it looks like the bleachers and seats are the same, just different colors of course. 

I would have loved to have gotten to watch a 15th Region Tournament at the Dome. Of all the gyms I've gotten to watch a game in, The Dome will likely always be my favorite. Whenever I ride by Betsy Layne, I always make sure I take a look at it.
Of the 15 schools in the 15th region.... here is my opinion on possible hosting sites.
This list is based off a normal year, with no Covid-19 restrictions.

These are the definite NO's on hosting (3)
- Jenkins
- Paintsville
- Phelps

These are Possible hosts (5)
- Martin County (Can host, but has a smaller gym size)
- Magoffin County (Can host, but has a smaller gym size)
- East Ridge (Can host, but not in an easy accessible Location & parking situation)
- Floyd Central (Can host, but their Parking situation is rough)
- Betsy Layne (Can host, but their Parking situation is rough)

These are the definite hosts sites (7)
- Johnson Central
- Prestonsburg
- Pike Co. Central
- Shelby Valley
- Belfry
- Pikeville
- Lawrence County

So we have 12 schools that could host our regional tournament. It's time for the Expo to GO!!!!
Pages: 1 2