Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Biggest Upsets in Sports History - What Makes Your List ?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
What comes to mind when you think of biggest upsets in sports history?  I'll list a  few on my list and you all can run with it.

*** Centre  6    Harvard    0  

***Miracle on Ice - U.S. over Soviets in Lake Placid

*** Buster Douglas Clocks Iron Mike in Tokyo

***   Notre Dame ends UCLA's 88 game winning streak ( I was glued to the TV for that one)

***  Chaminade knocks off Ralph Sampson and top-ranked Virginia

***   '69  Miracle Mets

*** Leon Spinks Over Ali

***   Grandpa George Foreman defeats Michael Moorer

***    Valvano & NC St.  over Houston's Phi Slamma Jamma

***     Villanova over Georgetown at Rupp Arena

***    #16 seed UMBC  clobbers #1 Virginia

***     Tiny Edmonson County wins 1976  KY Boys Sweet Sixteen

***    Reds sweep heavily favored A's in '90 World Series( as a die-hard Reds' fan, this is my personal favorite)

Would any of these make your list of biggest upsets?   What are some of your biggest upsets in sports history?
Old School Hound Wrote:What comes to mind when you think of biggest upsets in sports history?  I'll list a  few on my list and you all can run with it.

*** Centre  6    Harvard    0  

***Miracle on Ice - U.S. over Soviets in Lake Placid

*** Buster Douglas Clocks Iron Mike in Tokyo

***   Notre Dame ends UCLA's 88 game winning streak ( I was glued to the TV for that one)

***  Chaminade knocks off Ralph Sampson and top-ranked Virginia

***   '69  Miracle Mets

***  Leon Spinks Over Ali

***   Grandpa George Foreman defeats Michael Moorer

***    Valvano & NC St.  over Houston's Phi Slamma Jamma

***     Villanova over Georgetown at Rupp Arena

***    #16 seed UMBC  clobbers #1 Virginia

***     Tiny Edmonson County wins 1976  KY Boys Sweet Sixteen

***    Reds sweep heavily favored A's in '90 World Series( as a die-hard Reds' fan, this is my personal favorite)

Would any of these make your list of biggest upsets?   What are some of your biggest upsets in sports history?

As you've mentioned before, I think you and I grew up in the same house.  I was also glued to the tube for the Notre Dame win over UCLA.  John Shumate.  Adrian Dantley.  Dick Enberg calling the game.  And I think Notre Dame scored the last 12 points in a row to win by one.  Also, I saw the Villanova win in person, I was a student at UK at the time, walked down from campus to Rupp, bought an upper arena ticket from a scalper outside for $10 bucks!  The economics of the tournament has changed a bit since then.
Chaminade's win over Ralph Sampson and #1 ranked Virginia gets my vote for the biggest upset in the history of sports, followed by the Miracle on Ice upset of the USSR hockey team.

Bottom NIT seed Robert Morris' win over top seed UK would probably make my top 50 or 100 list. 

UK failing to make the NCAA tournament this year after being among the top preseason favorites to win the tournament deserves a category of its own.
(03-15-2021, 09:40 AM)Hoot Gibson Wrote: [ -> ]Chaminade's win over Ralph Sampson and #1 ranked Virginia gets my vote for the biggest upset in the history of sports, followed by the Miracle on Ice upset of the USSR hockey team.

Bottom NIT seed Robert Morris' win over top seed UK would probably make my top 50 or 100 list. 

UK failing to make the NCAA tournament this year after being among the top preseason favorites to win the tournament deserves a category of its own.

I remember when I first heard of the VA-Chaminade score. I thought it was a joke. VA was considered almost invincible with the 7'4" Sampson.  Chaminade was a NAIA school , the same as Georgetown College and Cumberland College.   This upset was the equivalent of Georgetown or Cumberland beating Kentucky's Anthony Davis team.