Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Corbin's 2-0 & 1-0 Football games and Other Bizarre Final Scores in Sports History
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Briefly, let me say what made me start thinking about this topic.  Last night I was researching some of the old Corbin football games that I remember from my youth, like the playoff game in '73 that I went to with my pawpaw and the '76 game in MBoro between two of the best HS teams I've seen play(Corbin-Mboro). In the process of reviewing some of those past seasons, I came across something in the 2001 season that I bet has never happened in the history of football.

In 2001, Corbin defeated Russell Co by a score of  2-0 and in that same season recorded  a 1-0  win over Lex. Catholic(the game was played but because of violations by Lex. Cath the game was recorded as a 1-0 Corbin win).   It made me wonder whether anything like that had ever happened before or since. My guess is that it hasn't. I mean, 1-0 forfeits do happen on occasion but 2-0 finals in football are very rare. For a 2-0 final to happen in the same year a team won a 1-0 forfeit would seem to have to overcome astronomical odds.  Has anyone ever heard of this happening anywhere else?

As if this wasn't bizarre enough, and as David Letterman used to say, "By gosh, don't you think it ought to be,"  just five years later, in 2006, Corbin had another  2-0 final score , that time losing to Rockastle County.  Two  2-0 games in just five years seems almost incomprehensible.  In the history of the NFL, there have only been five 2-0 final scores.  What makes it even more stunning is that this was fairly recent history. Decades ago, it wasn't unusual to see two teams play to a 0-0 tie.  But in the 2000's ,  a 2-0 game was almost unheard of.  Further,  those Corbin teams, averaged nearly 40 ppg in 2001 and over 30 ppg, in 2006 ,  in all other games except for the 2-0 affairs.  Russell Co. and Rockastle Co. also scored tons of points those seasons.  Very odd, indeed.

If anyone ever comes across  an instance where a team had a 2-0  and a 1-0 forfeit  game in the same season, please let me know. I'd  say those results probably stand alone.

In this thread,  let's talk about other odd final results from sporting events. It doesn't have to be football. Can be any sport, HS, college, pro. I'm looking for some final scores of games that would be in the category of "Very Rare."  And if you know any of the  backstories to go along with those games, that's all the better.   I look forward to your input.

Btw,  considering the long and storied history of Corbin High School football , this might surprise you.  In the first football game Corbin ever played,  they lost to the Pineville Mountain Lions ........    142- 0   !!!
Not a different sport, but at Clay Co. we lost our homecoming game to Rockcastle Co. 2-0 in 1978. Missed a short field goal attempt at the end that would have won it 3-2. And I’d be willing to bet a 3-2 final in football is even more rare than a 2-0.
Finishing with 4 points has to be ultra rare in football.  In 1951,  Corbin defeated Hazard by a score of  7-4. 

There was only  one game in the history of the NFL in which a team finished with four points.   In 1923, the Chicago Cardinals lost to the Racine Legion  10-4.

One game that I remember in 2004 was when Iowa made two FG's hold up in a  6-4 win over Penn St.  Two FG's and two safeties  were the extent of the scoring.  

6-4 was also the final score of the first college football game ever played.  Rutgers defeated NewJersey(later to become Princeton) by that 6-4 score, although the rules of the game , including how the game was scored , were vastly different then.

I read awhile back about a HS game in Indiana several years back that finished  4-3.  Is it possible for a team to put a score on the board in a football game , hold their opponent's offense scoreless , and still lose?  Yep, kick a FG and  give up two safeties and lose  4-3.   What a dreadful way to lose!!!
My son was part of a football game that his team lost 2-0.
My son also played in soccer games with 12-0 and
10-0 scores.
1942 Sugar Bowl :      Fordham  2     Missouri   0

2008:   (I remember this  dud of a game)  :    Auburn   3    Miss. St.   2

Btw,   after the 2008 season, both the Auburn coach , Tommy Tuberville(Excuse me, SENATOR Tuberville) and State Coach, Sylvester Croom,  tendered their resignations.  That 3-2 monstrosity of a game probably contributed to both coaches' exits.