Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Most Underrated Guitarists of all-Time- Who Makes Your List ?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
We all know who is generally regarded as the best guitarists- Hendrix , Clapton ,  EVH, Page , etc...

In this thread, I want you to disclose some of the folks who you think are vastly underrated in the annuls of history for their guitar skills. You are more than welcome to include those who are well known and make a lot of the top lists if you think they are undervalued. For example, Knopfler  and Santana are on most anyone's top 100(  44  and  20, respectively on Rolling Stone's list), but if you think they are undervalued, you are more than welcome to list them.  I'm looking for incredibly talent guitarists in rock, country, or another genre that you think don't quite get the acclaim that they deserve.

I'll put five on my initial list and then add some more later. Of those on my list, only one, Lindsey Buckingham, gets a mention by Rolling Stone.  That publication lists Buckingham at a tragically low, #100 (move him up at least 90 spots, please). I don't think Buckingham gets the acclaim that he deserves because he is mostly known as a singer and songwriter for Fleetwood Mac for decades.

The others I am listing do not even a mention(not even an honorable mention) on Rolling Stone's list.

LINDSEY BUCKINGHAM

GLEN CAMPBELL

ROY CLARK

STEVE LUKATHER

NANCY WILSON

Have you ever seen anything quite like this done with a guitar before? Eddie Van Halen once said that he would never challenge Roy Clark to a guitar duel. Eddie added , "that old man would kick my ass!"

Glen Campbell with a smoking hot instrumental ("William Tell Overture").  Incredible.

And finally,  two of my top five together doing "Ghost Riders in the Sky" on Hee Haw.    Legends, that's all I can say.

For me, the most underrated rock guitarist is Gary Richrath, the original lead guitarist for REO Speedwagon. Go back and listen to their early live albums, and check out the instrumental “Flying Turkey Trot.” The dude was sensational.
Another guy that doesn’t get his due is Drew Abbott who was the longtime guitarist for Bob Seger. His stuff was just so clean and clear.
For other genres (although they do/did a lot that was rock) I love the guitar playing of Prince and Keith Urban.
(02-05-2021, 01:34 PM)Van Hagar Wrote: [ -> ]For me, the most underrated rock guitarist is Gary Richrath, the original lead guitarist for REO Speedwagon. Go back and listen to their early live albums, and check out the instrumental “Flying Turkey Trot.” The dude was sensational.
  Another guy that doesn’t get his due is Drew Abbott who was the longtime guitarist for Bob Seger.  His stuff was just so clean and clear.
  For other genres (although they do/did a lot that was rock) I love the guitar playing of Prince and Keith Urban.

Oh, hell yeah, good call VH!!!  Gary Richrath(RIP) was incredible. WAYYYYYY underrated. One of the best ever without any doubt. (Of course, he didn't even get a mention on Rolling Stone's dumbfounding list ) . When Gary left REO, they were still good but they sorely missed Gary. 

(02-05-2021, 04:04 PM)Westside Wrote: [ -> ]

#12 according to Rolling Stone.

Another guy who is pretty highly acclaimed by a lot of folks but I think deserves even more is CHET ATKINS.

STEPHEN STILLS probably doesn't get as much recognition as he deserves because he is mostly thought of as a singer/songwriter but he is a fine, fine guitar player.

On he country side, JERRY REED could flat out play.

Also, when you think of VINCE GILL you think of that amazing instrument of a voice he possesses but the guy can play guitar with the best of 'em.

Stills at work: