Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Larry King Dies
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Larry King has died at the age of 87.  I always enjoyed his show on CNN, and he always had big name guests, but when I watched a segment on him yesterday I lost some.respect for him.  First, in an interview with him he said he took great pride in not every reading the book of his guests whenever they appeared because he didn't want to be over prepared. He said that he didn't want to be over prepared.  They ,IMO, made him look like a slacker. Next they talked about he being married 8 times to 7 different women.  Any one could get divorced one, twice, may be even three times in life and it may be not be their fault but 7 times??????.  He had some type of problem there.  

Anyway, RIP Larry King.
Maybe he was a sucker for gold diggers!
I enjoyed watching Larry's interviews. He was a very good listener. He would ask his questions and let his guest talk until they finished. As far as not overpreparing, I kind of get it. I have heard him talk about that before. I think he sort of wanted to learn some things about the person right along with his audience. It wouldn't have been my style as an interviewer, but it worked for him. Gotta give the old fart credit, he kept diving right back for another shot at love, even after the failures. Again, not something I would have done, but then again, I'm not a legend like Larry.

(01-24-2021, 09:43 PM)Granny Bear Wrote: [ -> ]Maybe he was a sucker for gold diggers!

I think Johnny Carson was married about four times. Like Larry, I think his last wife was a lot younger than him. He must have finally gotten it right , though, seeing  that they were married nearly 30 years.  Carson was always very self-deprecating about his failed marriages(and his alimony payments).  :)

(01-24-2021, 09:49 PM)Old School Hound Wrote: [ -> ]I enjoyed watching Larry's interviews. He was a very good listener. He would ask his questions and let his guest talk until they finished.  As far as not  overpreparing, I kind of get it. I have heard him talk about that before. I think he sort of wanted to learn some things about the person right along with his audience. It wouldn't have been my style as an interviewer, but it worked for him.  Gotta give the old fart credit, he kept diving right back for another shot at love, even after the failures. Again, not something I would have done, but  then again, I'm not a legend like Larry.

(01-24-2021, 09:43 PM)Granny Bear Wrote: [ -> ]Maybe he was a sucker for gold diggers!

I think Johnny Carson was married about four times. Like Larry, I think his last wife was a lot younger than him. He must have finally gotten it right , though, seeing  that they were married nearly 30 years.  Carson was always very self-deprecating about his failed marriages(and his alimony payments).  :)

Johnny had been married for 18 years(not 30) to his fourth wife at the time of his death. I think Larry had been married about 23 years to his last wife .
I agree that Larry King was a very good interviewer. He asked good questions and listened as his guests responded. It seems that good listeners become more rare in the media with the passage of time. I doubt that many talk show hosts read many of the books written by authors that they interview to promote books. I see nothing wrong about King being honest enough to admit it.

Larry King was extremely liberal and I strongly disagreed with his political positions. To his credit, he was a professional and I think that most conservatives would agree that King did not allow his politics to prevent him from doing great interviews with people who disagreed with his political positions. (I am sure that in his long career, there were times that his opposition to the death penalty or some other liberal position triggered an angry reaction from him.). I will always remember him as one of the all time great interviewers and talk show hosts.
(01-25-2021, 12:39 AM)Hoot Gibson Wrote: [ -> ]I agree that Larry King was a very good interviewer. He asked good questions and listened as his guests responded. It seems that good listeners become more rare in the media with the passage of time. I doubt that many talk show hosts read many of the books written by authors that they interview to promote books. I see nothing wrong about King being honest enough to admit it.

Larry King was extremely liberal and I strongly disagreed with his political positions. To his credit, he was a professional and I think that most conservatives would agree that King did not allow his politics to prevent him from doing great interviews with people who disagreed with his political positions. (I am sure that in his long career, there were times that his opposition to the death penalty or some other liberal position triggered an angry reaction from him.). I will always remember him as one of the all time great interviewers and talk show hosts.

I agree with you, Mr Gibson. Larry interviewed a lot of people on both sides of the political spectrum for many years. He wasn't one who came across as blatantly biased on the air. He was fair to all of his guests and was always cordial and professional. He was there to conduct an interesting interview and that's what he did. I miss his show.   Big baseball fan as well.