Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Bands or Songs That You Overlooked and "Discovered" Years Later
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Are there musical acts that you overlooked or paid no attention to in your younger years but you came across them years later and thought, "How did I miss that" ?   Feel free to list either a band , a solo artist, or maybe a song that you discovered in recent years that left you wondering how you missed such a great tune.  Also, feel free to list an act that you knew well back in the day and didn't care for them much but time has changed your mind and now you are a fan.

I will start with a group that I only started listening to a few years ago, despite the fact that they had several hits in the '80's. For whatever reason, I just didn't pay attention to them back then. Too bad, because I would have liked them in my twenties as well as I do in my fifties.  Sadly, the lead singer with that distinctive voice passed away just a few weeks ago.   RIP  Tony Lewis .  Thirty five years after their terrific album, "Play Deep" was released, I am finally a big fan of .... THE OUTFIELD .

One of my favorite lyric to begin any song:   "You got me all screwed up."   I guess we can all relate to that lyric at one time or another in our life.

Heard this one about a year ago while leaving work. It will take you back to the late eighties when we were all listening to RATT , Scorpions, Whitesnake, and Poison on MTV videos(you know, back when MTV still played music).  For some reason, I missed this selection by Enuff Z Nuff but I've probably played it a couple hundred times the past year.  A melodic, piece of rock pop candy that makes you long for the eighties again.... FLY HIGH MICHELLE.

A couple more tunes that I only really started listening to the last three or four years.

The first one is by Alphaville and it speaks of the Cold War and the threat and fear of global annihilation.

The second one , oddly enough,  came at the end of the Cold War and the end of the Soviet Union -  a terrific anthem of freedom by the Scorpions.  "Mr. Gorbechev, Tear down this wall."  

Don't know how I missed these in my twenties . Must have had my head in a textbook or my mind on a girl.

Great thread!!!

Love The Outfield, this one is my fave:

(12-14-2020, 01:23 AM)Old School Hound Wrote: [ -> ]Heard this one about a year ago while leaving work. It will take you back to the late eighties when we were all listening to RATT , Scorpions, Whitesnake, and Poison on MTV videos(you know, back when MTV still played music).  For some reason, I missed this selection by Enuff Z Nuff but I've probably played it a couple hundred times the past year.  A melodic, piece of rock pop candy that makes you long for the eighties again.... FLY HIGH MICHELLE.

A couple more tunes that I only really started listening to the last three or four years.

The first one is by Alphaville and it speaks of the Cold War and the threat and fear of global annihilation.

The second one , oddly enough,  came at the end of the Cold War and the end of the Soviet Union -  a terrific anthem of freedom by the Scorpions.  "Mr. Gorbechev, Tear down this wall."  

Don't know how I missed these in my twenties . Must have had my head in a textbook or my mind on a girl.

Cold War and global annihilation is ok and all, I but love that song because it was in "Napoleon Dynamite" lol...great song.
Took me years to appreciate Bryan Ferry (and Roxy Music), his music is stylish and awesome:

(01-26-2021, 08:43 PM)jetpilot Wrote: [ -> ]Great thread!!!

Love The Outfield, this one is my fave:

Thank you, JP.

Boggles my mind that I didn't listen to these guys when I was in my twenties. Tony Lewis was terrific.
A band that was mainstream, but I didn’t care a lot about at the time, was Foreigner. But as I listened to more of their whole body of work over time, and since they are still out their doing it with Kelly Hansen taking over vocals from Lou Gramm, both great rock singers, I’ve really come to be a big fan. Mick Jones and the boys should be in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.
Where the Streets Have no Name by U2. I hated that song when it first came out. Now it is one of my favorite songs.
(01-27-2021, 10:09 PM)Van Hagar Wrote: [ -> ]A band that was mainstream, but I didn’t care a lot about at the time, was Foreigner. But as I listened to more of their whole body of work over time, and since they are still out their doing it with Kelly Hansen taking over vocals from Lou Gramm, both great rock singers, I’ve really come to be a big fan. Mick Jones and the boys should be in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.
I was kind of the opposite Van, loved them when I was a kid but they didn't hold up over time for me, everyone is different lol they were in my top 5 in their time...
It took me a while to become a Clash fan and now I think they are one of the most underrated...
Talking Heads way underrated...

She could probably talk me into going steady...

JP, what are your thoughts on Jeff Lynne? Growing up in the seventies, I loved ELO. Jeff is still out there sounding great. Legend, I think.

Jeff sure surrounds himself with incredible looking (and talented) ladies.

If we are talking underrated, let me throw the band I posted lyrics from above (I'll give you guys another day on that one), along with the great Canadian band Truimph. "Magic Power" is another of my top ten all time rock songs, and the Allied Forces album is just great.

(01-27-2021, 11:29 PM)jetpilot Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-27-2021, 10:09 PM)Van Hagar Wrote: [ -> ]A band that was mainstream, but I didn’t care a lot about at the time, was Foreigner. But as I listened to more of their whole body of work over time, and since they are still out their doing it with Kelly Hansen taking over vocals from Lou Gramm, both great rock singers, I’ve really come to be a big fan. Mick Jones and the boys should be in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.
I was kind of the opposite Van, loved them when I was a kid but they didn't hold up over time for me, everyone is different lol they were in my top 5 in their time...

Oh, I get it, that could be another whole thread, acts you've switched on. For example, Aerosmith's first three albums were just fantastic, and while I'm glad they were able to make a comeback later, I sure wasn't as a big a fan of their "sober" material.
(01-28-2021, 08:21 AM)Van Hagar Wrote: [ -> ]If we are talking underrated, let me throw the band I posted lyrics from above (I'll give you guys another day on that one), along with the great Canadian band Truimph.  "Magic Power" is another of my top ten all time rock songs, and the Allied Forces album is just great. 

Oh, I get it, that could be another whole thread, acts you've switched on.  For example, Aerosmith's first three albums were just fantastic, and while I'm glad they were able to make a comeback later, I sure wasn't as a big a fan of their "sober" material.
"Triumph" always kicked my ass with this song.

(01-28-2021, 08:21 AM)Van Hagar Wrote: [ -> ]If we are talking underrated, let me throw the band I posted lyrics from above (I'll give you guys another day on that one), along with the great Canadian band Truimph.  "Magic Power" is another of my top ten all time rock songs, and the Allied Forces album is just great. 

Oh, I get it, that could be another whole thread, acts you've switched on.  For example, Aerosmith's first three albums were just fantastic, and while I'm glad they were able to make a comeback later, I sure wasn't as a big a fan of their "sober" material.
Agree 100% on Aeorsmith Van! To me their first 4 albums were fantastic. Then I remember being so excited to buy "Draw the Line" when it came out and I was never so disappointed in my life lol. Also LOVED Triumph's "Magic Power"
Underrated IMO: Cinderella

Boy, I wholeheartedly agree on that! Of the big hair type bands, I liked them more than groups like Ratt, Quiet Riot, even Poison or Whitesnake, although I did like both those bands.

Here’s my favorite Cinderella song. I thought Tom Kiefer, their lead vocalist, had an amazing rock and roll voice.
(01-28-2021, 05:05 PM)jetpilot Wrote: [ -> ]Underrated IMO: Cinderella

Cinderella was the first hand that I ever saw play when they opened for AC\DC in Rupp back in the day.  Another band that I think is really under appreciated is Britny Fox.

I never appreciated the Doobie Brothers until the last couple years.
(01-29-2021, 02:50 AM)Westside Wrote: [ -> ]I never appreciated the Doobie Brothers until the last couple years.

I still don't.  Maybe it will hit me when I'm 75 and I say, "wow! , how did I miss that 60 years ago?"  lol     Still, they were better than most anything out today.  I did like "Black Water" and "China Grove.".  Two terrific tunes from my youth.

Michael McDonald is obviously a very talented musician but his music just never really hit my sweet spot. He did sing backup on one of TOTO's hits that I loved. See if you can here Mike on TOTO's " I'll Be Over You," a terrific love song from their album "Fahrenheit." You can hear Mike at 2:40 , 3:20, 3:40, and about 4:00 . He even makes about a 3 second cameo in the video. TOTO was a group I liked okay as a young lad but I really REALLY started appreciating them as I got older. What an unbelievable group of talented musicians.

I was still in high school when this TOTO classic was released.  My oh my, where has time gone?

You and I are almost always on the same page, but I just have never, ever been able to warm up to Toto’s music. I do really like Steve Lukather as a guitarist, he really shreds it on a lot of those all-star gatherings you often see on AXS TV.

As for the Doobies, I liked them quite a bit when Tom Johnston was the lead singer, less so after Michael McDonald joined. There’s no doubt he’s an excellent singer, but to me he’s more of a pop singer, thought the Doobies became a little too soft after he came onboard.
I never really liked Elvis until the last few years. My Mom always loved him, and since I started taking caring for her, I would play a lot of his song. I now like many of his songs.
(01-29-2021, 07:33 PM)Westside Wrote: [ -> ]I never really liked Elvis until the last few years.  My Mom always loved him, and since I started taking caring for her, I would play a lot of his song.  I now like many of his songs.

I never really liked Elvis until the last few years also. Since my dad passed away in 2017, I have started listening to music that I hated when my dad played around the house.  He loved listening to Elvis, Johnny Cash,  Willie, etc. I would get so mad when he would crank up the stereo listening to his music. Now, I find myself pulling these guys up on YouTube and enjoying them.
(01-29-2021, 08:00 PM)Jarons Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-29-2021, 07:33 PM)Westside Wrote: [ -> ]I never really liked Elvis until the last few years.  My Mom always loved him, and since I started taking caring for her, I would play a lot of his song.  I now like many of his songs.

I never really liked Elvis until the last few years also. Since my dad passed away in 2017, I have started listening to music that I hated when my dad played around the house.  He loved listening to Elvis, Johnny Cash,  Willie, etc. I would get so mad when he would crank up the stereo listening to his music. Now, I find myself pulling these guys up on YouTube and enjoying them.

I bet there are a lot of folks like you and Westside, that started to listen to and appreciate Elvis because of parents enjoying his music.
Pages: 1 2