Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Pikeville 49 Sayre 13
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Pikeville advances.
(11-21-2020, 12:04 AM)VoR_58 Wrote: [ -> ]Pikeville advances.
Sh*t
I figured pikeville would pull the upset in this one. My question is, does that now make them the best team in 1A? Ha
(11-21-2020, 12:08 AM)SayreSpartan2006 Wrote: [ -> ]
Sh*t
Real class there Spartan.
Congrats go out to my Pikeville Panthers. Sayre shows why they're a worthy opponent. Great QB, and well coached team. I think we'll be seeing more of Sayre in the future as they are an up and coming football team. Pikeville showed tonight why they are the class A reigning champs, and playing the schedule they play makes a difference. Sayre showed they don't play the same level of competition. Not to take anything away from them, they are good! Comparing both schedules.....there's no comparison.
Respect to @SayreSpartan2006 for being the lone Sayre fan on the boards
PHS DYNASTY Wrote:
SayreSpartan2006 Wrote:
VoR_58 Wrote:Pikeville advances.
Sh*t
Sayre has been running their mouths for the past couple of weeks.   Too much even for a Belfry fan!! Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin
(11-21-2020, 12:20 AM)OutlawJoseyWales Wrote: [ -> ]
PHS DYNASTY Wrote:
SayreSpartan2006 Wrote:
VoR_58 Wrote:Pikeville advances.
Sh*t
Sayre has been running their mouths for the past couple of weeks.   Too much even for a Belfry fan!! Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin
Lol ! Pretty sure too much for all of us Josey.
Sayre has made made huge strides, but you don’t make claims like that. LIFE LESSON.
(11-21-2020, 12:10 AM)PHS DYNASTY Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-21-2020, 12:08 AM)SayreSpartan2006 Wrote: [ -> ]
Sh*t
Heat of the moment man
I'm glad Sayre decided to start their program back up and hopefully it's here to stay.

Yes they played a easy schedule but they had a nice season and have a lot to build on for next season.

With Class A being so watered down I would love to see the Spartans build their program into a legit #5 class A program in 5 or so years...and I suspect they will.

Having said that even though Pikeville is really in a rebuilding year from what they've had the past few years and what they have coming up thru the pipeline the next few years...the Spartans just ran into a different animal tonight from anything they've seen this season.
Congratulations Pikeville!
Congratulations to the Panthers came out with some flare tonight p. Except for that one series, Pikeville played like they can. Sure hope the 2 injuries tonight aren’t bad enough to keep these 2 out ant time they need both these guys. Congratulations to Sayre they have had a good year but as alwaysGO PANTHERS!!!
(11-21-2020, 12:08 AM)Hound05 Wrote: [ -> ]I figured pikeville would pull the upset in this one. My question is, does that now make them the best team in 1A? Ha

I don't think so.  This was clearly a fluke and Sayre should be advanced to the next round regardless of the score.  They are clearly the best team in 1A.
I know the final score is 36 but at what point in the game did it go to a running clock?
Sayre could be a “Sleeping Giant” in 1A in the not too distant future. Coach Pennington is doing a great job in a building a new program. With that said, Pikeville outclassed Sayre in every facet of the game tonight. Congrats to Coach Mac and our boys. HAIL PIKEVILLE!!!
(11-21-2020, 03:43 AM)16BBall Fan Wrote: [ -> ]I know the final score is 36 but at what point in the game did it go to a running clock?
3rd qtr.
(11-21-2020, 01:43 AM)Walt Longmire Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-21-2020, 12:08 AM)Hound05 Wrote: [ -> ]I figured pikeville would pull the upset in this one. My question is, does that now make them the best team in 1A? Ha

I don't think so.  This was clearly a fluke and Sayre should be advanced to the next round regardless of the score.  They are clearly the best team in 1A.
(11-21-2020, 04:27 AM)HAIL PIKEVILLE! Wrote: [ -> ]Sayre could be a “Sleeping Giant” in 1A in the not too distant future. Coach Pennington is doing a great job in a building a new program. With that said, Pikeville outclassed Sayre in every facet of the game tonight. Congrats to Coach Mac and our boys. HAIL PIKEVILLE!!!

I don't think they will be. Too many schools in Lexington, at bigger programs pulling athletes for them to ever dominate 1a like your mountain schools. Douglas, Lex Cath, and LCA will pull too many athletes to their programs for Sayre to ever be dominant.
Don’t have to get a lot of athletes to be good in 1A. Sayre is possibly in top 5 in 1A. Pikeville is head and shoulders better than the rest of 1A
I wonder if Coach Pennington will stay after his son graduates.
(11-21-2020, 02:44 PM)16BBall Fan Wrote: [ -> ]I wonder if Coach Pennington will stay after his son graduates.
He has another son whose a freshman

(11-21-2020, 02:21 PM)Cobraxx Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-21-2020, 04:27 AM)HAIL PIKEVILLE! Wrote: [ -> ]Sayre could be a “Sleeping Giant” in 1A in the not too distant future. Coach Pennington is doing a great job in a building a new program. With that said, Pikeville outclassed Sayre in every facet of the game tonight. Congrats to Coach Mac and our boys. HAIL PIKEVILLE!!!

I don't think they will be. Too many schools in Lexington, at bigger programs pulling athletes for them to ever dominate 1a like your mountain schools. Douglas, Lex Cath, and LCA will pull too many athletes to their programs for Sayre to ever be dominant.
Plenty of kids of sitting the bench at those places at those places who could be good players in 1A ball....

(11-21-2020, 03:04 PM)HAIL PIKEVILLE! Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-21-2020, 02:44 PM)16BBall Fan Wrote: [ -> ]I wonder if Coach Pennington will stay after his son graduates.

Plenty of kids of sitting the bench at those places who could be good players in 1A ball....
(11-21-2020, 03:04 PM)HAIL PIKEVILLE! Wrote: [ -> ]

Plenty of kids of sitting the bench at those places at those places who could be good players in 1A ball....

Bingo. A lot of kids at these big schools would be starters at a lot of other schools. Sayre lees having good seasons you’ll draw some of those kids over their way and then you got something. Especially when you have a NFL coaching at your school who probably has a lot of connections to get kids recruited.

Obviously Pikeville doesn't have near as many high schools as Lexington but there are 3 high schools in Pikeville (Pikeville, Pike Central, and Shelby Valley) and the others would love to poach some Pikeville players and keep kids from transferring to Pikeville...not too mention Belfry is a 25 minute drive from Pikeville High School but Belfry does most of their recruiting in WV. I guess the same can be said for Betsy Layne High School also which is a 10-15 drive from Pikeville High School.
Great points! I can see them making the top 5 like some have said if some things changed. I just don't think I would call them a potential sleeping giant but you never know. They have a long way to go to build the program that the 1a powers have. I just see some barriers for them. The talent, which I do agree they could get a few good players that aren't playing for other schools but I still don't think that competes with teams like Pikeville, Paintsville, Raceland, Williamsburg, etc. Another barrier is the price to go to Sayre, and last I heard they don't give financial assistance. If that was to change, then I could see some talent moving into the program. They also have to tap the feeder programs early. There is a rule in Lexington that if a public school athlete transfers to a private and has played varsity they have to sit out a year. Most public school coaches will get talented players a couple of varsity reps their freshman year to prevent them from transfering.
(11-21-2020, 04:26 PM)PHSFAN Wrote: [ -> ]

Obviously Pikeville doesn't have near as many high schools as Lexington but there are 3 high schools in Pikeville (Pikeville, Pike Central, and Shelby Valley) and the others would love to poach some Pikeville players and keep kids from transferring to Pikeville...not too mention Belfry is a 25 minute drive from Pikeville High School but Belfry does most of their recruiting in WV. I guess the same can be said for Betsy Layne High School also which is a 10-15 drive from Pikeville High School.
True statements, but Pikeville is a football power, the type.of program players transfers into for a shot at a ring.  The programs surrounding them can't say that.  The opposite holds true for Sayre.  They currently are not a power, and programs surrounding them like Freddy, Lexington Christian and not so long ago Lex Cath are, so I would say the two situations are quite different.
Freddy Doug can’t recruit all of them
(11-21-2020, 07:05 PM)Erv Westside Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-21-2020, 04:26 PM)PHSFAN Wrote: [ -> ]

True statements, but Pikeville is a football power, the type.of program players transfers into for a shot at a ring.  The programs surrounding them can't say that.  The opposite holds true for Sayre.  They currently are not a power, and programs surrounding them like Freddy, Lexington Christian and not so long ago Lex Cath are, so I would say the two situations are quite different.
Plenty of good players can slip through the cracks at those programs because of their shear school size and/or talent pools. Ask any player if they’d rather sit the bench for a 5A or 4A State Title contender of get a chance to actually play for a 1A Contender. You and I both know what their answer will be. Not saying it’ll happen, just saying the potential is there.
I will say this for Sayre, they would soundly beat every team in Pike Co not named Belfry or Pikeville. Kudos to that staff and team on having a great season!!! Play a slightly tougher schedule next year, keep progressing, possibly grab another Lexington kid or two and you’ll be right in the thick of this district in no time. The only problem is Pikeville is loaded in the foreseeable future.
The tuition costs at Sayre will always hold that program back. As long as Pikeville, Paintsville, Raceland, Williamsburg, etc are in 1A, Sayre is going to have a rough time being competitive.

Schools like Pikeville are very attractive to kids outside their district because they invest into their schools athletic and academic departments as good as anyone in the state. Belfry was always attractive to the Mingo County, WV area because they invested in their football program and when the new high school got built it helped even more. Now that Mingo Central is up and going kids that may have crossed the Tug back in the day will probably stay in WV. Same can be said in Floyd County, now that facilities have improved and keep improving.

Newer, nicer, better is always attractive.
Pages: 1 2