Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Trey James Commits To Iona
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Congrats to the young man!
Congratulations Trey. Coach P is getting a good one
I think thats a great landing spot for Trey - he wont have the pressure of a high level D1 program, should be able to play right away and will be developed by Coach Pitino; he will be the best player he can be and should have a great chance to play professionally.
Professionally? Not a chance.
^^^You can always count on Wink to be the turd in the punch bowl, or anywhere else. Congrats to the young man, you will learn from one of the best.
We all know this is a farce. Will never set foot on a Iona ball court.
WinkWinkler Wrote:We all know this is a farce. Will never set foot on a Iona ball court.

Wow we have a guy with a crystal ball on here! Send me a PM who is going to win the next Kentucky Derby and I will give you a cashier's check for $1MM.Confusednicker:
Super happy for the kid, good scholarship from a good school and will play for a good coach. But he has zero chance of playing pro. He’s not very skilled, he dominates around the mountains because of his size. The only true skill he has is his timing in terms of blocking shots. Very nice young man, and hope he gets to play for Iona!
Milkcrate52 Wrote:Super happy for the kid, good scholarship from a good school and will play for a good coach. But he has zero chance of playing pro. He’s not very skilled, he dominates around the mountains because of his size. The only true skill he has is his timing in terms of blocking shots. Very nice young man, and hope he gets to play for Iona!

So Pitino can't take a raw kid and elevate his skills and put him in pro ball somewhere. :biglmao:

Prove dumb people wrong kid.
jetpilot Wrote:So Pitino can't take a raw kid and elevate his skills and put him in pro ball somewhere. :biglmao:

Prove dumb people wrong kid.

Tell me what true skills he has Jet pilot besides the one I listed in his timing. He doesn’t have a soft touch around the basket, he has no true post move. He gets all of his points by dunks, lobs or by just going over a smaller defender. How about you stop being bias, before you call people dumb sir.
Milkcrate52 Wrote:Tell me what true skills he has Jet pilot besides the one I listed in his timing. He doesn’t have a soft touch around the basket, he has no true post move. He gets all of his points by dunks, lobs or by just going over a smaller defender. How about you stop being bias, before you call people dumb sir.

He seems to do well for himself on the Nike EYBL circuit.
People on the internet telling college scouts they made a mistake has never made sense to me. Like when people said Kash wasn’t good enough for the SEC but played for U.K. and had a scholarship to South Carolina as well.

Have you ever seen Trey play on the circuit where he plays against kids his size and caliber? It’s a dirty shot to knock his skill based off him playing 5”11 kids. That isn’t his fault everyone else is shorter than him and he plays down to the level of his competition. Ray Kasongo was the same exact way, he could’ve had 40 points a night by posting little kids up and just dunking over them. But he didn’t, but on the circuit he garnered a lot of attention because he was playing kids his caliber and he had to utilize his entire skill set.

So just be happy for the kid, he’s helping Eastern Ky players get more eyeballs in the mountains.
I’ve seen the kid play on his circuit, he does play harder on his circuit. But if you want to use Kasongo as an example, let’s talk about him. How he switched from school to school and never got to play at any school he went to. He wasn’t very skilled either. I am happy Trey is getting more eye balls towards the mountains, because hopefully that helps my future kids somewhere down the line (not even born yet). But to say he has a chance of going pro, come on.
Professional does not mean NBA. People are making nice livings over seas. Play 12 years in Italy and not have to work another day in you life. It all depends on work ethic in those situations and Trey has just that. Sky is the limit for this kid.
Congratulations young man. If Coach P. and former Coach at Wake thinks he can play. I would think they know what they want in their program. Coach P will develop him and he will become the best player he can. Good Luck. Hope to make it over to watch him this year.
Speaking on behalf of all kids who tend to be put down... Wink and Milk, you two should grow up and act like mature adults. Getting on here to bash a kid, his ability to play and skill level is beyond childish.

Trey has put in a lot of hard work over the years to achieve his accomplishments, and for the two of you to bash him in a public chat room standing behind anonymous names is cowardly. Trey is a great kid and does not deserve the trash you two have spilled from your keyboards on here. I think he has great potential to prove himself at the collegiate level and beyond. What he wants to accomplish will be up to him and his work ethic. He has in fact accomplished a huge goal already by being among the tiny percentage (just 1%) of high school basketball players to receive a scholarship to play at the Division I level, something I’m sure the two of you did not accomplish. I say, the two of you should lay off the kid and give him a break. We can’t predict his future but I can tell you this, from what I’ve seen he has the ability to accomplish what you two believe he can’t.
I respect your opinion Mr Vanhoose, I do. I’m not bashing the kid. I’ve met Trey, I know he is a very kind hearted young man. I’ve told him my thoughts of his game to him. He understands where I’m coming from. It is a basketball opinion. You have yours, and I have mine. I just think the idea Trey can go pro, is very far fetched. I even said I hope he gets to play for Iona and I’m glad he’s getting eyeballs towards the mountains.
Not bashing the kid just stating an opinion. Had to listen to all this hype with his brother and it will end the same way. Compared to Justin Johnson, he is not even in the same gym. JJ cannot even get a look in the NBA. He had a decent college career. Just because someone expresses a different opinion, does not give other so called grown ups on here the right to call them a “turd in a pouch bowl”. As far as giving a break, prove the ability. As fas as the AAU circuit, that stuff is a joke.
eky.sports.fan Wrote:I think thats a great landing spot for Trey - he wont have the pressure of a high level D1 program, should be able to play right away and will be developed by Coach Pitino; he will be the best player he can be and should have a great chance to play professionally.

Professionally? He's still young. I didn't get my same tools I would suggest he needs improvement till I was 24 and that's a basketball opinion. I was 6'9 too. Let him develop first. Let's enjoy the fact a mountain kid gets to play D1 at any level.
We may as well change the name of the site.

“Rivals” is too strong of a word.

If you post an opinion (which is what forums are for), you’re automatically dogging a kid, coach or team.

Good lord, quit being so dagone soft.
BillSelf Wrote:We may as well change the name of the site.

“Rivals” is too strong of a word.

If you post an opinion (which is what forums are for), you’re automatically dogging a kid, coach or team.

Good lord, quit being so dagone soft.

The one's that do it on here aka wink he clearly has a personal vendetta against MC and the James family for what ever reason
The Martin County vs. Belfry games will be Dunk City this year.
Congrats Trey. Big grab for Iona!!
Congrats to Trey....Very humble young man who will continue to improve the next 5 years...The sky is the limit for him..
I'm really looking forward to watching Martin Co play this year, Trey should be dominant and he has some great players around him; I think Trey and Brady Dingess are going to be really fun to watch!
(08-14-2020, 11:43 PM)eky.sports.fan Wrote: [ -> ]I'm really looking forward to watching Martin Co play this year, Trey should be dominant and he has some great players around him; I think Trey and Brady Dingess are going to be really fun to watch!

Its gonna be a fun year in the region watching the Cards defend their crown.
To anyone who knocks playing professionally overseas-- the Euro leagues are typically six figure jobs where the salary is often tax free with housing, transportation, and other accommodations also included. A six figure income that is tax-free and leaves you with little to no expenses is a pretty sweet gig and will leave you in a better position financially than a cup of coffee on a two-way contract in the league. As alluded to above, a decade career in Italy will leave you financially set for life if you are smart with your money.

For anyone that is automatically dismissing him, Pitino and Danny Manning saw something in him. Pitino has had guys like Scott Padgett who plenty would have laughed at the thought of them playing professionally when they were in high school, much less being a first round draft pick who played for four teams over six or so years. James probably has more physical tools than Padgett based on his height. Not saying he'll play professionally, or will even play a game for Iona, but I'm not saying he won't either.
You pay me 6 figures to play in a country I'd otherwise never traveled to on a 9 to 5 job, I'll take it and keep it moving!
(08-16-2020, 10:11 PM)Spud6 Wrote: [ -> ]You pay me 6 figures to play in a country I'd otherwise never traveled to on a 9 to 5 job, I'll take it and keep it moving!

Much different making six figures and making six figures while living tax-free (or at a heavily reduced tax rate) with no costs like housing, transportation, meals, or your medical expenses while you are on the job as well. It's probably closer to actually making $250,000 to $300,000 than making $100,000 if you are in one of the top leagues, are smart with your money, and get a few endorsements or run some camps in the offseason. 

Josh Childress and Nick Calathes did very well for themselves overseas. Those guys and what they made is probably more the exception than the rule, but you can do very well in the right situation.
(08-17-2020, 01:37 AM)JokersWild24 Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-16-2020, 10:11 PM)Spud6 Wrote: [ -> ]You pay me 6 figures to play in a country I'd otherwise never traveled to on a 9 to 5 job, I'll take it and keep it moving!

Much different making six figures and making six figures while living tax-free (or at a heavily reduced tax rate) with no costs like housing, transportation, meals, or your medical expenses while you are on the job as well. It's probably closer to actually making $250,000 to $300,000 than making $100,000 if you are in one of the top leagues, are smart with your money, and get a few endorsements or run some camps in the offseason. 

Josh Childress and Nick Calathes did very well for themselves overseas. Those guys and what they made is probably more the exception than the rule, but you can do very well in the right situation.

However you want to give it to me. Lol tax free or paying taxes. 100,000 is still a lot of money
Pages: 1 2