Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: "Popular" bands that suck
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Not a thread about one hit wonders, what bands who had hits do you think didn't stand up to the test of time, or in your opinion just flat out sucked?

Think it over, I will post a couple of mine tomorrow. This thread might even bring Van out of hiding.:worthy:
I know I am forgetting some bands that are much worse\overrated than these but anytime I hear Boston or Kansas I grind my teeth. I can't stand them. They still aren't as bad as U2. They are the most overrated rock band of all time IMO. I don't get why they are so popular. Kiss is overrated, IMO, as well. I like 3-4 songs of theirs and all but one came during their none makeup wearing days. I just don't think they live up to all their hype. I would also add Dave Matthews to the list. He is horrible, IMO.
The Eagles and Nickleback are a couple rock bands I really don't like. All of the manufactured boy bands such as Nsync, New Kids On the Block etc or the girlie groups like Destiny's Child are like fingernails on the chalkboard. There many more these are only ones I think of right now.
Rat smells cheese, rat comes out of hole.

5. Bon Jovi-Rock and Roll Hall of Fame? Kiss my ass.
4. The Doors--Who could be more annoying than Jim Morrison?
3. The Eagles--A pretty fair country band. Wake me up when they play some real rock.
2. KISS--Entertaining live. Terrible on tape. Who listens to Kiss just to be listening?
1. Rolling Stones--I mean, they were a fine band in the 60's and 70's, but why they are anointed as these all-time rock gods escapes me. Other than "Start Me Up", they haven't had a really good new song in almost 50! years.

Rat retreats to his hole.
I saw Nickelback mentioned. Of course they suck, but naming them is really hitting the low-hanging fruit. I think they are almost universally regarded as the Kings of Suck.

As for bands that are actually pretty popular...

1) KISS = Probably the most overrated band out there. I understand that part of their appeal is all the concert stuff (pyro, etc), but that's really just to distract everyone from their weak music. I can't even think of one KISS song that I love.

2) AC/DC = I know I'll get some disagreement here, but these guys do not deserve the popularity they had. Their music is very simplistic, and most of their songs sound very similar. If you've heard one AC/DC song, you've pretty much heard them all. (That said, I will admit to getting pumped up when Thunderstruck is played before a football game)

3) Pearl Jam = The grunge revolution brought us some great music from Alice in Chains, Nirvana, and Soundgarden. But it also gave us these guys, and their weak contribution to the 90's. Never understood how these guys were popular.

4) Limp Bizkit / Kid Rock = The late 90's and early 2000's were a very bad time for fans of rock music. These two are pretty much interchangeable, so I'll just lump them in together. Both were very hard to listen to.

5) Rolling Stones = Yes, I know we should respect our elders, and they were one of the pioneers of hard rock. But I just don't like 'em.
Van Hagar Wrote:Rat smells cheese, rat comes out of hole.

5. Bon Jovi-Rock and Roll Hall of Fame? Kiss my ass.
4. The Doors--Who could be more annoying than Jim Morrison?
3. The Eagles--A pretty fair country band. Wake me up when they play some real rock.
2. KISS--Entertaining live. Terrible on tape. Who listens to Kiss just to be listening?
1. Rolling Stones--I mean, they were a fine band in the 60's and 70's, but why they are anointed as these all-time rock gods escapes me. Other than "Start Me Up", they haven't had a really good new song in almost 50! years.

Rat retreats to his hole.

LOL find Denis Leary - "Drugs" on youtube for great takedown of Bon Jovi .

I have many but 2 for starters - Night Ranger and Oasis. Butthead voice: "Oasis sucks worse than anything has ever sucked before."

Denis Leary - Drugs
DO NOT CLICK ON IF YOU DON'T WANT TO HEAR BAD LANGUAGE!!!!
More Cowbell Wrote:I saw Nickelback mentioned. Of course they suck, but naming them is really hitting the low-hanging fruit. I think they are almost universally regarded as the Kings of Suck.

As for bands that are actually pretty popular...

1) KISS = Probably the most overrated band out there. I understand that part of their appeal is all the concert stuff (pyro, etc), but that's really just to distract everyone from their weak music. I can't even think of one KISS song that I love.

2) AC/DC = I know I'll get some disagreement here, but these guys do not deserve the popularity they had. Their music is very simplistic, and most of their songs sound very similar. If you've heard one AC/DC song, you've pretty much heard them all. (That said, I will admit to getting pumped up when Thunderstruck is played before a football game)

3) Pearl Jam = The grunge revolution brought us some great music from Alice in Chains, Nirvana, and Soundgarden. But it also gave us these guys, and their weak contribution to the 90's. Never understood how these guys were popular.

4) Limp Bizkit / Kid Rock = The late 90's and early 2000's were a very bad time for fans of rock music. These two are pretty much interchangeable, so I'll just lump them in together. Both were very hard to listen to.

5) Rolling Stones = Yes, I know we should respect our elders, and they were one of the pioneers of hard rock. But I just don't like 'em.

Confusednicker:
As for some of the things above. More Cowbell, you are right that a lot of AC/DC’s stuff is similar. But for whatever reason, I still love them, especially with Bon Scott. Westside, I’m with you on thinking that U2 has been wildly overrated. JP, the Denis Leary clip was hilarious, the line about The Bee Gees I thought was even better than the Bon Jovi one. Totally inappropriate, which usually makes for the best comedy. And as for Kid Rock from above—while I sure didn’t care for his early stuff, I think when he sings country or John Mellencamp style rock, he actually has a great voice.
Thinking critically it's hard to argue the entire scope of the bands mentioned and the above insights. A few bands had 1 maybe 2 SOLID albums and then went into the pooper! And a lot of folks consider them GREAT BANDS

see Rolling Stones ( longevity doesn't = greatness ) Pearl Jam, Dave Mathews, and sorry Dusty - KISS -

I don't think Nickelback ever attained great status...some canadians may disagree.

I would add Stevie Nicks, and 38 Special.
Spirit100 Wrote:Thinking critically it's hard to argue the entire scope of the bands mentioned and the above insights. A few bands had 1 maybe 2 SOLID albums and then went into the pooper! And a lot of folks consider them GREAT BANDS

see Rolling Stones ( longevity doesn't = greatness ) Pearl Jam, Dave Mathews, and sorry Dusty - KISS -

I don't think Nickelback ever attained great status...some canadians may disagree.

I would add Stevie Nicks, and 38 Special.

You know, another band I LOVE, but only had two good albums, is Guns ‘n’ Roses. Appetite for Destruction was a classic, Use Your Illusion was good, and that’s about it. I do think if Axl hadn’t gone nuts and they had stayed together a while longer, they would be considered one of the greats.
Van Hagar Wrote:You know, another band I LOVE, but only had two good albums, is Guns ‘n’ Roses. Appetite for Destruction was a classic, Use Your Illusion was good, and that’s about it. I do think if Axl hadn’t gone nuts and they had stayed together a while longer, they would be considered one of the greats.

In my book they reached good status not great for the reason you mentioned. Axl going nuts did benefit Slash who parlayed the split into a number of different lead guitar collaborations.

I was having A LOT of FUN during that chapter in my life when G&R were at their peak. I've always reflected well on their music as a result... :biggrin:
To other posts:

Boston first album was an all time classic, every single song is a classic. After their first album, meh...

KISS obviously 10x better live, but their early stuff was great. Rock and Roll Over was awesome...After that, live only. KISS Alive! was great.
One of the top drum solos ever came from KISS

jetpilot Wrote:To other posts:

Boston first album was an all time classic
, every single song is a classic. After their first album, meh...

KISS obviously 10x better live, but their early stuff was great. Rock and Roll Over was awesome...After that, live only. KISS Alive! was great.

100% agree on this. Really interested in hearing you take apart Night RangerConfusednicker:, not a band that created a lot of heat, even in their heyday.
Van Hagar Wrote:100% agree on this. Really interested in hearing you take apart Night RangerConfusednicker:, not a band that created a lot of heat, even in their heyday.

I have 2 words for you: "Sister Christian" lol.
Like MC said earlier, low-hanging fruit. No takedown even necessary.
Night Ranger was an MTV fave from back in the day when they actually played music videos. I couldn't tolerate them.

Another one I thought of, Little River Band:ChairHit:

On a different note, I didn't realize there were people on this planet who don't like the Eagles. I can't imagine growing up not listening to Eagles music...
jetpilot Wrote:I have 2 words for you: "Sister Christian" lol.
Like MC said earlier, low-hanging fruit. No takedown even necessary.
Night Ranger was an MTV fave from back in the day when they actually played music videos. I couldn't tolerate them.

Another one I thought of, Little River Band:ChairHit:

On a different note, I didn't realize there were people on this planet who don't like the Eagles. I can't imagine growing up not listening to Eagles music...

Let me clarify on the Eagles. I do actually like their music, I think Don Henley is awesome, and their harmonies couldn’t be beat. I just think they are overrated as a ROCK band. So many of their songs were stone country, especially before they added Joe Walsh.
I can’t ever hear Sister Christian anymore without the scene in Boogie Nights playing in my mind. And here’s another overrated band I thought of. The Cars🤮🤮.
Van Hagar Wrote:Let me clarify on the Eagles. I do actually like their music, I think Don Henley is awesome, and their harmonies couldn’t be beat. I just think they are overrated as a ROCK band. So many of their songs were stone country, especially before they added Joe Walsh.
I can’t ever hear Sister Christian anymore without the scene in Boogie Nights playing in my mind. And here’s another overrated band I thought of. The Cars🤮🤮.

Agreed but lead singer gets bonus points for marrying Paulina Porizkova! Confusedinglepar
Spirit100 Wrote:Agreed but lead singer gets bonus points for marrying Paulina Porizkova! Confusedinglepar

Amen to that!👏😁 That’s a head scratcher right along the lines of Julia Roberts and Lyle Lovett.
jetpilot Wrote:To other posts:

Boston first album was an all time classic, every single song is a classic. After their first album, meh...

Everyone's musical tastes are different. I think Boston absolutely blows chunks. I can't stand them. I saw Kiss at Freedom Hall when they were touring with Aerosmith. It seemed to me Kiss was just there to collect a check. They didn't play long at all, and I thought they sucked. Aerosmith put on an amazing show and probably played 3x longer than Kiss.
Westside Wrote:Everyone's musical tastes are different. I think Boston absolutely blows chunks. I can't stand them. I saw Kiss at Freedom Hall when they were touring with Aerosmith. It seemed to me Kiss was just there to collect a check. They didn't play long at all, and I thought they sucked. Aerosmith put on an amazing show and probably played 3x longer than Kiss.

Haha no kiding.

The album was released by Epic in August 1976 and sold extremely well, breaking sales records, becoming the best-selling debut album in the US at the time, and winning the RIAA Century Award as best selling debut album.[3] The album's singles, most notably "More Than a Feeling" and "Long Time", were both AM and FM hits, and nearly the entire album receives constant rotation on classic rock radio. The album has been referred to as a landmark in 1970s rock and has been included on many lists of essential albums. The album has sold 17 million copies in the United States alone and 25 million worldwide.

All I said was their first album was an all-time classic, which is a fact...
jetpilot Wrote:Haha no kiding.

The album was released by Epic in August 1976 and sold extremely well, breaking sales records, becoming the best-selling debut album in the US at the time, and winning the RIAA Century Award as best selling debut album.[3] The album's singles, most notably "More Than a Feeling" and "Long Time", were both AM and FM hits, and nearly the entire album receives constant rotation on classic rock radio. The album has been referred to as a landmark in 1970s rock and has been included on many lists of essential albums. The album has sold 17 million copies in the United States alone and 25 million worldwide.

All I said was their first album was an all-time classic, which is a fact...

JP, I'm not saying the album hasn't sold well. It has. I listen to WKQQ, a classic rock station out of Lexington, which I'm sure you have listened to in the past. They play Boston a lot. I still don't like them. It's personal taste. I'm sure you don't like some bands that are popular. You seem to be trying to prove I'm wrong on a subjective question.
I haven't even heard of some of these bands. I just chill out to the 60s and 70s. Can't go wrong!!!

Stay safe my friends.
Westside Wrote:JP, I'm not saying the album hasn't sold well. It has. I listen to WKQQ, a classic rock station out of Lexington, which I'm sure you have listened to in the past. They play Boston a lot. I still don't like them. It's personal taste. I'm sure you don't like some bands that are popular. You seem to be trying to prove I'm [B]wrong on a subjective question[/B].

Not at all Westie. If everyone just liked chocolate, there wouldn't be any need for vanilla or strawberry!
I saw the Eagles mentioned a few times, but it seems most of the criticism is that they may not be a "rock" band. I guess I always considered them to be rock, just a little on the softer, country side. But then I don't really care for country music at all, so I guess to me I see a difference between the Eagles' music and country.

Personally, I do like the Eagles, although I wouldn't say they're one of my all-time faves. I was in college when the "Hell Freezes Over" tour came to Rupp Arena. I actually thought about going, until I saw how much the ticket prices were. After I picked my jaw up off the floor, I did the next best thing and asked a friend who was going to pick me up a t-shirt.
https://www.latimes.com/entertainment-ar...-film-espn

Eagles concert from 2018 on ESPN right now. Same lineup and seems to be identical playlist from Rupp concert. GREAT concert and if it isn't rock I don't know what is lol...:rockon:
jetpilot Wrote:https://www.latimes.com/entertainment-ar...-film-espn

Eagles concert from 2018 on ESPN right now. Same lineup and seems to be identical playlist from Rupp concert. GREAT concert and if it isn't rock I don't know what is lol...:rockon:

Eagles concert on ESPN😂😂. Sports in 2020.
Van Hagar Wrote:Eagles concert on ESPN😂😂. Sports in 2020.

It was nice to see something on ESPN that wasn't promoting the fallacy of systemic racism...
So what are you greatest bands? I'm basing mine on SOLID longevity and more than 2 good albums. Hard to argue the following:

+ Led Zeppelin
+ Allman Brothers
+ The Who
+ The Beatles
+ Red Hot Chili Peppers

And I do enjoy the Charlie Daniels band but I cannot consider them GREAT! Who are your Greatest Bands?
+Beatles
+Rolling Stones
+Led Zeppelin
+The Who
Eagles
Fleetwood Mac
Bob Seger & The Silver Bullet Band
Yes
Aerosmith
AC/DC
Doobie Brothers
Steve Miller Band