Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: USA Today Preseason Coaches Poll Released Today...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
USA Today Poll
1. USC (45) 0-0 1,481
2. LSU (4) 0-0 1,372
3. Florida (9) 0-0 1,278
4. Texas 0-0 1,231
5. Michigan (2) 0-0 1,218
6. West Virginia 0-0 1,205
7. Wisconsin 0-0 1,114
8. Oklahoma 0-0 1,026
9. Virginia Tech 0-0 1,005
10. Ohio State 0-0 919
11. Louisville 0-0 836
12. California 0-0 763
13. Georgia 0-0 604
14. Auburn 0-0 595
15. Tennessee 0-0 583
16. Rutgers 0-0 466
17. UCLA 0-0 454
18. Penn State 0-0 440
19. Nebraska 0-0 388
20. Arkansas 0-0 360
21. Florida State 0-0 301
22. TCU 0-0 233
23. Boise State 0-0 222
24. Hawaii 0-0 214
25. Texas A&M 0-0 209

Others Recieving Votes
Boston College 150, Georgia Tech 150, Miami (FL) 91, Notre Dame 90, South Carolina 90, Wake Forest 71, Missouri 58, Oregon State 52, Brigham Young 47, Clemson 30, Oregon 30, South Florida 26, Texas Tech 20, Alabama 16, Oklahoma State 15, Southern Miss 14, Iowa 12, Kansas State 8, Memphis 5, Houston 4, Arizona 1, Duke 1, Kentucky 1, Washington State 1.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/rankingsindex
jammin' jamey Wrote:USA Today Poll
1. USC (45) 0-0 1,481
2. LSU (4) 0-0 1,372
3. Florida (9) 0-0 1,278
4. Texas 0-0 1,231
5. Michigan (2) 0-0 1,218
6. West Virginia 0-0 1,205
7. Wisconsin 0-0 1,114
8. Oklahoma 0-0 1,026
9. Virginia Tech 0-0 1,005
10. Ohio State 0-0 919
11. Louisville 0-0 836
12. California 0-0 763
13. Georgia 0-0 604
14. Auburn 0-0 595
15. Tennessee 0-0 583
16. Rutgers 0-0 466
17. UCLA 0-0 454
18. Penn State 0-0 440
19. Nebraska 0-0 388
20. Arkansas 0-0 360
21. Florida State 0-0 301
22. TCU 0-0 233
23. Boise State 0-0 222
24. Hawaii 0-0 214
25. Texas A&M 0-0 209

Others Recieving Votes
Boston College 150, Georgia Tech 150, Miami (FL) 91, Notre Dame 90, South Carolina 90, Wake Forest 71, Missouri 58, Oregon State 52, Brigham Young 47, Clemson 30, Oregon 30, South Florida 26, Texas Tech 20, Alabama 16, Oklahoma State 15, Southern Miss 14, Iowa 12, Kansas State 8, Memphis 5, Houston 4, Arizona 1, Duke 1, Kentucky 1, Washington State 1.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/rankingsindex

DUKE? What in the world?
Scotty doesn't know Wrote:DUKE? What in the world?

Especially when they've lost like 20 straight. I don't think Spurrier can do THAT much.
Scotty doesn't know Wrote:DUKE? What in the world?

Yeah, man, what in the world? I mean, it's pretty ridiculous when UK's football team gets the same number of preseason votes as Duke. I would love to know what doofus actually put the Dookies in his top 25.
For like the past 3 or 4 years Duke has received a few votes in the preseason poll, and makes the list. This is a freekin joke because they have won like 5 games in ten years. Guess Dickie V must get a vote in the poll.
Whoever the coach is that voted for Duke should lose his right to vote in this poll permanently. No excuse for that.

Also, it's amazing how little love there is for Kentucky, who received fewer votes than Memphis and Houston.
It's nice to see my Buckeyes in the top 10 after losing so much on offense.
10 SEC teams in or got voted for. Man what a tough conference. A lot of those teams wouldn't be there if they had to compete in the SEC. JMO
OffTheHook Wrote:10 SEC teams in or got voted for. Man what a tough conference. A lot of those teams wouldn't be there if they had to compete in the SEC. JMO

SEC has 2 of the top 3 teams, 5 of the top 15, and 6 of the top 20 (LSU, Florida, Georgia, Auburn, Tennessee, Arkansas). Nation's best conference, indeed.

Incidentally, UK happens to play 6 teams ranked in the top 20, just take the list of ranked SEC teams above and replace Auburn with Louisville. Ouch.
Tubby Hater Wrote:For like the past 3 or 4 years Duke has received a few votes in the preseason poll, and makes the list. This is a freekin joke because they have won like 5 games in ten years. Guess Dickie V must get a vote in the poll.

LOL> The ole' ACC butt kisser.
More Cowbell Wrote:SEC has 2 of the top 3 teams, 5 of the top 15, and 6 of the top 20 (LSU, Florida, Georgia, Auburn, Tennessee, Arkansas). Nation's best conference, indeed.

Incidentally, UK happens to play 6 teams ranked in the top 20, just take the list of ranked SEC teams above and replace Auburn with Louisville. Ouch.

UK has a rough, rough schedule. I think alot of people are overlooking that they have a much more challenging schedule then last year so a year that is as successful as last year will more than likely never happen. However, with that schedule a .500 overall record in the# 1 conference in America, and the fan support of UK will get the Music City Bowl people begging for us to come back.
Steve Spurrier votes for Duke every year for in his words to repay them for giving him chance at coaching. I'm wondering how Memphis got 5 votes. Didn't they have a horrible season last year.
Tubby Hater Wrote:For like the past 3 or 4 years Duke has received a few votes in the preseason poll, and makes the list. This is a freekin joke because they have won like 5 games in ten years. Guess Dickie V must get a vote in the poll.

haha, now thats a pretty good one! I dont understand either why Duke would actually receive a vote to be in the top 25 of the beat teams in the country, they shouldnt even receive a vote to get in the pre-season 119, haha.
not that it matters right now but it is dissapointing that UK is not in top 25 and Arkansas is better than that also.
rallo316 Wrote:not that it matters right now but it is dissapointing that UK is not in top 25 and Arkansas is better than that also.
Until UK proves themselves in the SEC, they won't get any respect in any poll. And Arkansas is as one-dimensional offensively as a team can be. I realize Darrin McFaddon is the best RB in the country, but they had a pretty good QB last season who could carry some of the load if he needed to in Mitch Mustain. I wasn't looking for UK to be ranked in the pre-season poll, and I think Arkansas is around where they should be ranked.
Fenix Wrote:Steve Spurrier votes for Duke every year for in his words to repay them for giving him chance at coaching. I'm wondering how Memphis got 5 votes. Didn't they have a horrible season last year.

Huh, I had never heard that before, but I guess it makes sense. Still looks goofy seeing Duke's name on the list.

You're right about Memphis being terrible last year, 2-10 (in Conference USA). Yeesh. What were those voters thinking?
I don't think that UK is getting a fair ranking. They ended the season last year in the top 20 of the country and they get pushed aside like this. Come on people.
how did clemson get more votes than UK. UK beat them in the Music City Bowl. thats crazy.
As a Gator fan Im going out on a huge limb to say this, that a #3 ranking is a little too high for them, maybe on down the list as a 7 or 8. Only reason this is being said is because Florida lost basically everything on both sides of the ball, only returning 5 starters on defense and everyone knows how they were on D last season. Tim Tebow is really going to have to prove himself because its his time now, no coming in for Chris Leak, this is his team and until he proves himself and the D can prove they are better than last seasons then Florida should be up there. Im still a diehard Florida fan dont get me wrong and always will be, but some things need to be changed and hopefully they have the playmakers to do it. GO GATORS!
South Florida and Southern Miss got more votes than Kentucky? I find that hard to believe.
More Cowbell Wrote:Huh, I had never heard that before, but I guess it makes sense. Still looks goofy seeing Duke's name on the list.

There's legs to what Felix said...John Clay of the Herald-Leader made mention in his column today that Spurrier "does what he wants, whether it's voting Duke #25 in the coaches' poll because the Blue Devils twice gave him a job, or saying he will leave South Carolina if the school doesn't change its admission policies."
jammin' jamey Wrote:There's legs to what Felix said...John Clay of the Herald-Leader made mention in his column today that Spurrier "does what he wants, whether it's voting Duke #25 in the coaches' poll because the Blue Devils twice gave him a job, or saying he will leave South Carolina if the school doesn't change its admission policies."

I didn't mean I didn't believe him, JJ. On the contrary, when I heard Fenix's explanation, it made perfect sense. I cannot fathom any other reason why Duke would ever receive a preseason vote.

I could also very easily see Spurrier doing it just as a way of thumbing his nose at everybody as if to say, "I don't care what anybody else thinks."
More Cowbell Wrote:I didn't mean I didn't believe him, JJ. On the contrary, when I heard Fenix's explanation, it made perfect sense. I cannot fathom any other reason why Duke would ever receive a preseason vote.

I could also very easily see Spurrier doing it just as a way of thumbing his nose at everybody as if to say, "I don't care what anybody else thinks."

I want to see the list at the end of the season after they go 1-11 or 2-10. Does Spurrier still vote for them then? I just hate the fact that they are on there right behind UK when UK would absolutely trash them if they played.
Scotty doesn't know Wrote:I want to see the list at the end of the season after they go 1-11 or 2-10. Does Spurrier still vote for them then? I just hate the fact that they are on there right behind UK when UK would absolutely trash them if they played.

It may look ridiculous, but in the grand scheme of things it really doesn't matter. At the end of the year no one will remember who got how many votes in the preseason poll. In fact, the only poll that matters is the last one.
More Cowbell Wrote:It may look ridiculous, but in the grand scheme of things it really doesn't matter. At the end of the year no one will remember who got how many votes in the preseason poll. In fact, the only poll that matters is the last one.

Which brings me to a point. UK finished is actually a better team than last year and finished both polls witha couple votes for the top 25. That is exactly where they are now. Where is the respect? I know that every team did not stay the same.
Scotty doesn't know Wrote:Which brings me to a point. UK finished is actually a better team than last year and finished both polls witha couple votes for the top 25. That is exactly where they are now. Where is the respect? I know that every team did not stay the same.

My point is that the polls count for nothing, unless you are a contender for the BCS, in which case the poll standing counts for quite a bit in the final BCS standings. For a team like UK, I don't care about being ranked right now, I just want them to be ranked at the end of the year, since that would mean a very successful year for the Cats. Preseason rankings are nothing to get too worked up over.
More Cowbell Wrote:My point is that the polls count for nothing, unless you are a contender for the BCS, in which case the poll standing counts for quite a bit in the final BCS standings. For a team like UK, I don't care about being ranked right now, I just want them to be ranked at the end of the year, since that would mean a very successful year for the Cats. Preseason rankings are nothing to get too worked up over.

True. We just have to prove them wrong! This season can not start soon enough. 3 home games to start the season....I am never going to get home to see my family lol.
UK's players need to not worry about rankings and respect, just play. If they're worried about where they're ranked when the Cards come to town, they'll get torched.
More Cowbell Wrote:UK's players need to not worry about rankings and respect, just play. If they're worried about where they're ranked when the Cards come to town, they'll get torched.

Same goes for all of the other heavies that come into town this year. Man I can not wait to watch that Louisville game. Go Cats!
More Cowbell Wrote:I didn't mean I didn't believe him, JJ. On the contrary, when I heard Fenix's explanation, it made perfect sense.

I wasn't implying that you didn't believe him...I was just stating that there were legs to what Fenix was saying...:Thumbs:
Pages: 1 2