Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Pikeville College vs UK - October 31, Exhibition
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
It will be october 31st at Rupp. lol
RavenBoy Wrote:It will be october 31st at Rupp. lol

I don't understand why that's so funny. Pikeville will laugh all the way to the bank with money and exposure from the game.
Can't Wait
Does anyone know when and where they will sell tickets to this game? Would like to get my hands on some.
This is the best thing that could have happened to Pikeville College's basketball team, other than winning the NAIA title this year. Let us count the many benefits:

1) for one thing, the college/athletic dept gets to walk away with a big fat check
2) Pikeville's players get to play on Rupp Arena, something very few NAIA-level players will ever get to do
3) they get to play against UK's storied basketball team, which this year includes potential future NBA'ers like Meeks and Patterson
4) the game will be televised not only around the state, but around this entire region of the country on FSN
5) they don't have to worry about giving out candy on trick-or-treat night

I may have been kidding about the last one, but this still sounds like a no-brainer for the Pikeville College Bears! Very happy for them!
Im glad to see this happen. Pikeville is also going to play Eastern Kentucky University, Marshall and Tennessee Tech this season.

http://www.news-expressky.com/articles/2...02bear.txt
clipperw Wrote:Im glad to see this happen. Pikeville is also going to play Eastern Kentucky University, Marshall and Tennessee Tech this season.

http://www.news-expressky.com/articles/2...02bear.txt

Again, great exposure and a step in the same direction other NAIA powers like Georgetown College have done in recent years. If I'm not mistaken, Gtown played in a Christmas tournament at Pitt just a few years ago, played 2 games and came close to pulling off an upset.

Nothing but positives for Pikeville College playing Div. IA schools in terms of the payout and recruiting exposure. Hats off the Coach Kelly and the Bears staff for going in this direction.
I'm happy for Pikeville to get to play Kentucky at Rupp. It will be a great experience for them and their fans. Georgetown has proven that NAIA teams can be competitive against the big boys. And even if the Bears get smashed by a Gillespie squad wanting to make an impression on the UK faithful, it will still be a financial success for them.
jammin' jamey Wrote:Again, great exposure and a step in the same direction other NAIA powers like Georgetown College have done in recent years. If I'm not mistaken, Gtown played in a Christmas tournament at Pitt just a few years ago, played 2 games and came close to pulling off an upset.

Nothing but positives for Pikeville College playing Div. IA schools in terms of the payout and recruiting exposure. Hats off the Coach Kelly and the Bears staff for going in this direction.

Georgetown also nearly upset Louisville last season, falling 94-92.

The NCAA made a great rule barring the teams such as Nike Elite, Marathon Oil etc, allowing these NCAA D-2 and NAIA schools a chance to play D-1 competition. I heard a rumor that Alice Lloyd College will be playing at Morehead this year in an exhibition as well.
Can you say "Chaminade, 1982"? I can.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/m...-uva_x.htm
jammin' jamey Wrote:Again, great exposure and a step in the same direction other NAIA powers like Georgetown College have done in recent years. If I'm not mistaken, Gtown played in a Christmas tournament at Pitt just a few years ago, played 2 games and came close to pulling off an upset.

clipperw Wrote:Georgetown also nearly upset Louisville last season, falling 94-92.

I actually remember both of those near-upset situations for the Tigers. Almost beating Louisville was nice, but to me what made the one in the Pitt tournament even more noteworthy was that it was an actual regular-season game that counted on each team's record. Georgetown lost 79-74 on the home court of a Pitt team that finished 31-5, won the regular-season Big East title, and went to the NCAA sweet sixteen. Wow.
Not sure what to say about this it is definatly a good thing for Pikeville but can't say the same for Kentucky.
More Cowbell Wrote:This is the best thing that could have happened to Pikeville College's basketball team, other than winning the NAIA title this year. Let us count the many benefits:

1) for one thing, the college/athletic dept gets to walk away with a big fat check
2) Pikeville's players get to play on Rupp Arena, something very few NAIA-level players will ever get to do
3) they get to play against UK's storied basketball team, which this year includes potential future NBA'ers like Meeks and Patterson
4) the game will be televised not only around the state, but around this entire region of the country on FSN
5) they don't have to worry about giving out candy on trick-or-treat night

I may have been kidding about the last one, but this still sounds like a no-brainer for the Pikeville College Bears! Very happy for them!

Hopefully, it may jumpstart their program after having some down years. I couldn't believe my eyes when i first saw it but then after thinking about it, it will be such a fun game to watch. For two reasons, it is Pikeville College (grew up watching them in town) playing against UK and it will be an easy win for the cats.
clipperw Wrote:Georgetown also nearly upset Louisville last season, falling 94-92.

The NCAA made a great rule barring the teams such as Nike Elite, Marathon Oil etc, allowing these NCAA D-2 and NAIA schools a chance to play D-1 competition. I heard a rumor that Alice Lloyd College will be playing at Morehead this year in an exhibition as well.

With Pikeville, I just don't see that ever happen against UK, but hey stranger thing s have happened.
seen this in paper yesterday me and the boys will be there scalp tickets if we have to.
Now the entire state will get to see PC and what kinda program is run up there.
Any 14th or 15th Region alum's gonna be on Pikeville's roster for this game?
Brad Lowe Pike Central
Brandon May Sheldon Clark
Robbie Spears East Ridge

They were on the roster last year, so Im assuming they will be playing this year. They also signed Justin Hicks from Hazard a few months back as well.
clipperw Wrote:Brad Lowe Pike Central
Robbie Spears East Ridge

They were on the roster last year, so Im assuming they will be playing this year. They also signed Justin Hicks from Hazard a few months back as well.

Thanks Clipp, it's nice to see some of these local boys get to play against UK in Rupp.
Glad I could be of help! Its defiently a great experience for those guys. Pikeville signed some other local kids the past few years, Im guessing some of those were for the JV squad they have, and some may have wound up quitting.
clipperw Wrote:Brad Lowe Pike Central
Robbie Spears East Ridge

I don't believe May and Lowe are still with the team.
What happened to Lowe and May?
Case will be the only one, as May and Lowe decided college was not for them.
NEXT Wrote:Case will be the only one, as May and Lowe decided college was not for them.

What about Spears?
NEXT Wrote:Case will be the only one, as May and Lowe decided college was not for them.

Thats a shame, especially with a basketball scholy to Pikeville. I wish Pikeville the best of luck however I will be at that game and I will show no mercy..... Ok maybe a little.
More Cowbell Wrote:What about Spears?

As far as I now Spears is till there.
Will anyone get a prediction for the games margin?
I will saw 30-35 seeing that it is UK's first game. Final score: Uk-85 Pikeville-50 (that possibly might be giving Pikevillecollege more credit.
Pikeville needs to check over across town and see if Todd May might want to suit up and play for the Bears one last time... :thumpsup:
Scotty doesn't know Wrote:Will anyone get a prediction for the games margin?
I will saw 30-35 seeing that it is UK's first game. Final score: Uk-85 Pikeville-50 (that possibly might be giving Pikevillecollege more credit.
Id say UK by 18
More Cowbell Wrote:Pikeville needs to check over across town and see if Todd May might want to suit up and play for the Bears one last time... :thumpsup:

Heck, while they're at it, see if Bart Williams wants to throw on the ol' orange and black again...
Pages: 1 2 3 4