Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: UK is tops in nation
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
for average attendance for the 11th time in the last 12 years. UK drew 23,421 fans per game. Syracuse (21,516) , North Carolina (20,693) , Tennessee (19,661) and Louisville (18,488) round at the top five.
Big Grin
I bet if Rupp Arena could hold 50,000 it would sell for every conference game.

GO CATS!!!!!!!!!
calQlate Wrote:I bet if Rupp Arena could hold 50,000 it would sell for every conference game.

GO CATS!!!!!!!!!

I wouldnt doubt that at all.

I feel like I helped Uk out some with this record. I attended 5 home games last year, which is my usual average. I hope this year is the same, Im really looking forward to seeing how BCG handles this team. This is the first time in at least 5 years that I have been really excited about a season.
Coach_Owens87 Wrote:I wouldnt doubt that at all.

I feel like I helped Uk out some with this record. I attended 5 home games last year, which is my usual average. I hope this year is the same, Im really looking forward to seeing how BCG handles this team. This is the first time in at least 5 years that I have been really excited about a season.

I was at the UK- Florida game which I beleve was the bigest croud in Rupp arena history. They mentioned it over the speaker at the game. Anyways, it is awesome that we continue to be the fan mecca for college basketball.
It's such a joke that Syracuse is even that high on the list, much less occasionally being the attendance leader, all because they play their games in a football stadium. I agree that we could sell out Commonwealth for big games like Louisville, Senior Day, etc.
Love those cats!
More Cowbell Wrote:It's such a joke that Syracuse is even that high on the list, much less occasionally being the attendance leader, all because they play their games in a football stadium. I agree that we could sell out Commonwealth for big games like Louisville, Senior Day, etc.

I know that you where just mentioning these to emphaize your point but that would be halirious to see a packed Commenwealth Stadium in late December for a UK-UL BASKETBALL game. However, there would be no doubt in my mind that it would not sell out. (Poor basketball players would freeze their nuts off lol):eek:
Scotty doesn't know Wrote:I was at the UK- Florida game which I beleve was the bigest croud in Rupp arena history. They mentioned it over the speaker at the game. Anyways, it is awesome that we continue to be the fan mecca for college basketball.

I was at the Florida game in 05, which was the biggest crowd at that time. That was the wildest I had ever seen rupp, and the cats put on a great performance. It felt to great to witness UK giving Florida a beatdown.
Coach_Owens87 Wrote:I was at the Florida game in 05, which was the biggest crowd at that time. That was the wildest I had ever seen rupp, and the cats put on a great performance. It felt to great to witness UK giving Florida a beatdown.

Man that crowd at the Flordia game last year was pretty amazing! It is the record as of right now. Every UK fan was on their feet the last 15 minutes of the game, that even includes the old dudes down front. It was just a shame that UK hd to lose in such dramatic fashion.
No one noticed it, but I made a mistake in my last post. I said I was at the record breaking game in 05, it was actually in 04. I didn't notice my mistake until I was reading over the post on this thread.
Scotty doesn't know Wrote:Man that crowd at the Flordia game last year was pretty amazing! It is the record as of right now. Every UK fan was on their feet the last 15 minutes of the game, that even includes the old dudes down front. It was just a shame that UK hd to lose in such dramatic fashion.

The crowd was the same way at the game I attended, everyone left happy that night though.

I was biting my nails through the last few minutes of last years game, UK had to just give me that little bit of hope that they could win, and then break me down when they couldn't pull off the upset.

Did you attend the game early and get to meet any of the gameday crew?
Coach_Owens87 Wrote:The crowd was the same way at the game I attended, everyone left happy that night though.

I was biting my nails through the last few minutes of last years game, UK had to just give me that little bit of hope that they could win, and then break me down when they couldn't pull off the upset.

Did you attend the game early and get to meet any of the gameday crew?

I was there early, but my buddies and I could not get student tickets in the Eruppion Zone. We where up in the upper deck on the endzone part (which were truthfully not bad seats.
It was so much fun to see the crowd really get into the game.
Scotty doesn't know Wrote:I was there early, but my buddies and I could not get student tickets in the Eruppion Zone. We where up in the upper deck on the endzone part (which were truthfully not bad seats.
It was so much fun to see the crowd really get into the game.

The majority of the games Ive attended Ive sat in the upper deck. IMO that is where the majority of the true fans sit, they're the first ones there and the last to leave. Ive seen many people in the lower arena leave close games with 3-5 minutes left. The majority of these are the older group, most likely alumni season ticket holders.

When the crowd at rupp is into a game, I don't believe there is any place in the country that could compare.
Coach_Owens87 Wrote:The majority of the games Ive attended Ive sat in the upper deck. IMO that is where the majority of the true fans sit, they're the first ones there and the last to leave. Ive seen many people in the lower arena leave close games with 3-5 minutes left. The majority of these are the older group, most likely alumni season ticket holders.

When the crowd at rupp is into a game, I don't believe there is any place in the country that could compare.

Very true statement!! However, I get 5 dollar student tickets and I get to sit in the lower arena and yell my head off Cool :thatsfunn You should see some of the old farts that sit down in the lower arena. They must think that if they stand for more than the "big K flag" timeout then their hip will give out. It is a crying shame because there is a whole section overtop of them that would love to trade with them.
I agree Scotty i was at the Vanderbilt game last year and the whole lower arena side across from the bench set there with hands crossed the whole game while i was screaming my head off and wiping the blood from my nose.
rallo316 Wrote:I agree Scotty i was at the Vanderbilt game last year and the whole lower arena side across from the bench set there with hands crossed the whole game while i was screaming my head off and wiping the blood from my nose.

Too many games last year was it like that. I think the only one that they did not sit down for the majority of the game was Flordia...that is pitiful.
Scotty doesn't know Wrote:Too many games last year was it like that. I think the only one that they did not sit down for the majority of the game was Flordia...that is pitiful.

Guys, it has been that way at UK for a long time. I have been going to UK games since the late 80's, and even back then the lower arena fans mostly just sat on their hands.

I actually got to go a game last year and sit in the good seats with all the old fogeys, when a friend gave me some tickets he couldn't use. He had warned me that the other people around were pretty quiet, and he wasn't kidding. I was standing and yelling practically the whole game, and the people sitting around were looking at me like I had carrots growing out of my ears.
More Cowbell Wrote:Guys, it has been that way at UK for a long time. I have been going to UK games since the late 80's, and even back then the lower arena fans mostly just sat on their hands.

I actually got to go a game last year and sit in the good seats with all the old fogeys, when a friend gave me some tickets he couldn't use. He had warned me that the other people around were pretty quiet, and he wasn't kidding. I was standing and yelling practically the whole game, and the people sitting around were looking at me like I had carrots growing out of my ears.

I would love for them to take those peoples seats during a timeout and play a game witht eh upper arena crowd. They get to pick with section is the quitest and then pick 4 seats out and have those people switch because of their lack of enthusiasm.
UK Rocks We Have The Best Fans
bigman61 Wrote:UK Rocks We Have The Best Fans

...in the upper arena and the E-Rupption zone! Wink
More Cowbell Wrote:...in the upper arena and the E-Rupption zone! Wink

I agree. Nothing beats the E-Rupption zone.!!!Cool
bigman61 Wrote:UK Rocks We Have The Best Fans

Not in the Lower Arena. They have the most money.
Why cant Rupp be more like Dukes gym? Like how the student section is set up. Instead of having the students stand behind 1 goal??
RavenBoy Wrote:Why cant Rupp be more like Dukes gym? Like how the student section is set up. Instead of having the students stand behind 1 goal??

I have heard several times how so many would like to see Rupp Arena set up like Cameron, where the students dominate the lower arena and make the place a madhouse. Although that sounds like a nice idea, it will never happen. There is too much money to be made by selling lower-arena season tickets to people in this state (yes, often much older people) with very deep pockets.

I don't like it either, but that's the way it is.
RavenBoy Wrote:Why cant Rupp be more like Dukes gym? Like how the student section is set up. Instead of having the students stand behind 1 goal??

I would absolutely love it if UK could possibly take the tiny, tiny section behind the baseline and the benches and gives thoses tickets to the students. It would look really really wild on TV and it would be a major loss or anything because it is only like 3 rows across the court. Did I describe that accurately? If not I will try to get a pick and point out what I mean.