Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Lucas to Re-Evaluate Florida...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Former NBA player and coach John Lucas, who said his son will "see who the new coaches are and re-evaluate the situation," believed Donovan was headed to the NBA all along. "I always told Jai I thought (Donovan) would go to the NBA," Lucas said. "There's not much more he can accomplish at the college level after winning two championships, even though Florida's a very attractive place to play and coach. That's the nature of our business. He's a hot name right now."

Letters of intent to colleges are binding, but schools often grant a player's request to sign elsewhere in these situations.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/head...53144.html

I don't think Lucas will leave Florida. Sounds as if he had a heads up on the situation and was warned what he was getting into before he committed to Florida. I'm sure Florida will grant a request to Lucas if he wants to leave, but I don't think he'll go anywhere.
I hope he doesnt leave Florida. I know UK needs a point guard, but IMO, this Lucas kid will be no better than anybody UK already has. I think he is severly overrated, and have always said he'll be average at best in the SEC..I think the circus he put on during the recruiting process turned me against him, and I think UK would definitely benefit WITHOUT him. I dont think he has a team first attitude (although I dont know that for a fact, before I get tagged for this one), and if I was UK, Id save that scholarship..
TidesHoss32 Wrote:I hope he doesnt leave Florida. I know UK needs a point guard, but IMO, this Lucas kid will be no better than anybody UK already has. I think he is severly overrated, and have always said he'll be average at best in the SEC..I think the circus he put on during the recruiting process turned me against him, and I think UK would definitely benefit WITHOUT him. I dont think he has a team first attitude (although I dont know that for a fact, before I get tagged for this one), and if I was UK, Id save that scholarship..

No offense, but you would be saying the same thing about Patterson right now if he hadn't chosen Kentucky.
true...to a point. Although I do think Patterson was, and still is overrated, he DOES possess an SEC body, and one that is SORELY needed on UK's team. Kentucky needed somebody with some muscle, and a bruiser more than they need an overrated point guard. Im telling ya, wait and see, he wont even start in two years at Florida..
jammin' jamey Wrote:No offense, but you would be saying the same thing about Patterson right now if he hadn't chosen Kentucky.
UK don"t need him made his bed let him sleep in it.
I wouldn't complain if Lucas decided to come up to Kentucky, but I think it's really going to weigh heavily on who UF brings in to coach. If they don't get a former NBA coach or someone along the same lines as Donovan, I think he might very well want to get out of there.
I say save the scholly for Willie Warren and Rotnei Clark. 2 outstanding guards that are moving up on UK's list. These 2 would make Lucas look like a lost pup.
From what I've read, Lucas was pretty shocked by this, I mean after all, isn't this very reason why he waited so long to sign?

I'm sure everyone knew Donovan would go to the NBA some day, but not yesterday lol.
ComfortEagle Wrote:From what I've read, Lucas was pretty shocked by this, I mean after all, isn't this very reason why he waited so long to sign?

I'm sure everyone knew Donovan would go to the NBA some day, but not yesterday lol.

It sounds like from today's articles though that "Father Knew Best" and warned Jai that Billy D. would leave for the NBA. I think he waited so long to sign only to build-up his own hype.
I know that they say they expected him to go to the NBA, but I don't think they expected him to go this year.
ComfortEagle Wrote:I know that they say they expected him to go to the NBA, but I don't think they expected him to go this year.

Maybe Jai thought Donovan would hang around at least 2 more years? You may be right.

I don't know because Jai should've seen the red flag of Donovan not signing his new contract at Florida. Actions speak louder than words.
Yeah, this could get hairy if UF doesn't pull off a big name coach.
BCF4L Wrote:I say save the scholly for Willie Warren and Rotnei Clark. 2 outstanding guards that are moving up on UK's list. These 2 would make Lucas look like a lost pup.

Agreed. I feel as though it was a blessing in disguise that Lucas did not come to UK. I mean you won't turn down talent like Lucas but when looking at the now I would rather go after Warren and Clark than waste the scholarship on Lucas.
I hope he stays at Florida. If we weren't his first choice, I don't want him. I just hate it that I won't have the chance to booooooo him and Billy D when the Gators come to Rupp! LOL
My gut feeling is that Florida will have to bring in an established coach like a John Calipari, Jay Wright, or a Rick Barnes in order to keep Lucas in Gainesville. I believe the job will be given to Grant from VCU and Lucas will for sure ask out of his LOI.
He can stay where he is. We don't need him if he didn't need us.
alfus21 Wrote:He can stay where he is. We don't need him if he didn't need us.

Yeah thats the truth right there.
[B]Jai Lucas: 'If things don’t work out at Florida, Kentucky is the first place I’ll look’[/B]

http://www.kentucky.com/254/story/86059.html
I don't want him here but we need a TRUE point guard..
yeah, and it would be great if Billy Clyde could tell him "well come on up Jai, we'd love for you to walk on here"
Batpuff Wrote:[B]Jai Lucas: 'If things don’t work out at Florida, Kentucky is the first place I’ll look’[/B]

http://www.kentucky.com/254/story/86059.html
UK don't need him, save the scholly for next year, watch for a player to come from off the radar that makes Lucas look horrible, Gillespie is great at finding players and turning them into top talents.
cig107 Wrote:I don't want him here but we need a TRUE point guard..

TidesHoss32 Wrote:yeah, and it would be great if Billy Clyde could tell him "well come on up Jai, we'd love for you to walk on here"

ComeFlyWithMe Wrote:UK don't need him

Again, if Patterson had committed to Florida, you all would be saying the same thing. Amazing guys. Let your pride go just because he chose Florida over Kentucky the first time. What if Gillispie had too much to pride to take the UK job because he was the 3rd person in line?
jammin' jamey Wrote:Again, if Patterson had committed to Florida, you all would be saying the same thing. Amazing guys. Let your pride go just because he chose Florida over Kentucky the first time. What if Gillispie had too much to pride to take the UK job because he was the 3rd person in line?
I like that one, JJ. Smile
Actually Jamey, I'm a DUKE fan, but I do like UK.
Im guessing you didnt bother reading the post where I said that they both were overrated, did you? With that in mind, Id rather take somebody with an SEC body, rather than a 5 foot something point guard with a nonstop ego trip and someone who will undoubtedly be detrimental to the team's chemistry. I never once said that Patterson WASNT overrated, but if I had the chance to take one, Id take Patterson..simply because he'll help UK out more than Lucas..
jammin' jamey Wrote:Again, if Patterson had committed to Florida, you all would be saying the same thing. Amazing guys. Let your pride go just because he chose Florida over Kentucky the first time. What if Gillispie had too much to pride to take the UK job because he was the 3rd person in line?
Very true Hoss, I would take Patterson over Lucas anyday. Yeah Lucas did pick Florida over UK, he should stay there and live with his decision. He also should have listened when his dad told him to watch for something like Donovan leaving to happen. We dont need him, we have point guards that can get the job done. Who cares if he is a true point guard, I sure dont. I didnt want him to come to UK anyway.
Looks like Lucas won't be leaving anyway...This whole Billy D. thing has been crazy. He's bigger than a Beatle now.
Now UK can focus on the kid from Argentina.