Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: The Model Prayer
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
It is truly amazing to think, after reading the Lord's model prayer umpteen times over the years, how much I had been missing about the significance of the Lord's example. Many times I had approached the Lord in prayer for myriad reasons, including to intercede to the best of my ability, for someone who was either sick or in the throes of testing. I always felt the weight of concern, but was never quite certain that I was going about praying in the best possible way. I mean, I had heard the term prayer warrior applied to some people, it seemed a bit of a mystery. Then at last the whole thing coalesced concisely as I had occasion to finally grasp the example of the Lord's model prayer. In short, more important than how hard we pray, is understanding to Whom we pray.

Matthew 6:9-13 (KJV) 'The model prayer,' or how man is supposed to speak with the Father on his own behalf.

[SIZE="3"]9 After this manner therefore pray ye:

Our Father which art in heaven, Hallowed be thy name.
10 Thy kingdom come. Thy will be done in earth, as it is in heaven.
11 Give us this day our daily bread.
12 And forgive us our debts, as we forgive our debtors.
13 And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil: For thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory, for ever. Amen. [/SIZE]

In verse 9 and 10 the Lord explains we must know to Whom we are speaking. The Father is like no other in the entire universe.

versus 9 & 10---PRAISE HIS CHARACTER
1) - He is Holy, Incapable of tolerating man's sinful nature.
2) - He is sovereign. He is always sovereign no matter how unhinged things might seem here on earth. Remember, things on earth were perfect after the creation. It was only after man fell into sin, that death entered the world, and along with it all sorts of travail to include, sickness, famine, crime, and all forms of grief and treachery.

This life of gain and loss, and love and hate, is merely man's starting point from which he must either chose to accept the Lordship of God and eternal life through Christ, or to reject God and suffer an eternity of separation in Hell, away from God, and saved family and friends. Putting off that choice for one's entire life IS a choice BTW. It is a choice not to accept His Lordship.

verse 11---GIVE THANKS FOR HIS PROVISION
3) - He is the grantor/provider of all good things. And we are to look to Him for all of our needs... DAILY!

verse 12---HE IS THE ONLY JUDGE and HE IS THE ONLY PARDONER
4) - He is the only One with the power and authority to forgive us our sins. But we are to be just as free and nondiscriminatory with forgiveness in our own lives as that relates to others... ALL others.

verse 13---HE IS OUR PROTECTOR
5) - He saves those in His will from temptation, and keeps the evil one (Satan) away from us.

At this point the compliant child of God is ready for the next level of his prayer, which is to present his petition on behalf of others to the Almighty. The Lord demonstrated correct intercessory prayer in John 11: 1-26 (KJV) Which of course is 'The Lord's prayer, or how Jesus speaks (and we are supposed to speak) with His Father on the behalf of others. I would add, John chapter 17 is one of the most profound in the Bible. Much time should be spent in trying to get a grasp of the truth of it.