Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Memorial Coliseum floor being torn up, discarded
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
The original floor at Memorial Coliseum is being replaced, and most of the old floor — the very boards once trod by the likes of Adolph Rupp and Vernon Hatton — are going into Dumpsters.

Link..

I went earlier today and got several pieces including 4 solid blue pieces and 2 solid white pieces which were very rare at the dumpster today. About 20 people or so dumpster diving while I was there and there were few blue and white planks found.

Pretty neat day though getting several pieces of history like that.
Thats pretty cool Alfus..
Send me a piece of floor! A lot of Bulldogs have played on that floor over the years. Hazard won it's 2nd State Tournament on March 19, 1955 at Memorial Coliseum.
I'd love to have a piece of the floor, even a small piece, to keep with my 1955 program.
Thats pretty sweet, and sad that they are tearing a piece of basketball history down.
Yea I would have liked to got apiece of the floor as well.
I would like a small piece also. It would be awesome.
My Uncle played on that floor...i wish i could leave a peice on his grave
lot of games played on that floor and some great history.
After I give pieces to my friends and family if I have any left that I want to give up I'll cut it into 6" pieces and get your alls information. I'll let you know if that happens so I can get your addressses.
Some guys are hocking them on EBAY for upwards of $50 a plank.
Here's two pieces going in one auction.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...&rd=1&rd=1
Alfus, do they still have any of the floor out there? I'd like to go pick up some pieces as well.
ComfortEagle Wrote:Alfus, do they still have any of the floor out there? I'd like to go pick up some pieces as well.

I haven't went by there today. I went around 6:30 yesterday and there was a ton. Then I went back by around 10 and it looked close to empty.

Somebody said there are some awful pieces still in there that have been ripped up today that were harder to get out and have sharp ends and all that.

If I swing back by there this evening I'll stop and get some more or let you know.
Lol, I don't want to drive all the way down there from Richmond to get there and it be empty.

I'm going to make a few calls and see if anybody has been by there today.
ComfortEagle Wrote:Lol, I don't want to drive all the way down there from Richmond to get there and it be empty.

I'm going to make a few calls and see if anybody has been by there today.

:thumpsup:
Wouldn't it be cool to get enough to make a cornhole board out of it?
Bet the new one will look sweet
alfus21 Wrote:After I give pieces to my friends and family if I have any left that I want to give up I'll cut it into 6" pieces and get your alls information. I'll let you know if that happens so I can get your addressses.

I'll be your bestest friend and I'm a part of your BGR family.
Did I mention that I love ALF?? Here kitty, kitty, kitty!! Big Grin
jammin' jamey Wrote:Some guys are hocking them on EBAY for upwards of $50 a plank.

I think it's a shame that people are getting these boards out of a dumpster and making a killing on them on ebay.
That was the original floor? Wow, that stuff is well over 50 yrs old. What I can't believe though is that the university is not selling the planks to fans/collectors as memorabilia. A few years ago when Rupp Areana got a new floor the old planks were sold off in small pieces as a fund raiser. Now I know UK doesn't own Rupp Arena, but couldn't they sell pieces of the Memorial floor. I would think they would go over huge with alumni...