Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Can 8th graders play freshman and JV football?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Are 8th graders allowed to play freshman and JV football? I know they can't be on the field with the varsity, but can they play games with the freshmen and JV?
Go to the KHSAA website and look under handbook. Listed in bylaw 4 is the answer to your question (look under case situations). It is my understanding that you can compete on the Freshmen/JV level- IF there are no athletes enrolled above grade 10 competing on either team. It is the responsbility of the coach to determine this.
Just off the top of my head, I know of 2 players that have had 8th graders play Freshmen ball. Both schools also full JV teams consisting of 10th and some 11th graders.

RB Matt Thomas - Ashland (competed in the Kiwanis Bowl as an 8th grader)
RB Josh Gross - Russell (competed in the Kiwanis Bowl as an 8th and 9th grader)
Tomcat68 Wrote:Just off the top of my head, I know of 2 players that have had 8th graders play Freshmen ball. Both schools also full JV teams consisting of 10th and some 11th graders.

RB Matt Thomas - Ashland (competed in the Kiwanis Bowl as an 8th grader)
RB Josh Gross - Russell (competed in the Kiwanis Bowl as an 8th and 9th grader)

Also if I am not mistaken Seth Harvery played freshman football while he was an eighth grader as well.

Did Beach play up as well?
If I recall correctly Gross was playing varsity ball his freshman year and there was a bit of a to do when he played in the Kiwanis bowl his freshman year.
Midee1 Wrote:Also if I am not mistaken Seth Harvery played freshman football while he was an eighth grader as well.

Did Beach play up as well?

I wasn't aware of Seth.

I'm not positive, but I don't think Arliss played up. There was really no need to. When he was an 8th grader, the varsity had Jason Nichols and Jackie Smith. As a freshman, the varsity would have still had Dustin Steakley and Pee Wee Nichols.

He may have played up from 8th to frosh, but I doubt that he jump to varsity as a 9th grader, possibly JV though.
Midee1 Wrote:If I recall correctly Gross was playing varsity ball his freshman year and there was a bit of a to do when he played in the Kiwanis bowl his freshman year.

Yes, there were quite a few angry people over that. Especially after he racked up a ton of yards in the game. I played against Gross when he was an 8th grader. We were able to contain him from his QB position. I don't know if we'd been able to do the same if he were at the wing.
yes if your good enough to play freshman in 8th
Tomcat68 Wrote:Yes, there were quite a few angry people over that. Especially after he racked up a ton of yards in the game. I played against Gross when he was an 8th grader. We were able to contain him from his QB position. I don't know if we'd been able to do the same if he were at the wing.

Whats it matter?? If he is in High School there shouldn't be any trouble over him playing Varsity.
cig107 Wrote:Whats it matter?? If he is in High School there shouldn't be any trouble over him playing Varsity.

Cig im not sure but i think theres a rule that states if a player starts varsity and is an underclassmen then that player isnt eligible to play JV or freshman ball.
cig107 Wrote:Whats it matter?? If he is in High School there shouldn't be any trouble over him playing Varsity.

There was no problem with him playing Varsity. The problem in some fan's eyes was the fact that he started Varsity, played in no JV or Freshmen games, but dropped down to play in an annual bowl game that is for freshmen teams only. I still don't think many would have seen it in such a bad light either, except for the fact that he had already played in one of the annual games.