Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Rutgers' Press Conference
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Obviously, Don Imus said a stupid thing.
But, he is a "shock jock" radio personality.
While the press conference was going on, I
actually thought I saw the Virgin Mary descend
and cast a glow on Vivian Stringer and the
players. I am sure these girls are student
athletes. Still, I wonder how many of them
have CD's in their personal possession that
contain lyrics far more lude and degrading to
women than anything Imus said. The press
conference seemed to me like the biggest
"puff piece" I've watched in some time.
thecavemaster Wrote:Obviously, Don Imus said a stupid thing.
But, he is a "shock jock" radio personality.

If Imus is a shock jock, then he's the grandfather of shock jocks. Smile

Imus has been saying things like this and attacking people with a crude sense of humor for over 30 years in broadcasting, now suddenly he's being attacked for something he has implied before. Amazing.

I'm not defending what he said, I think it's wrong. However, why wait 30 years before busting the old guy?

Howard Stern, Opie & Anthony - those guys are shock jocks. Not Imus.

What's even more amazing is that Rosie O'Donnell blows her bullhorn everyday on the View saying it was an American conspiracy that 9/11 occurred and no one is saying anything. That's amazing.
jammin' jamey Wrote:What's even more amazing is that Rosie O'Donnell blows her bullhorn everyday on the View saying it was an American conspiracy that 9/11 occurred and no one is saying anything. That's amazing.
Now that's a nappy headed ho. SmileSmile
BCF4L Wrote:Now that's a nappy headed ho. SmileSmile

lmao, well said BCF4L.
Again, it takes the media nearly a week to make this a full blown story... it's an absolute joke that it takes 5 or 6 days for something like this to "piss people off..."

He shouldn't have said it, but it's live radio... there isn't anyone that works in that field that doesn't say something stupid every once in a while...

If this is the worst thing those girls are going to get called in their life, then they will be fortunate...
I cant believe he got fired today. He called Rutgers Ho's and they consider that racist but he said Tennessee had clean and pretty girls. So he said good things about girls and bad things. How is that Racist???
RavenBoy Wrote:I cant believe he got fired today. He called Rutgers Ho's and they consider that racist but he said Tennessee had clean and pretty girls. So he said good things about girls and bad things. How is that Racist???

He called the Rutger's team, which is predominantly African-American, "a bunch of nappy headed ho's."

That's why he was called a racist. I don't think Imus is racist, but what he said certainly was, and sexist as well.
Bottom line. He shouldn't have been fired for this. I don't agree with what he said, but I don't think it was that big of a deal at all and the Constitution gives him the right to say anything he wants on the internet.

10 years ago this would have not made any national news.
alfus21 Wrote:Bottom line. He shouldn't have been fired for this. I don't agree with what he said, but I don't think it was that big of a deal at all and the Constitution gives him the right to say anything he wants on the internet.

10 years ago this would have not made any national news.

alfus, he didn't say it on the internet, he said it on his show which is carried by CBS I believe, and MSNBC on the radio and televised.
Who knows, it may have been broadcast on the internet as well, but it was much more widespread.

Sure, the Constitution gives him that right, he's not going to go to jail for it, but the Constitution does not protect him from losing his sponsors and public outcry.

That show lost a lot of money from sponsors backing out from the show, and the stations that did carry the show did not want to be seen as supporting racism either.
ComfortEagle Wrote:alfus, he didn't say it on the internet, he said it on his show which is carried by CBS I believe, and MSNBC on the radio and televised.
Who knows, it may have been broadcast on the internet as well, but it was much more widespread.

Sure, the Constitution gives him that right, he's not going to go to jail for it, but the Constitution does not protect him from losing his sponsors and public outcry.

That show lost a lot of money from sponsors backing out from the show, and the stations that did carry the show did not want to be seen as supporting racism either.

Yeah, my bad I meant to put TV.

I bet they did lose big sponsorships. I just think it's unfortunate that someone would get fired over such a statement when his job is to entertain. Maybe FOX will pick him up now. Smile
alfus21 Wrote:Yeah, my bad I meant to put TV.

I bet they did lose big sponsorships. I just think it's unfortunate that someone would get fired over such a statement when his job is to entertain. Maybe FOX will pick him up now. Smile

He will more than likely go to satellite radio IMO.
He said good things about Tenn Girls though. If I call someone a HO that does not mean I hate Black people.
RavenBoy Wrote:He said good things about Tenn Girls though. If I call someone a HO that does not mean I hate Black people.

I take it you don't understand or know that he said "Nappy headed ho's" which refers to African American hair that is unkept and believed to be nasty.
RavenBoy Wrote:He said good things about Tenn Girls though. If I call someone a HO that does not mean I hate Black people.

You're not listening. He called Rutger's women's team a bunch of nappy headed ho's. This is a sexist and derogatory comment.

It's essentially calling someone the "n" word.

Who cares if he said good things about the Tenn. team. That doesn't make up for calling someone a racist and sexist term.
ComfortEagle Wrote:You're not listening. He called Rutger's women's team a bunch of nappy headed ho's. This is a sexist and derogatory comment.

It's essentially calling someone the "n" word.

Who cares if he said good things about the Tenn. team. That doesn't make up for calling someone a racist and sexist term.
Yes it is Sexist but not Racist.
RavenBoy Wrote:Yes it is Sexist but not Racist.

Nappy is a racists comment, though not horrible it is still not appropriate.
RavenBoy Wrote:Yes it is Sexist but not Racist.

nappy (adj.)
"downy," 1499, from nap (n.). Meaning "fuzzy, kinky," used in colloquial or derogatory ref. to the hair of black people, is from 1950.

Okay, different approach.

Why is it not racist?
Imus said, "I was wrong." What is the difference
between Imus and Snoop Dog? Both of these men say
"ho's." Is Imus a serious journalist? Does
Imus speak for the nation, the government? Or, does
he speak for himself? I think Imus meant to imply
that the Rutgers' team possessed some big, strong,
rough playing black players. Of course, that is what
he should have said. He could have even gotten away
with calling them "attractive deprived" or "beauty
challenged." If Sharpton and Jackson are serious
about this issue, they will begin to challenge the
hip-hop culture that degrades black women far worse
than Don Imus did. Why did he get fired? "It's all
about the money,boys." The most important color
in the world is not black or white...it's green.
ComfortEagle Wrote:nappy (adj.)
"downy," 1499, from nap (n.). Meaning "fuzzy, kinky," used in colloquial or derogatory ref. to the hair of black people, is from 1950.

Okay, different approach.

Why is it not racist?
So he is calling a woman a ho and saying her hair is messy. ???
thecavemaster Wrote:Imus said, "I was wrong." What is the difference
between Imus and Snoop Dog? Both of these men say
"ho's." Is Imus a serious journalist? Does
Imus speak for the nation, the government? Or, does
he speak for himself? I think Imus meant to imply
that the Rutgers' team possessed some big, strong,
rough playing black players. Of course, that is what
he should have said. He could have even gotten away
with calling them "attractive deprived" or "beauty
challenged." If Sharpton and Jackson are serious
about this issue, they will begin to challenge the
hip-hop culture that degrades black women far worse
than Don Imus did. Why did he get fired? "It's all
about the money,boys." The most important color
in the world is not black or white...it's green.
I wonder if this would have happend if Steven A Smith would of said it?
alfus21 Wrote:I take it you don't understand or know that he said "Nappy headed ho's" which refers to African American hair that is unkept and believed to be nasty.

Interesting note, Stevie Wonder recorded a song years ago with the line, "I was a nappy headed boy" in it.

This has been blown way out of proportion. It's not even about the comment made by Imus anymore, it's about free-speech and being politically correct.

I'm sorry, but I'll dang if Al Sharpton or Jesse Jackson tell me what I can or cannot say. Why has the media allowed them to shape what is politically correct, oh I know, because a white man said it, even though black rappers have stated things worse than this in their "art" for decades. Amazing.

Sharpton/Jackson, why don't you use your energy on improving the black community like stopping 15-years from being pregnant, keeping daddy's in the home with their children at better than a 50% rate, improving graduation rates in HS and College for blacks, instead of waisting it on Don freakin' Imus.
Nappy used to be a derogatory comment around the 1950's, nowadays, there are several black authors that are turning the word around and empowering it. Halle Berry is starring in a book-turned-movie that's kind of like this; can't think of the name right now.

The reason this blew up so big is that there is an agenda. There are several bills circulating around congress that would make racist comments illegal....could result in fines...etc.

MSNBC and CBS both let Imus go several times before when he made comments about Jews. I think I even heard about 10 years ago Imus made a racist comment which was overlooked.

Someone wanted to blow this story out of proportion, for whatever reason, who knows, but CBS and MSNBC certainly do not want to be seen as supporting racism when sponsors are pulling away and they are getting bombed by Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton.
Another thing... when the heck did Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson become the "moral authority" on everything... they are hacks....
the best post Ive read on here in a LONG TIME..and I agree totally 100% with you. All this did is give them a reason to get out of their chairs and try to rally the black community into a frenzy and hate on white people.......AGAIN. You never hear of them, either one of them, trying to improve their own race. But, I agree totally with you. Excellent post, JJ..
jammin' jamey Wrote:Interesting note, Stevie Wonder recorded a song years ago with the line, "I was a nappy headed boy" in it.

This has been blown way out of proportion. It's not even about the comment made by Imus anymore, it's about free-speech and being politically correct.

I'm sorry, but I'll dang if Al Sharpton or Jesse Jackson tell me what I can or cannot say. Why has the media allowed them to shape what is politically correct, oh I know, because a white man said it, even though black rappers have stated things worse than this in their "art" for decades. Amazing.

Sharpton/Jackson, why don't you use your energy on improving the black community like stopping 15-years from being pregnant, keeping daddy's in the home with their children at better than a 50% rate, improving graduation rates in HS and College for blacks, instead of waisting it on Don freakin' Imus.
FreakNasty Wrote:Another thing... when the heck did Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson become the "moral authority" on everything... they are hacks....
:Thumbs:
jammin' jamey Wrote:Interesting note, Stevie Wonder recorded a song years ago with the line, "I was a nappy headed boy" in it.

Great post JJ, agree with it 100%.
For now I will just say that the way the Rutgers' girls presenting themselves in the press conferences and other types of media attention surrounding the situation was extremely professional and I was extremely impressed with the way that it was handled on their part.
Context means alot, anyone that has ever watched or listened to Imus will tell you that he had comedic skits every day.

We have become a notion where you can no longer have humor against anyone with out offending them.

Jessie Jackson refers to Chicago as Hymie town because of its jewish population.
Al Sharpton called white interlopers and no one speaks up. These 2 men are jokes.

Anyone who says we as Americans have a right to speak are mind, Freedom of speech is the biggest joke in our nation today.

Imus may have said something when quoted by its self looks sexist or racist but you have to view a body of work on the hold to often understand how a statement was made.

I love what our country used to be, but I am afraid that we have started a path down a slipperey slope, CBS radio will now have to fire any DJ that plays a rap record with that type of term or will they.

I really have a problem with anyone that says it ok for one person to say something because of their color.