Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: DeAndre Jordan Watch Thread...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
“That relationship is strong enough to get DeAndre Jordan to Kentucky if that is allowable,” Scout.com national recruiting analyst Dave Telep said. “Kentucky was on his short list before hand and now the head coach that signed him at Texas &AM is at Kentucky.

As for Patrick Patterson...

“(Gillispie) did not have the contacts with Patrick Patterson that Billy Donovan did,” Bob Gibbons of the All-Star Report said.

http://www.courier-journal.com/apps/pbcs...3/70406028
It is allowable by the NCAA. if coach recruits a player to a school and he signs then that coach goes to another school, the player has the option to sign with another school.
A&M also has to let Jordan out of his letter of intent, which probably wouldn't be a problem. The school is not going to ruin a young man's future and risk getting a bad reputation for future incoming players.
If the program changes any signed recruit can change their minds and go somewhere else.
OK...You've smiled all day, kissed babies, mother's fainted, fans are for the most part please. Let's get to work.

He's made a good impression. He can really seize on this in the coming days. Next week is crucial for setting the tone in the Gillispie Era.
If Jordan following Billy G. to UK would be best for our program then I am all for it. If we can get our scholarships into the hands of bigger and better recruits then so be it.
I really hope Jordan decides to come UK. Kentucky needs a real good post player, and he could be the answer.
I hope A&M lets Jordan go because it look slike Kansas State isnt doing that with their top recruiting class.
WOW..How this would change U.K. FAST if DeAndre does decide to follow Billy G!
I would love to see Jordan be able to join us next year but I have a feeling A&M is not going to release him, because they are upset over the way Gillespie left. He used the Arkansas job to get a raise and then he leaves for KY. I dont see A&M doing him any favors.
Tubby Hater Wrote:I would love to see Jordan be able to join us next year but I have a feeling A&M is not going to release him, because they are upset over the way Gillespie left. He used the Arkansas job to get a raise and then he leaves for KY. I dont see A&M doing him any favors.
They have no choice in the matter. Since the coached he signed with left he has the right and ability to leave if he so chooses.
Amun-Ra Wrote:They have no choice in the matter. Since the coached he signed with left he has the right and ability to leave if he so chooses.
Thats not the case the school they sign with has to release them, or they have to sit out 1 year.
Has anyone actually heard Jordan's side of this?? He may want to stay at A&M but if not we need him badly.
I sure hope that we get this guy, he sounds like a good catch....Does anyone have any of his high school stats to post or a link to them?
Rivals has him as #8 overall Senior and #2 Center in the country. You can visit http://www.rivals.com to view his stats
I am sure that BILLY G has contacted him already after finding out he was the Head Coach at UK since Randolph left and he knows how bad we are hurting upfront! This man is a workhorse and will do whatever it takes!
He had stated during the Arkansas offer that he would follow Billy G. if he left, but that was a couple of weeks ago.
Moe Wrote:Has anyone actually heard Jordan's side of this?? He may want to stay at A&M but if not we need him badly.

They brought up yesterday that Jordan had been asked this already. They said yesterday that he said that he would indeed think about following Billy G to UK. Let's hope he does this would be huge!
Here is interesting question and answer from the National Letter of Intent website produced by the NCAA:

What happens if I change my mind about attending the institution with which I signed, and I want to attend another National Letter of Intent institution instead?
If you do not attend the institution with which you signed, or if you do not fulfill the terms of the National Letter of Intent, the basic penalty is that you lose one year of eligibility in all sports and must serve one year in residence at your next National Letter of Intent institution.
Is an institution required to grant a complete release if I ask for it?
No. Just as the National Letter of Intent is a voluntary agreement, granting a complete release is voluntary in nature. If an institution denies your request for a complete release, you may petition the National Letter of Intent Steering Committee for such a release. In order to appeal to the NLI Steering Committee, you must provide a copy of the NLI Release Request Form, signed by the director of athletics, indicating "No Release." Once proper documentation has been submitted, the NLI Steering Committee will consider your request.
If my request for a complete release is denied, is the institution obligated to provide me an opportunity for a hearing?
No. You are not entitled to a hearing under National Letter of Intent policy inasmuch as you are permitted to file an appeal when denied a complete release by the signing institution.
If I do not satisfy my National Letter of Intent agreement, may I practice or receive athletics aid at another National Letter of Intent institution?
Yes. The National Letter of Intent basic penalty is the loss of one year of eligibility in all sports and a required one year in residence at the next National Letter of Intent institution. It does not include a prohibition against receiving athletics financial aid or practicing with a team. Is a National Letter of Intent binding if the coach of my sport leaves the institution? Yes. The National Letter of Intent you signed with an institution is valid if the coach who recruited you leaves the institution with which you signed. When you sign a National Letter of Intent you sign with an institution and not with a coach or a specific team.
http://www.national-letter.org/faq/
So basically the Letter of Intent makes Jordan stays with A&M or come to UK and lose a year of eligibility. A&M doesn't have to let him do anything and there's basically nothing he can do about it besides lose a year of playing time. That sucks.
thetribe Wrote:So basically the Letter of Intent makes Jordan stays with A&M or come to UK and lose a year of eligibility. A&M doesn't have to let him do anything and there's basically nothing he can do about it besides lose a year of playing time. That sucks.
He can appeal to the committee and claim extenuating cicumstances that the coach who signed him left..There has been alot of discussion that the NCAA was going to allow players "free release" if there is a coaching change...remember, A&M could give him the release as well.
I dont think he losses a year of play he would just have to sit out a year as any student would that transfers. He would still have all four years left to play after he sat out the year. Now this is if A&M wouldnt release him and his appeal would fail.
This would help out UK alot if he would come, we really need a post player
BTW...Gillispie IS NOT allowed to contact him...he has already signed a letter of intent
FOX SPORTS Wrote:BTW...Gillispie IS NOT allowed to contact him...he has already signed a letter of intent
You are right he cannot contact him. Jordan can however call him. Now back to the Letter of intent. In the case of an significant change in the program; Ex coaching change, the player can chose to change his mind with no penalty. There was a similar circumstance like a year or two ago when this occured.
Amun-Ra Wrote:It is allowable by the NCAA. if coach recruits a player to a school and he signs then that coach goes to another school, the player has the option to sign with another school.

The Aggies have to give permission for him to renig on his LOI.
FOX SPORTS Wrote:BTW...Gillispie IS NOT allowed to contact him...he has already signed a letter of intent

Are you 100% sure about that? I'll have to check that out. I'll get back on it.
Does anyone know of any situation in which the school allowed the recruit to follow the coach? I would think that they would allow this unless the coach went to a rival or conference school where the schools would compete every year. That would be the only situation I could think of that would justify NOT allowing a recruit out of their LOI. No school wants the possible public relations nightmare of having a big time athlete that doesn't want to play for your school. It seems to me that they would let anyone out of their LOI rather than have the consequences of bad press. The outcome of the situation could have a lasting effect on recruiting at the school is they refuse to release the recruit. It could definately do more bad than good for the school and releasing the recruit would be the best thing for both parties and I'm sure Texas A&M know this. I look for them to release him if he does ask and that would be great knew for the Blue Nation. Gillespie's popularity would be even higher than it is already and that would be a pretty impressive move right off the bat.
Ref Devil Wrote:Are you 100% sure about that? I'll have to check that out. I'll get back on it.

You are 100% correct about that. After signing a LOI, the recruiting process ends and a recruiting "ban" goes into effect. But I wonder if there is a provision for this type of situation that allows for the coach to speak with the recruits about their future. If not, how could the recruit speak about leaving with the coach unless the recruit called the coach every single time. I would think there is some kind of provision or unwritten rule concerning this type of situation. Maybe not though but it's an interesting subject to check out.
Pages: 1 2