Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Rick Barnes is UK's Plan B
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Speculation has centered on Texas coach Rick Barnes as Kentucky's Plan B to replace Tubby Smith, who left the program in March for the job at Minnesota. Sources said Thursday that that speculation is accurate and that Barnes will seriously listen to Kentucky's pitch.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=2826756

The link is the same story about Donovan earlier, but ESPN has revised the article.
I really hope he comes. He could bring some major recruits in.
Rick Barnes is not any better.
Texas coach Rick Barnes could be on athletic director Mitch Barnhart's list. Texas A&M coach Billy Gillispie has agreed in principle to a contract extension with the Aggies said spokesman Colin Killian. It was unclear, however, whether Gillispie had signed the extension by Thursday afternoon.

Michigan State coach Tom Izzo and Memphis coach John Calipari's names have also been mentioned.

Barnhart issued a statement on Thursday asking for patience during the hiring process.

http://www.lex18.com/Global/story.asp?S=...5&nav=EQlr
no rick barnes is a waste of time get Pelphery on the d**n phone at least he is from ky.
Scott McConnell, Texas' media contact for basketball, said there has been no formal contact between Barnes and Kentucky. McConnell said Barnes' schedule has him on campus Thursday planning offseason workouts, then flying to Los Angeles on Friday with Longhorns freshman forward Kevin Durant for the Wooden Award presentation. Texas' team banquet is scheduled for Monday.
Does anyone else feel like Donovan could
have probably said "No interest in leaving
Florida" a week or so ago?
Bring Izzo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Charlie Wrote:Rick Barnes is not any better.

Well he done pretty good this year and he done a pretty good job recruting. He got Kevin Durrant who broke just about every freshman record he could break and is bringin in the 16th ranked class for next year.
Without Donavan we are starting over anyhow. Bring on Pelphrey!
Pelphrey wouldn't be wise. Barnes wouldn't be wise. Izzo would be ok I guess. Calipari would be the style UK is used to seeing. To be honest, I don't know what to think right now.
If Calipari has not signed the offered
extension, I think he's the man. He
can recruit; he plays uptempo; his
offense is exciting; his teams get
after it on defense. If not for
a GREAT UK team in '96, he'd have
a championship. He's been to the
NBA, achieved financial security,
and, I think, would like a chance
to coach at a place like UK.
UK is screwed all the way around. All I can say is bring on football at least they winning again and are heading in the right direction.
It doesnt matter they will not get a high profile coach to come to UK.
Calipari also has NCAA problems in his closet...not a good choice.
Batpuff Wrote:It doesnt matter they will not get a high profile coach to come to UK.

I wanted Donovan, but I don't think he is
the be-all, end-all of high quality coaches
who can take UK basketball to the winner's
circle the first Monday in April. Donovan
put together a unique group of players...that
doesn't happen but, oh, about once every twenty
or thirty years. My focus is now on Calipari.
He was on the Jim Rome program a couple of days
ago and was very impressive.
thecavemaster Wrote:I wanted Donovan, but I don't think he is
the be-all, end-all of high quality coaches
who can take UK basketball to the winner's
circle the first Monday in April. Donovan
put together a unique group of players...that
doesn't happen but, oh, about once every twenty
or thirty years. My focus is now on Calipari.
He was on the Jim Rome program a couple of days
ago and was very impressive.

He has already signed a contract extension.
Thanks...didn't know he had already put his name
in ink on the contract. I can't get that excited about
Rick Barnes for some reason. I know he can recruit...
I know he plays uptempo...but...just don't fell the
mojo...
Batpuff Wrote:It doesnt matter they will not get a high profile coach to come to UK.

I hope you're kidding. Barnhart will make a fine hire. He has all the pressure on the world on him now. Barnes is not a bad coach. What he has done at Texas is great, and imagine what he could do with the resources at Kentucky. Gillispie built a team from nothing at A&M and would also be able to use UK's resources to his advantage.
thecavemaster Wrote:If Calipari has not signed the offered
extension, I think he's the man. He
can recruit; he plays uptempo; his
offense is exciting; his teams get
after it on defense. If not for
a GREAT UK team in '96, he'd have
a championship. He's been to the
NBA, achieved financial security,
and, I think, would like a chance
to coach at a place like UK.

Calipari will never be at UK. His 96 team that UK beat in the final 4 got him into hot water. Boosters were paying players, ie: Marcus Camby. NCAA monitors Calipari's programs really close. UK dosen't need a coach who has bad baggage.
I still like Tom Izzo no matter what. He is a great minded coach who would do well at Kentucky. So would Barnes, I really like him alot to, great recruiter and has a great style of play.
Rick Barnes will be the next coach at Kentucky..
Did Rick Barnes coach in the ACC?
To me Tom Izzo is slow it down type of style we dont want that do we
I'm sorry but I think this whole not getting Donovan thing is all Barnhart. Donovan mentioned in his press conference today that no offer was even made to him. IMO, Barnhart had someone else in mind all along, and wanted to make the fans of UK think he was trying to pursue Donovan which obviously wasn't the case. If Barnhart would have been really interested, he would have thrown some sort of numbers at him or at least had a better conversation than what has been reported and said by Donovan. UK's next coach will be a dud I think personally. Barnhart knows how to pick a coach about like Tubby knew how to recruit.
BCF4L Wrote:I'm sorry but I think this whole not getting Donovan thing is all Barnhart. Donovan mentioned in his press conference today that no offer was even made to him. IMO, Barnhart had someone else in mind all along, and wanted to make the fans of UK think he was trying to pursue Donovan which obviously wasn't the case. If Barnhart would have been really interested, he would have thrown some sort of numbers at him or at least had a better conversation than what has been reported and said by Donovan. UK's next coach will be a dud I think personally. Barnhart knows how to pick a coach about like Tubby knew how to recruit.

He didn't say no one had made his agent an offer though. Donovan himself has acknowledged not talking to his agent while he was in Atlanta. That is if you believe all of this.

Donovan knew what was going on and knew about an offer, even if no one from UK personally mentioned it to him.
BCF4L Wrote:I'm sorry but I think this whole not getting Donovan thing is all Barnhart. Donovan mentioned in his press conference today that no offer was even made to him. IMO, Barnhart had someone else in mind all along, and wanted to make the fans of UK think he was trying to pursue Donovan which obviously wasn't the case. If Barnhart would have been really interested, he would have thrown some sort of numbers at him or at least had a better conversation than what has been reported and said by Donovan. UK's next coach will be a dud I think personally. Barnhart knows how to pick a coach about like Tubby knew how to recruit.

It really sounded to me like Barnhardt started the conversation with a query
as to Donovan's interest level, at which point Donovan said that his heart
was really at Florida. At that point, I don't think Barnhardt had much room
to maneuver.
Some interesting notes about Barnes that all the kiddies are gonna love:

Although Barnes has had great regular season success with 400+ wins and has transformed Texas into a one of the top college basketball programs in the nation, he has won only one post season conference tourney championship (Providence, 1994 Big East) in his 20 years as a collegiate head coach. Additionally, he has an overall losing record of 15-16 (.481) in the NCAA tournament (13-9 at Texas). In seven of his nine years at Texas, the Longhorns went on to lose to a lower seed in the NCAA Tournament.

BTW for those asking about Barnes' coaching history. He has coached at George Mason, Providence, Clemson and Texas.
didnt a coach from the NBA contact Uk a while back about wanting to coach?? i cant remember his name though
According to ESPN news Barnes is staying at Texas