Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: What is a search firm and why does Kentucky need one?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
http://cbs.sportsline.com/collegebasketb...10093707/2

I thought this article was pretty interesting. What does everyone think about this?
moofer Wrote:http://cbs.sportsline.com/collegebasketb...10093707/2

I thought this article was pretty interesting. What does everyone think about this?

I'm not really sure and I don't believe it either. I think the whole thing was intended as a joke and that was my take on it as well. Like Mitch would actually have trouble obtaining Billy D's number. I mean reallySmile. They don't provide any mention of how this information was obtained either. I assume the article is completely fictitious. I may be wrong. Maybe a someone on here that works in or close to media will have a better understanding.

As far as the article is concerned, all I can make of it is that the author is alleging that Mitch B hired the Parker Executive search organization/committee to help find a suitable replacement position for Tubby - that would entice him to leave on his on terms. Tubby leaving on his on terms meant UK would not be responsible to buy-out Tubby's remaining contract. Supposedly, since the 'Parker Executive search' saved UK 4 million dollars by helping Smith leave on his on terms UK has hired them again to help find a new coach. While Mitch doesn't really need them to help or assist in Tubbys replacement. Mitch just wants to be able to repay them in that sense. Does that make sense? Probably not! Didn't make much sense to me either!Smile

After writing about this it just sounds utterly ridiculous. But who knows?. I heard Billy D landed in Lexington today and him and Mitch were going to fly on up to Chicago for some lunch. Cool
I found a link to the Parker Executive Search. Their bandwidth has been exceeded. Smile
http://www.parkersearch.com/

A company that can't afford adequate hosting is helping lead the search of the soon to be highest paid college coach in the history of NCAA Basketball.
calQlate Wrote:I'm not really sure and I don't believe it either. I think the whole thing was intended as a joke and that was my take on it as well. Like Mitch would actually have trouble obtaining Billy D's number. I mean reallySmile. They don't provide any mentioned of how this information was obtained either. I assume the article is completely fictitious. I may be wrong. Maybe a someone on here that works in or close to media will have a better understanding.

As far as the article is concerned, all I can make of it is that the author is alleging that Mitch B hired the Parker Executive search organization/committee to help find a suitable replacement position for Tubby - that would entice him to leave on his on terms. Tubby leaving on his on terms meant UK would not be responsible to buy-out Tubby's remaining contract. Supposedly, since the 'Parker Executive search' saved UK 4 million dollars by helping Smith leave on his on terms UK has hired them again to help find a new coach. While Mitch doesn't really need them to help or assist in Tubbys replacement. Mitch just wants to be able to repay them in that sense. Does that make sense? Probably not! Didn't make much sense to me either!Smile

After writing about this it just sounds utterly ridiculous. But who knows?. I heard Billy D landed in Lexington today and him and Mitch were going to fly on up to Chicago for some lunch. Cool
I agree, I think its meant as a joke.
This could be bogus.
If I'm not mistaken, UK announced that Mitch Barnhart would be a search committee of one.
Parker confirmed that they have been hired by UK. http://www.kentucky.com/276/story/29099.html

This does scare me a little in thinking that Billy D might not be a lock down.
The hiring of this firm is a smoke screen and nothing else. This doesn't worry me at all. I would interested to see just how many other schools have hired this firm to just put up the front that they are using them as a resource for a legit search.
jammin' jamey Wrote:The hiring of this firm is a smoke screen and nothing else. This doesn't worry me at all. I would interested to see just how many other schools have hired this firm to just put up the front that they are using them as a resource for a legit search.

I agree. If Kentucky did hire a search committee it's nothing more than a distraction or at the very least a 'secretary staff" for MB, so he can concentrate/focus on getting the right man. My theory is that MB probably gave the search committee a list of candidates to contact and report back their interests level and/or setup interview times. No way would the search committee have any input on UKs next coach. Sounds like more of a support service if anything, if its even legit at all.
Parker's not a search committee -- it's what we call a corporate headhunter.

Big companies hire the headhunting firm to find "exactly the right person" for key jobs, saving said big companies a lot of headaches later. Headhunters get paid by the hiring company and not the new hire, so from a jobhunter's point of view they're great --- we get access to a fairly exclusive network, we get tips on resume prep and the interviewing process and we don't pay a dime. Big Grin

Assuming Parker has people who specialize in sports hires, this could mean some of you are in for a surprise.