Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: New Mexico reaches deal to hire Alford
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
New Mexico and Iowa coach Steve Alford have agreed to the final details of a contract and Alford will be introduced as the Lobos' new coach at a news conference Friday, multiple sources in both camps said Thursday morning.
Alford, who has been staying at his vacation home in Sarasota, Fla., this week, is expected to travel to Albuquerque to attend the news conference.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=2807516
So will Alford ever be able to create the same excited he stirred at SW Mizzo State and a Sweet 16 berth years ago? What makes him think he'll do better recruiting in NMX than at Iowa in the Big Ten? I heard this story earlier today and just thought it was kind of an odd move for Alford, although I see the connections NMX has with Bobby Knight and how that comes into play with Alford.
I think he left partly because it seemed that his days at Iowa were numbered with the lack of NCAA success and such. At New Mexico if they made the tournament on a consistant basis he would be deemed a success there. He may lead them to a few round of 16 appearances.
clipperw Wrote:I think he left partly because it seemed that his days at Iowa were numbered with the lack of NCAA success and such. At New Mexico if they made the tournament on a consistant basis he would be deemed a success there. He may lead them to a few round of 16 appearances.

I agree, he may have seen the writing on the wall.
Good luck to him.
good luck to him