Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Recruits bide time while Cats take stock
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
SMITH DEFENDS HIS RECORD ON RADIO CALL-IN SHOW

Kentucky fans are not the only people waiting to learn what emerges from Coach Tubby Smith's meeting with Athletics Director Mitch Barnhart about the basketball program's future.
The meeting interests UK's two main recruiting targets: power forward Patrick Patterson and point guard Jai Lucas. Neither expects to make his college choice until after next week's McDonald's All-American game in Louisville.
Decisions about UK basketball -- will Smith return? if so, will he bring in new assistants to improve recruiting? -- are "part of the reason to wait," Lucas said yesterday when asked about his college choice.
"You jump up and sign and then something happens, that's a big situation."
When asked how Smith's departure would affect his decision, Lucas said, "That would be big because he's the one that's been recruiting me since I was a sophomore."
On his final radio call-in show last night, Smith spoke with an authoritative voice about coaching Kentucky again next season. He only hesitated when host Tom Leach asked about staff changes.
"I anticipate," he said in beginning a response. Then he paused and changed direction. "But I'm not going to talk about it. This is not the forum to talk about it."
When asked who could make the decision on the staff, Smith said, "That's something done by me in conjunction with the administration."
UK spokesman Scott Stricklin said UK was not ready to comment.
Smith noted the "good nucleus" of players returning next season. But he acknowledged the importance that center Randolph Morris be one of those returnees. After UK lost to Kansas in the NCAA Tournament, Morris said he would explore his options of turning pro.
"It'll be tough if Randolph leaves," Smith said of the player who led UK in scoring (16.1 ppg), rebounding (7.8 rpg) and blocks (70).
The UK coach balked when a caller based a question on a "downward trend the last few years." He interrupted to say, "Last few years? Excuse me."
When the caller finished the question, Smith noted how Kentucky came within a double-overtime loss in the region finals of reaching the Final Four two years ago.
But the UK coach stressed the importance of recruiting for any college program and hinted at Kentucky's need to improve.
"We need to recruit the best players," he said. "That's the lifeblood of any program: recruiting. I'm always a better coach with better players. Maybe we need to change who we target in recruiting."
Thinly veiled references to Patterson and Lucas spiced the radio show.
Patterson, a 6-foot-8 player from Huntington, W.Va., and a top-15 national prospect, said last month that Smith's departure would impact his consideration of Kentucky. He also said he hoped to narrow his list of schools from six to three after his high school season. He led Huntington High to a third straight state championship last weekend. But his mother, Tywanna, said six schools remained on the list: UK, Florida, Duke, Wake Forest, Virginia and West Virginia. The narrowing might not happen until after the McDonald's All-American game.
The player's mother denied an Internet report that Patterson had committed to Florida. "Not true," she said.
Lucas, a top-50 player and the son of former college and NBA star John Lucas, is considering four schools: Kentucky, Maryland, Oklahoma and Oklahoma State.
Kentucky has signed two recruits: 6-8 forward A.J. Stewart of Jacksonville, Fla., and 6-11 Mike Williams of Alexandria, Va.
During his official visit on Big Blue Madness weekend, Stewart received assurance from Barnhart that Smith would remain coach, the player's high school coach said.
"The A.D. told him Coach Smith will be there as long as you're playing," Stewart's coach, Rex Morgan, said.
Williams' high school coach, Mark Vincent, dismissed speculation of Smith not being at Kentucky next season.

http://www.kentucky.com/269/story/22416.html
So Morris is exploring his options of going pro again? Get that asshole out of Kentucky. We don't need someone with his head in the clouds. Leave Randolph. You're not worth the trouble. Bring in Patterson!!!
Welcome to the Jared Carter era of UK hoops!! Hope you all enjoy.
UK needs to rethink how they recruit players. Tenessee did this a few years ago and have a competitive team. McDonalds all-americans stay in school 1 year and leave for the pros. You can build a team around these players. Tubby needs a different recruitment philosophy.
BCF4L Wrote:So Morris is exploring his options of going pro again? Get that asshole out of Kentucky. We don't need someone with his head in the clouds. Leave Randolph. You're not worth the trouble. Bring in Patterson!!!

We NEED Randolph Morris.
Let me rephrase that....we need the Randolph of late, we don't need the Randolph that is only concerned with going pro. In my opinion this is only going to hurt UK if he continues to only think about going pro.