Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: I got a Question.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Since all these Tubby haters are out here. Since duke lost double digit games this season, if Duke lost double digit games next year wouldnt you all say to fire Coach k? Since its the same way with Tubby, Tubby has had 2 bad years and yet you people think he's the worst coach you've seen.
2 bad years? hes lost in the 2nd round 3 of the last 4 years. coach k has won multiple national championships and this was the 1st time in 8 years that duke didnt make it to the sweet sixteen. real big difference there super de. if u want to take a look at all of tubbys great accomplishments then look at the "Tubby Smith breaking records" thread. you are very much not sane to compare tubby to kschscefski (sp?). i guess you dont know that the cats used to be a contender for the national championship year in and year out. that being said, what is wrong with UK right now, in your opinion?
Jesus Christ, Kentucky won 2 championships since 1967 and you think that there some great team. Tubby has won 1 championship and 5 sec tournys. Powerhouses from the past isnt going to win every single year like they used to. Look at Florida they are now a good team and has a good coach, a new team will eventually start there own dyansty.

Plus, you think that Kentuckys recruiting has been horrible since tubby, he has 2 bad years of recruiting also. Tubby cant run out there and make the players hit the shots can he?
Uk...SUPERFAN, THEY HAVE WON 3 National Championships since 1967!...1978/1996/1998.. No he cannot make them hit the shots and is exactly why I ask myself..WHY and HOW DID SHERAY THOMAS/BOBBY PERRY/ORBZUT/CARTER GET RECRUITED TO UK..HELL EVEN A D-1 SCHOOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
PLAYBOY5 Wrote:Uk...SUPERFAN, THEY HAVE WON 3 National Championships since 1967!...1978/1996/1998.. No he cannot make them hit the shots and is exactly why I ask myself..WHY and HOW DID SHERAY THOMAS/BOBBY PERRY/ORBZUT/CARTER GET RECRUITED TO UK..HELL EVEN A D-1 SCHOOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Your argument against Perry doesn't hold much water anymore. He finished the season very strong and looked like he could play for anybody. Carter had offers from the likes of UNC along with UK. So again. Not a strong argument.
As 99% of BGR members feels about yours with Tubby! But hey, you will always have 1 member agree with you!
first off, ucla won it in 67 but nice try tho. but its actually 3 since '67 and they were in '78, '96, and '98. how does the most wins in ncaa history, most tournament appearences, most wins in tournament history and 2nd most titles in ncaa history sound to ya??? yeah that might just make some of us THINK that uk is a great team, the best ever. uk used to be a powerhouse but i geuss u didnt know that did ya? it used to be florida and those teams lookin up to us. you are no fan if you are content with sitting back and watching the florida gators out of all teams build a dynasty. so yes they are a great team and no you are not a fan. u should move to gainsville. but hey, thanks for playin

by the way... when was the lst time uk went to a final four? know what ur talkin about before u say somethin u know nothin about there super_gator
Super_de Wrote:Jesus Christ, Kentucky won 2 championships since 1967 and you think that there some great team. Tubby has won 1 championship and 5 sec tournys. Powerhouses from the past isnt going to win every single year like they used to. Look at Florida they are now a good team and has a good coach, a new team will eventually start there own dyansty.

Plus, you think that Kentuckys recruiting has been horrible since tubby, he has 2 bad years of recruiting also. Tubby cant run out there and make the players hit the shots can he?
Hey pal How many national titles does Florida have in Basketball? Kentucky has 7
Oh and BTW we have more All American's than ALL SEC Teams Combined.
alfus21 Wrote:Your argument against Perry doesn't hold much water anymore. He finished the season very strong and looked like he could play for anybody. Carter had offers from the likes of UNC along with UK. So again. Not a strong argument.
yes it is a good arguement. Both players might have been looked at but are they quality? Perry was a bust. WOW he has 3 good games to finish off the year! where has he been before that???? he has been missing wide open shots, throwing the ball away and playing like he doesn't belong. Cater??? please. he is tall and thats about it, thus far.
Thank You Amun-Ru!
I don't understand the recruiting problems really. I mean aren't there 3 High School All-Americans in the Sophomore class right now? You can only bring in so many star players. Yes, he missed Lofton in that class, but IMO, he would not have gotten playing time over those that are on the team so his skills would not have been seen.

I mean getting some of the top players in the nation doesn't seem like a recruiting failure. But then again.....
Amun-Ra Wrote:yes it is a good arguement. Both players might have been looked at but are they quality? Perry was a bust. WOW he has 3 good games to finish off the year! where has he been before that???? he has been missing wide open shots, throwing the ball away and playing like he doesn't belong. Cater??? please. he is tall and thats about it, thus far.

No, it's not a good argument. Bobby Perry showcased his skills on the biggest stage in sports today for TWO years in a row, i dont care who you are, the guy is clutch. We have seen maybe 20 minutes of Jared Carter in TWO years and you automatically assume he is garbage and doesnt deserve to be here. You guys are ridiculous. Acie Law IV was garbage his first two years at A&M, but im sure you guys dont watch enough basketball to understand that players actually DO improve...
Ah yes improvement. It does happen. everyone doesn't come in a star, but a lot of times some of those guys do leave great college basketball players.
corndog23 Wrote:No, it's not a good argument. Bobby Perry showcased his skills on the biggest stage in sports today for TWO years in a row, i dont care who you are, the guy is clutch. We have seen maybe 20 minutes of Jared Carter in TWO years and you automatically assume he is garbage and doesnt deserve to be here. You guys are ridiculous. Acie Law IV was garbage his first two years at A&M, but im sure you guys dont watch enough basketball to understand that players actually DO improve...

Are you, Corndog, suggesting that Bobby Perry
belongs in the same conversation with Julian
Wright, with Rashaun Terry, with Cory Brewer?
The talent level at UK is DOWN, DOWN, DOWN.
Tennessee has four freshman in their top 8...
they are in the Sweet 16. In the elite six
or seven programs, freshman and sophomores are
playing big minutes and winning. UK is no longer
in the talent pool of those six or seven programs.
If you cannot see this, then you may watch a lot
of basketball, but you cannot evaluate talent.
First Of All Bobby Perry Has Played Great His Senior Year......came In As A Freshman.....not Too Good But Has Built Since Then And He Is Leaving As A Great Player.......tubby's Recruiting Is Not Awful.....if No One Remembers We Had 3 All Americans That Signed With Us In 2004...including Rajon Rondo,randolph Morris And Joe Crawford......morris And Crawford Was Both Top 10 All American Recruits.....you Can Not Expect Uk To Be A Powerhouse Every Year......it Just Dont Happen Like That.......other Teams Are Making Dynasty's And Uk Has Had 2 Bad Years....so U Just Want To Throw Tubby Out??????i Dont Think So...not Gonna Happen......uk Has An Ok Recruiting Class Coming In Next Year....and I See This Uk Team Being A 3 Or 4 Seed In The Ncaa Tourney Next Year.......for One Reason Because Tubby Will Still Be Here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
14thregionallstate Wrote:First Of All Bobby Perry Has Played Great His Senior Year......came In As A Freshman.....not Too Good But Has Built Since Then And He Is Leaving As A Great Player.......tubby's Recruiting Is Not Awful.....if No One Remembers We Had 3 All Americans That Signed With Us In 2004...including Rajon Rondo,randolph Morris And Joe Crawford......morris And Crawford Was Both Top 10 All American Recruits.....you Can Not Expect Uk To Be A Powerhouse Every Year......it Just Dont Happen Like That.......other Teams Are Making Dynasty's And Uk Has Had 2 Bad Years....so U Just Want To Throw Tubby Out??????i Dont Think So...not Gonna Happen......uk Has An Ok Recruiting Class Coming In Next Year....and I See This Uk Team Being A 3 Or 4 Seed In The Ncaa Tourney Next Year.......for One Reason Because Tubby Will Still Be Here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Of course, no commentator on college basketball
refers to Bobby Perry as a "great player." Of
course, Rajon Rondo could not shoot. Of course,
Joe Crawford has little quickness. Of course,
"it just don't happen like that"... need I
say more?
thecavemaster Wrote:Of course, no commentator on college basketball
refers to Bobby Perry as a "great player." Of
course, Rajon Rondo could not shoot. Of course,
Joe Crawford has little quickness. Of course,
"it just don't happen like that"... need I
say more?

Yes, i have head several commentators refer to Bobby Perry as a great player
You know what is sad? Im starting to hate most Kentucky fans more than i am Duke, and Florida fans. Because most UK fans just want to ramble on about how a 10 loss season is aweful, and how our coach sucks, and how our players suck.
UK fans and Yankee fans are the most spoiled bunch of people in the country. 99% of them don't have a clue what they are talking about. It is best to just ignore them.
the players dont suck tubby just dont know how to coach them. and a 10 loss season is awful by UKs standards what dont u understand about that? why can u not understand that uk is the greatest prgram in ncaa history and it hurts us to see them playing like they are. im glad that you like 10 loss seasons and second round losses. im glad you like to see tubby not be able to coach good players. in kentucky we dont care about other dynastys. we dont care if other teams ate building dynastys because we are the only team that matters to us. i wish you had common sense. tubby is not getting the job done.
I love how people think Tubby Smith can't coach. The problem with Tubby Smith is that he is not Rick Pitino. Now people want some cheap Pitino clone like Calapari or Donovan. Tubby has maintained a standered that has kept UK at the top of college basketball until the last couple of years. One down cycle and the people that have never accepted him are calling for his head again. If it wasn't sad it would be funny.
Everybody wants to call coach "Ten-Loss" Tubby...What about 14-consecutive 20 win seasons between Tulsa, Georgia and Kentucky?
jammin' jamey Wrote:Everybody wants to call coach "Ten-Loss" Tubby...What about 14-consecutive 20 win seasons between Tulsa, Georgia and Kentucky?

If I recall correctly, they said there were over 100 Division I basketball teams who won over 20 games this season. 20 wins just isn't what it used to be. 25 wins is closer to the standard needed nowadays. With the addition of so many tournaments, teams are playing 30-32 games in the regular season on average. Winning 2/3 of your games just isn't enough even if you get a 20 win season. 4/5 to 5/6 is more appropriate for an elite program.
Tomcat68 Wrote:If I recall correctly, they said there were over 100 Division I basketball teams who won over 20 games this season. 20 wins just isn't what it used to be. 25 wins is closer to the standard needed nowadays. With the addition of so many tournaments, teams are playing 30-32 games in the regular season on average. Winning 2/3 of your games just isn't enough even if you get a 20 win season. 4/5 to 5/6 is more appropriate for an elite program.

That's true. But how many of those programs have won 20 plus games for the last 14 consecutive years? Better yet, how many coaches have won 20 plus games during that same span? Duke hasn't done it (12 consecutive years of 20+ wins) and North Carolina hasn't.

One season of multiple teams achieving 20 wins isn't a measuring stick to me.
FBALL Wrote:UK fans and Yankee fans are the most spoiled bunch of people in the country. 99% of them don't have a clue what they are talking about. It is best to just ignore them.

Why is it when someone doesn't agree with you that you
immediately say they don't know what they are talking
about? True enough, Yankee fans and Kentucky
fans expect excellence, as do North Carolina fans,
where Matt Dougherty was shown the door to bring
in Roy Williams. Of course, North Carolina fans
are spoiled too...and when powers that be sensed
Dougherty was letting the program slip, they did
not wait. Now look at North Carolina's talent
pool. Yes, yes...ignore reality, stick your head
in the sand...stick in your thumb and pull out a
plumb and say, "What a good boy am I."
moofer Wrote:Yes, i have head several commentators refer to Bobby Perry as a great player

Uh...Pee Wee Herman does not count
as an authentic college basketball
commentator...
thecavemaster Wrote:Why is it when someone doesn't agree with you that you
immediately say they don't know what they are talking
about? True enough, Yankee fans and Kentucky
fans expect excellence, as do North Carolina fans,
where Matt Dougherty was shown the door to bring
in Roy Williams. Of course, North Carolina fans
are spoiled too...and when powers that be sensed
Dougherty was letting the program slip, they did
not wait. Now look at North Carolina's talent
pool. Yes, yes...ignore reality, stick your head
in the sand...stick in your thumb and pull out a
plumb and say, "What a good boy am I."

How long had Doherty been at UNC before being let go, 3 years? I don't think UNC had near the investment in Doherty that UK has in Tubby. It was gonna take someone like Roy Williams or Larry Brown to be accepted by UNC fans & alumni after Dean Smith called it quits. D. Smith arranged for Guthridge to take over since he had been Smith's assistant for ages and they wanted Williams before they hired Doherty if I remember correctly.
Guys we are going to have another weak class coming in this year. Face the facts we are not getting Lucas or Patterson. Stewart may turn out to be decent and I dont think Williams will be a factor at all (another orbzut). Even if these guys are decent Tubby wont play them (just like stevenson and harris). I really think Stevenson could've been a Brandan Wright or something like him but Tubby wouldnt play him even though he had 7 blocks in his first game. But I look forward to another 10 loss season next year.
golfman42 Wrote:Even if these guys are decent Tubby wont play them (just like stevenson and harris).

I not disagreeing with you over weak recruiting classes but what makes Stevenson or Harris any better than anyone else Tubby has recruited recently? Would you have played Harris over Crawford/Bradley/Meeks? Would you have played Stevenson over Perry/Thomas in crucial situations?
I just don't see a lot of UK players improving much over their careers anymore. Crawford & Bradley have regressed from their freshmen years. Stevenson has raw talent but he still looked lost at the end of the season & didn't play much. Who has any idea if Carter will ever pan out, we've seen so little of him. Las year Sims looked impressive in some games before SEC play, got in the doghouse, & was never seen again. The days of watching guys like Fitch & Daniels improve to become really good college players seem to be over at UK.
Pages: 1 2