Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Is Dancing a Sport? (as in Dance Teams' dancing)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I saw a thread about cheerleading being a sport, so I thought I'd ask the same about dance teams in a different thread.

Thoughts?
To me dancing is definitely a sport. Those athletes work just as hard as anyone else!
sport [Image: premium.gif] [Image: thinsp.png][Image: speaker.gif] /spɔrt, spoʊrt/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[spawrt, spohrt] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation

–noun 1.an athletic activity requiring skill or physical prowess and often of a competitive nature
After seeing how hard Phelps dance team works.... WITHOUT A DOUBT.... It's a sport!!!
I totally agree...Dancing is a sport! Dance Teams work as hard or harder than any body in any other sport!!
If cheerleading is then dance is.
in my opinion- maybe... I haven't seen many dance teams though! They probably work just as hard as cheerleaders but definatly not harder!! They do deserve their credit though.
If golf is a sport dancing is sport... and I also believe that an "all-around" dancer does work harder than a cheerleader... there are so many more facets to being a dancer. With cheerleading its gymnastics, with dance it can be tap, jazz, ballet, hip-hop... and someone with all these capabilities (allbeit is hard to find around here) I would consider harder working than a cheerleader just for the simple fact they have to do so much more. And for those of you getting ready to say that gymnastics is hard... yes it is... but I can do a handspring, but I cannot do turns in second... and not many cheerleaders can... there are exceptions though... cheering is something you can learn to be, being a GOOD ALL-AROUND dancer is a gift... a lot of people pose as dancers too and you can tell the goods ones from the inferior
I think all sports have a situation to overcome in order to win... who runs the fastest, swims the fastest, scores the most points... you know where I coming from. If you conform to the rules of competition, then dancing dancing is a sport. A good example of this would be ballroom dancing or ice skating. However, IMO I think jazz, tap and ballet would be considered forms of art.

So, I suppose if your dancing for the public as entertainment....it's art. If you conform to the rules of competition....it's a sport.
well ,it must be a sport because Phelps dance team was induced into the pike county schools HALL OF FAME July 31 07 , and they were already in it once before in 2005, they are the only dance team in it.,
yes i agree that dancing is a sport. but i wouldnt say it was "harder" than cheerleading. It basicly depends on who you are. However in cheerleading there isnt just gymnastics. There is technique to gymnastics, motion sharpness, formations, jumps, & stunting. You mentioned different categories in dance...there are also different categories in cheer. In KAPOS competitions you have Large, Medium, Small, Traditional, & Coed. In allstar cheer competitions you have mini, peewee, youth, junior, large, senior, coed. so on & so forth. In allstar cheer you also have level. such as..."Large Senior Coed Level 3". As you see its not that easy to say which sport is more difficult.
thepharmacist Wrote:I think all sports have a situation to overcome in order to win... who runs the fastest, swims the fastest, scores the most points... you know where I coming from. If you conform to the rules of competition, then dancing dancing is a sport. A good example of this would be ballroom dancing or ice skating. However, IMO I think jazz, tap and ballet would be considered forms of art.

So, I suppose if your dancing for the public as entertainment....it's art. If you conform to the rules of competition....it's a sport.

According to a report by Enoch May, Jr. from ESPN.com... today's new-age generation defines a sport as an athletic event that "has a scoreboard"...... so cheerleading and dancing are not officially sports until they start keeping score for the public to view during the event! Also, in the report cheerleading lost some credit because they face away from the football field during most of the game. Hmmm..very interesting, something to think about, go figure??
I think dancing is definitely a sport. I mean dance teams practice, travel, perform, and compete. Even though the score is shown for everyone to see, it is still a hard working sport. The judges keep the scores hidden to make the winner a surprise. Then again, some competitions will announce the team's overall score.

And the reason cheerleaders face the crowd instead of the field in some cases, is so that the crowd can hear what they are saying and cheer along with them. =D That's my opinion on that
This is a losing battle. There are always going to be those there to argue that dance and cheerleading aren't sports. But, unless you have actually participated in either one, you really don't have a place to say anything. I was a cheerleader from 3rd grade until I graduated from high school, and I know most of the people from my high school would agree that both us and the dance team worked our butts off EVERY day. I know we were definitely considered to be a "sports" team at my school.
Dancing is a sport & I think that KHSAA should recognize it as such.
Blackcat Flash Wrote:Dancing is a sport & I think that KHSAA should recognize it as such.

I love the way you think! Dancers do not get much recognization, if any at all. At my school anyway.
MyOwnCinderellaStory Wrote:i love the way you think! dancers do not get much recognization, if any at all. at my school, anyway.

No they really don't, but dancing used to be the cool thing to do at Valley, now it's kind of shoved to the back burner.
Blackcat Flash Wrote:Dancing is a sport & I think that KHSAA should recognize it as such.

Well, take a number and get in line. The KHSAA will never recognize cheer or dance as the Sports they are. Why? Because it would totally foul up Title IX and heaven knows we can't tilt that windmill... they've got it just the way they want it.... their way!

BUt to answer your question.... yes, dance and cheer are sports. I'd love to put any athlete, male or female, into a great cheer or dance program's work regime... then poll them for their thoughts on this subject.. no wait... let's put all those KHSAA folks out there to a good practice schedule for a month and poll them!Wink :p Smile :rockon:
Some of the guys who cheer on Co-ed squads will tell you when practicing for a competition that practice on a cheer squad is as hard as any football or basketball practice they have ever been too!! LOLOL.... IMO all the lifting, tumbling, running, stretching, pulled muscles, bruises, broken noses, twisted ankles, and sore muscles is worth EVERY minute of it!!!
I think dancing is a sport...In order to be a dancer your legs have to be in tip top shape. Not just anyone can be a dancer. Im not just saying this because I am a dancer but because I am I know how it is and how hard it is to be a dancer!!! I think if cheerleading is a sport then dancing deffinately is!!!
Actually this is the first year Kentucky is considering dance a sport...now it is a part of the KHSAA...each region had a champ in hip-hop, open, and pom and one grand champion...it is kind like KAPOS. Magoffin was grand champs in everything the competed in pom and open and Grand Champs...so there is an official state comp. March 8th in Henderson Co.
Sure.
I think Dancing Is definately a sport!!! They work just as hard to entertain the crowd as cheerleaders do!!!
i think so.

sheldon clark is starting a dance team!
Nice! congrats to SC
Dancing is an athletic event. I still don't consider anything that requires judges to decide the winner a sport.

This partly includes boxing, diving, gymnastics, figure skating.
If there was a way to decide the winner without judges, then I would gladly call it a sport.
No and neither is cheerleading. Gymnastics yes though.
Dancing is most definately a sport. I'm a dancer myself (for Phelps) and we take a lot of our time and we dedicate ourselves as much as any other athlete in a sport. Dancing should be considered a sport, especially how it is so competitive in our area and region.