Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Cheerleading And Injuries
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have talked to several "used to be" cheerleaders
in the past couple of weeks. These women were
on the cutting edge when cheerleading shifted to
more tumbling and the like. They have chronic knee
pain and ankle trouble and other aches and pains
associated with lifting. I know mats are used in
practice, but does all the lifting and tumbling create
chronic pain and injury in the long run?
my daughter is a cheerleader she is 16 she has cheered for all her life. she has a knee injury she now has a tear in her knee. she constantly has knee, ankle, wrist pain. what really makes me mad is the coach thinks she knows than the doctors does every time certain ones are injured she rolls her eyes like she thinks there is nothing wrong my daughter has cheered all year with the same injury because she did not want to let the squad down. then when she could not take it anymore and i take it her to the doctor the coach got mad because she wanted to win the district trophy. but it did not really matter because they were going to make sure that the girls were going win. i am a parent of a PC cheerleader and she was on the sideline during the games but we were there to watch the games and the cheerleaders and i am almost positive that the place it was held had something to do with who got the first place trophy. but to get back on subject i think that the coaches need to pay a little more attention to what is going with the girls injury especially when the girls already have injury and they know about. its not only my daughter another cheerleader had a back injury her leg was going numb from it and had to leave the game early to go to the ER the coach rolled her eyes as if to say there is nothing wrong. well the cheerleader is now out and is possibly going to have to have back surgery. but i think a lot of the injuries could be prevented if coach did not wait till the last minute to get their rountines together. but oh well i guess some squads have great coaches and some just have want to be coaches.
I agree with you that the coach or other cheerleaders or parents shouldn't just assume that the cheerleader is doing it for attention. Since thats what we all get accused of! Well, no one is going to diagnose me unless I see a medical degree. And I'm pretty sure there are very few coaches/parents/cheerleaders with one of those.

Cheerleading is a dangerous sport and sometimes the coaches and other cheerleaders need to realize that injuries happen, no matter how much you want to win or how much you dislike that cheerleader. And I'm not just talking about my school. This happens everywhere. It's a shame how many serious injuries could have been prevented from those small aches and pains that people choose to ignore!
yeah you get injury's but no matter what if you love cheerleading then you wolnt quit you will get back on that horse and try again!!
yeah ya get alot in cheerleading
:Cheerlead Cheerleading is an extremely dangerous sport. However, I feel you have too many coaches that have no clue what they are doing. A lot of injuries are caused by ignorance. Girls lifting girls that have never lifted before and backspots that have never done anything like this before. When girls are new to the sport there is so much to learn before you put a mount up. There are correct techniques and procedures, you work your way up. You don't just say okay this is what we're going to do and hope for the best. I love cheerleaders and they work hard at what they do with little recoginition. Be safe girls!!
Cheerleading is harder on your body than any sport that you can play. Your body will feel it for the rest of your life.
I agree
Yeah you get injuries no matter what, the beginning of the season I twisted my ankle doing a tuck and was out for 2 weeks but you know what now my tuck is better than ever and it still hurts but I don't complain. I just wrap it up and flip.. if you love it you'll never quit.