Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Why did your team cancel their game?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Lets here why your team canceled a game with another team.
Safe to say this thread will be empty.
Cardfan1 Wrote:Safe to say this thread will be empty.

Come on, already been 12 reported "Canceled" games this year. Gotta be a reason.
Pitiful ! 9 out of 10 times because they know they have no chance
Some schools don't have enough to files a team I would guessed
You still get points for playing even if you lose do t you
I had a team cancel on me cause they said they had team mutiny because they had to run.

Couple jcps teams have cancelled on each other due to not having helmets back from reconditioning (couple new teams that haven't played in years)
Shouldn't they have to report that to the middle school commissioner? Why not have set districts/conferences and sign contracts to discourage these things. Middle School has become a free for all, I'm happy the KHSAA has taken over but lets hire the man power to be able to do things right.
DDP5 Wrote:Shouldn't they have to report that to the middle school commissioner? Why not have set districts/conferences and sign contracts to discourage these things. Middle School has become a free for all, I'm happy the KHSAA has taken over but lets hire the man power to be able to do things right.

Actually there are contracts out on the KHSAA site to use for MS games. Schools dont use them because the KHSAA wont honor them. (IE apply and penalties for breaking a contract.)
My opinion is you start to early, there shouldn't be a game untill2 weeks after the last school starts. Let's face it there is a lot of middle schoolers who are not going to come out until School starts. I had girls and we didn't have this problem until late in the season after everyone figured out who the better teams was. We tried to get around this by trying schedule team late that we knew we could count on.
insideinfo Wrote:My opinion is you start to early, there shouldn't be a game untill2 weeks after the last school starts. Let's face it there is a lot of middle schoolers who are not going to come out until School starts. I had girls and we didn't have this problem until late in the season after everyone figured out who the better teams was. We tried to get around this by trying schedule team late that we knew we could count on.

Last School to my knowledge starts the Tuesday after Labor day, so mid September start date is ok with you?

Im fine with it, if you then move basketball back to starting around Dec 15th or so.
Any time you cancel or forfeit a game you should have to take a loss for that game! Also if you cancel or forfeit more than once in a year you should be suspended from Post season play.
I'd like to see the KYMSFA form a scheduling committee to make the schedules for each team in the middle school football Association. That way these Coaches can't pick and choose who the want and don't want to play! It would take a lot of time and effort the first year to get it started but after that it should be less complicated. Schedules should come out at the beginning of the summer so if their was any type of conflict you would have time to fix it.
Devil's advocate:

We have to remember middle school has a huge amount of turnover at the head coach position and generally admisistrators have little involvement in scheduling and the program.

Things can be a real mess if you take over late in the summer.
Mustang Jax Wrote:I'd like to see the KYMSFA form a scheduling committee to make the schedules for each team in the middle school football Association. That way these Coaches can't pick and choose who the want and don't want to play! It would take a lot of time and effort the first year to get it started but after that it should be less complicated. Schedules should come out at the beginning of the summer so if their was any type of conflict you would have time to fix it.

Let me get this right. You want to get a committee that will make a 10 game schedule for 100 schools. 😳🙄
footballfever Wrote:Let me get this right. You want to get a committee that will make a 10 game schedule for 100 schools. 😳🙄

Yes ,plus it would take a lot of pressure off coaches having to find games to fill a schedule. It can be done,it wouldn't be that hard to do!
Mustang Jax Wrote:Yes ,plus it would take a lot of pressure off coaches having to find games to fill a schedule. It can be done,it wouldn't be that hard to do!

I would say it's a lot easier for coaches to honor games that they have scheduled.
Mustang Jax Wrote:Yes ,plus it would take a lot of pressure off coaches having to find games to fill a schedule. It can be done,it wouldn't be that hard to do!

Run with that. BGR where I go to feel intelligent!😎
Mustang Jax Wrote:I'd like to see the KYMSFA form a scheduling committee to make the schedules for each team in the middle school football Association. That way these Coaches can't pick and choose who the want and don't want to play! It would take a lot of time and effort the first year to get it started but after that it should be less complicated. Schedules should come out at the beginning of the summer so if their was any type of conflict you would have time to fix it.

Isnt this what we do for the playoffs? Too many logistical challenges to do that for regular season. You should see what we go through just to get playoff games to happen.
footballfever Wrote:Let me get this right. You want to get a committee that will make a 10 game schedule for 100 schools. 😳🙄

I dont think they pay me enough for that, lol.

Hey Jax, if every team was involved, having districts, would easy some of the scheduling issues like it does with HS and perhaps it is something that could be carried out in some manner, maybe 6 of the 10 games or something like that.

I like the out of the box thinking though!
CoachNM0523 Wrote:I would say it's a lot easier for coaches to honor games that they have scheduled.

One cancelation this year the principal was mad as hell, kinda came after me about it. The team that canceled was a non KYMSFA team, they had cancelled on them the last 3 years in a row, they didnt sign a contract.

Why would you schedule this team in the first place.
If I agree to a game and then a team backs out, I will NOT schedule them again in future and if I'm lucky enough to see them in playoffs then I make sure they don't wanna play again.
Middle school football dynamics change drastically from year to year. Having a master scheduler attempt to schedule games for 100+ school across three divisions while keeping the games competitive would be extremely difficult. And that neglects issues such as field avalibility, transportation costs/ availability, etc, etc. as difficult as it is to fill one's schedule, I prefer the autonomy. And the teams that have an interest in competing for a state title schedule the majority of their games against teams that offer them a challenge, making them a better team each week.
plantmanky Wrote:Hey Jax, if every team was involved, having districts, would easy some of the scheduling issues like it does with HS and perhaps it is something that could be carried out in some manner, maybe 6 of the 10 games or something like that.

I like the out of the box thinking though!

Have we we thought about taking the regular s and putting them in districts?
Cardfan1 Wrote:Have we we thought about taking the regular s and putting them in districts?

Yes to some extent, we have an old districts format that was considered to be used many years ago if we ever got most of the state involved. It would make certain teams have to play each other in regular season to win their district in order to be in the playoffs. All districts were 4 teams I believe, this was before we went to 3 divisions for 8th grade.
I think the best idea would be to penalize teams that cancel games by taking away a certain amount of points.
plantmanky Wrote:One cancelation this year the principal was mad as hell, kinda came after me about it. The team that canceled was a non KYMSFA team, they had cancelled on them the last 3 years in a row, they didnt sign a contract.

Why would you schedule this team in the first place.

Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me. Fool me three times... who knows. Lol
Well I hate to get this started again, but look how the teams in the kymsfa did Corbin and I believe northern Pulaski. They up and started a new conference and left Corbin setting without a full schedule. The only way to totally control it is to force all team in kymsfa to a conference within a 100 mile radius, then penalize them for canceling, but the kymsfa can't control a no show if they are not in the system. So coaches don't schedule with teams not involved with kymsfa. Corbin has filled there schedule and have traveled two hours away to play Bowling Green, and almost two hours to play Scott county, also had to pick up some games against Tn teams that they won't even get points for, but they are not avoiding competition like the teams that started new conference and left them out. Hopefully come playoff time we get a shot at a couple teams that screwed us over. Go Hounds
Actually I believe you can get points for out of state teams. Just have to let the people
Involved knownso they can find the school size.

I.E. the Battle for the Bridges bowl that happened pitted KY vs IN teams.
Pages: 1 2