Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: South KY Football Conference History
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
After reading information on the other tread i decide to talk with many of my buddies who have been around middle school sports in this area and get some facts. back in mid 1990s a conference was started by Principals (not Coaches) South Central KY Athletic Conference was a total sports conference of the following schools. Rockcastle, N. Laurel, S. laurel, Corbin, S. Pulaski, N. Pulaski, Wayne co. Meece played in the conference. in early 2000's Wayne, S. pulaski, N. pulaski and Rockcastle pulled out ( not for sure at same time)Ended the SCKAC. 2005 S. Pulaski, Clinton, McCreary, Casey formed Big South Fork conference. Corbin, Meece and the Laurels picked up Clay.( Whitley may have been in for a year ,but got kicked out. NOT FOR SURE) started a football conference. Rockcastle joined the Madison Co. conference. 2006 northern joined the big South fork conference. 2007 Clinton co. and Casey Dropped out of the BSF conference and Wayne joined. Casey went to the Big Sandy. Around 2011 Wayne and McCreary dropped out of the BSF. formed a hwy 90 conference that lasted a year or 2. N. Pulaski, S.Pulaski, Bell Co. Knox Co. Whitley Co. formed the South Ky Elite Football conference. New Harlan may have been a part of it for a year. 2014 Bell Dropped out of conference. 2017 Whitley and S. Pulaski moved to the New Cumberland Valley Conference joining N. Laurel, S.Laurel and clay. Disclaimer: All these facts may not be perfect but what they show conference have changed for the past 20 years in this area and never until now it was a conspiracy.
Now that's over i also found out Southern Pulaski is still playing Northern Pulaski and Corbin. the biggest reason for their switch was New Coaching Staff, New conference, New Start. So if they and clay are still on Corbin Schedule, then Corbin lost 2 games which would leave them 8 and sure they will pick them up. Meece also only lost 2 games if clay is still playing them and they didn't like playing conference championship games anyway. So they still qualify if they don't pick up any more games. I keep trying to figure out how these powerhouses lost 4 games off schedule to keep them from playing in kymsfa play-offs by the new conference forming. Northern still has their games so why were they included in your BS and they are a True Powerhouse. Corbin 7th grade was good last year, but Meece wasn't and knox doesn't play a true 7th grade schedule, both lost 7th grade games to your "cupcakes"
All arguments aside, I remember playing in the old sckac. It was an awesome conference. Meece, southern, rockcastle, and Corbin all had really good teams. North, south, northern Pulaski and Wayne were also pretty good. If the kymsfa existed back then, five or six of those teams would've made the playoffs and a couple probably would've won state.
4 pete's sake Wrote:After reading information on the other tread i decide to talk with many of my buddies who have been around middle school sports in this area and get some facts. back in mid 1990s a conference was started by Principals (not Coaches) South Central KY Athletic Conference was a total sports conference of the following schools. Rockcastle, N. Laurel, S. laurel, Corbin, S. Pulaski, N. Pulaski, Wayne co. Meece played in the conference. in early 2000's Wayne, S. pulaski, N. pulaski and Rockcastle pulled out ( not for sure at same time)Ended the SCKAC. 2005 S. Pulaski, Clinton, McCreary, Casey formed Big South Fork conference. Corbin, Meece and the Laurels picked up Clay.( Whitley may have been in for a year ,but got kicked out. NOT FOR SURE) started a football conference. Rockcastle joined the Madison Co. conference. 2006 northern joined the big South fork conference. 2007 Clinton co. and Casey Dropped out of the BSF conference and Wayne joined. Casey went to the Big Sandy. Around 2011 Wayne and McCreary dropped out of the BSF. formed a hwy 90 conference that lasted a year or 2. N. Pulaski, S.Pulaski, Bell Co. Knox Co. Whitley Co. formed the South Ky Elite Football conference. New Harlan may have been a part of it for a year. 2014 Bell Dropped out of conference. 2017 Whitley and S. Pulaski moved to the New Cumberland Valley Conference joining N. Laurel, S.Laurel and clay. Disclaimer: All these facts may not be perfect but what they show conference have changed for the past 20 years in this area and never until now it was a conspiracy.

Back in the 90's all the way up threw the mid 00's Whitley played in a conference with Bell, Knox North, Knox South, Harlan, Middlesboro, and one or two others. That was a great conference with a lot of good football. If I remember correctly, Whitley won it most years, but teams like Harlan and Mboro, and Bell each won a couple titles.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:Back in the 90's all the way up threw the mid 00's Whitley played in a conference with Bell, Knox North, Knox South, Harlan, Middlesboro, and one or two others. That was a great conference with a lot of good football. If I remember correctly, Whitley won it most years, but teams like Harlan and Mboro, and Bell each won a couple titles.

Every time Corbin would have won it had it not been a cupcake conference. This all boils down to silly coach wanting to increase odds his sons eight grade season will win. Conference since Corbin and Meece won't be in it. Per Whitley parents.
Bossdaddy Wrote:Every time Corbin would have won it had it not been a cupcake conference. This all boils down to silly coach wanting to increase odds his sons eight grade season will win. Conference since Corbin and Meece won't be in it. Per Whitley parents.

who is the coach
Bryant
Bossdaddy Wrote:Every time Corbin would have won it had it not been a cupcake conference. This all boils down to silly coach wanting to increase odds his sons eight grade season will win. Conference since Corbin and Meece won't be in it. Per Whitley parents.

This has nothing to do with what I said.

I was talking about middle school football from 20 years ago.
It doesn't surprise me that Whitley has bowed out. That middle school program has went to the toilet since Fox quit years ago.
Gets worse every year.
And FYI the only time I played corbin in football was a 64 to 0 beating we put on them in middle school back in the 90s
Correct me if I am wrong......

Didn't Whitley play for a state championship like 5 or six years ago at Lex Cath? Doesn't Coach Bryant play a challenging, full schedule every year? Doesn't Coach Bryant work closely with the HS coach and send good players over every year? I'm confident the Dave Bryant is a good coach who runs the program at a high level and produces solid kids for the HS to develop further.
I remember Whitley playing Clay at home. Leading by 4 with less than a minute to go in the game. Colonels had the ball and needed 4 yards on 3rd down, didn't get it and elected to go for it on 4th down from inside their own 20 with less than 30 seconds left. Lost yards, Clay scored and won the game because the coach was not one who believed in punting.........and it wasn't Dave Bryant. Guess that 4/4 blood and guts blitz every play no read defense didn't work that time. Just saying.....So lets not be too hard on old Dave Bryant, he is teaching football.
Dietpepsidrinker Wrote:I remember Whitley playing Clay at home. Leading by 4 with less than a minute to go in the game. Colonels had the ball and needed 4 yards on 3rd down, didn't get it and elected to go for it on 4th down from inside their own 20 with less than 30 seconds left. Lost yards, Clay scored and won the game because the coach was not one who believed in punting.........and it wasn't Dave Bryant. Guess that 4/4 blood and guts blitz every play no read defense didn't work that time. Just saying.....So lets not be too hard on old Dave Bryant, he is teaching football.

From what's been said on here, he's only teaching football to 13 players in 7th grade.
If that's the case don't you agree it's time for a change. When have the middle school numbers ever been that low?

What?
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:From what's been said on here, he's only teaching football to 13 players in 7th grade.
If that's the case don't you agree it's time for a change. When have the middle school numbers ever been that low?

Not necessarily, what is the class size for that grade. My wife teaches at in a 2A HS district and one of her elementary grades only has 23 students in it male and female. Gonna be a small class all the way through.

Granted I get Whitley is a 5A school so not an apples to apples comparison.

I hope you also remember every time someone else was loaded that Corbin would kick them out of the conference. It was excuse like you hold your kids back, or no one else wanted you in...ect....

You do remember that, right?

Bryant had little say as to which conf. they played in. If you report it, report it right.
I don't know this Coach Bryant but he must be a good person. Anyone who coaches and tries to teach young men the right path has to be a good person. In most cases when people complain on one another the root of the problem is not with that person of which they are complaining but within themselves.
plantmanky Wrote:Not necessarily, what is the class size for that grade. My wife teaches at in a 2A HS district and one of her elementary grades only has 23 students in it male and female. Gonna be a small class all the way through.

Whitley is the only middle school in the district.
6 elementary schools feed into that school.
As such, you generally have 300 to 400 kids every year in the 7th grade.
The middle school would usually see at least 60 to 70 players on 7th and 8th combined.

13 is ridiculously low.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:Whitley is the only middle school in the district.
6 elementary schools feed into that school.
As such, you generally have 300 to 400 kids every year in the 7th grade.
The middle school would usually see at least 60 to 70 players on 7th and 8th combined.

13 is ridiculously low.

I would tend to agree with you then. But then again there are so many more alternatives now too.

Since our school started archery, the number of kids that try out for basketball has dropped significantly. Used to have over 100 try out for 6th grade basketball team, last year we had 38.

BTW archery team had 85 kids on it last year Boys and girls combined.
plantmanky Wrote:I would tend to agree with you then. But then again there are so many more alternatives now too.

Since our school started archery, the number of kids that try out for basketball has dropped significantly. Used to have over 100 try out for 6th grade basketball team, last year we had 38.

Is archery during football or basketball season? I remember when I was in middle school I shot archery and played football and basketball. (I shot archery one year solely to get to miss school for a day on a field trip) 😂
TheRock Wrote:I hope you also remember every time someone else was loaded that Corbin would kick them out of the conference. It was excuse like you hold your kids back, or no one else wanted you in...ect....

You do remember that, right?

Bryant had little say as to which conf. they played in. If you report it, report it right.
I'm sure he has amnesia.
plantmanky Wrote:Not necessarily, what is the class size for that grade. My wife teaches at in a 2A HS district and one of her elementary grades only has 23 students in it male and female. Gonna be a small class all the way through.

I don't know the exact numbers ,but I think Whitley County Middle School has near 600 students with probably about half of them being male, so they probably should have more than 13 seventh grade football players?
CoachNM0523 Wrote:Is archery during football or basketball season? I remember when I was in middle school I shot archery and played football and basketball. (I shot archery one year solely to get to miss school for a day on a field trip) 😂

Both, its year round.
plantmanky Wrote:I would tend to agree with you then. But then again there are so many more alternatives now too.

Really the only thing that has been added to Whitley since that time is soccer, and TBH I'm not sure the middle school even plays. I'm sure they do, but when you go from teams of 40 down to 13 it's a little suspect.
So according to you Gut you took your kids out of Whitley and they are now in Corbin. Cool. But if they were in Whitley at any time in the past few years you would know that Whitley has offered soccer for boy and girls for several years. As a matter of fact the football coach started the program.

Numbers are overrated. Just back before the current coach was coaching, they might have 40 on the team but only 12 or 13 played.. So I guess the football being taught was about the same numbers wise. At least I think 13=13. And if you go back and check the numbers from years past this was an off year. It happens...Nothing to get your panties in a wad over especially if you are no longer in the system. Chill Bro it will be okay.
Dietpepsidrinker Wrote:So according to you Gut you took your kids out of Whitley and they are now in Corbin. Cool. But if they were in Whitley at any time in the past few years you would know that Whitley has offered soccer for boy and girls for several years. As a matter of fact the football coach started the program.

Numbers are overrated. Just back before the current coach was coaching, they might have 40 on the team but only 12 or 13 played.. So I guess the football being taught was about the same numbers wise. At least I think 13=13. And if you go back and check the numbers from years past this was an off year. It happens...Nothing to get your panties in a wad over especially if you are no longer in the system. Chill Bro it will be okay.

Only 13 may actually see significant time but having numbers is crucial. There's no way to practice against a full team without running half line the entire time. Coaches probably aren't as eager to do hitting drills because if one kid goes down they have one back up. And also it doesn't help the high school program.
Bluegrassrivals..... where I go to feel intelligent.
Dietpepsidrinker Wrote:So according to you Gut you took your kids out of Whitley and they are now in Corbin. Cool. But if they were in Whitley at any time in the past few years you would know that Whitley has offered soccer for boy and girls for several years. As a matter of fact the football coach started the program.

Numbers are not overrated. it is best to have 100 to choose from instead of 25.
footballfever Wrote:Bluegrassrivals..... where I go to feel intelligent.
:happytear:
Does whitley play corbin

I never said I took my kids out of Whitley.
I never started them in Whitley. They started Montessori school at Corbin.
I have no clue about anything the soccer people do at Whitley.
It is what it is. I respect you but that place is a mess in the athletic dept. Right now

Good luck.
footballfever Wrote:Bluegrassrivals..... where I go to feel intelligent.

It's easy to be the smartest person in the room over there Confusednicker:
Pages: 1 2