Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: University of Kentucky 7on7 June 17th
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
The following teams have reserved a spot in this year's 7 on 7 tournament at the University of Kentucky on June 17th.

The tournament will be capped at 24 teams.

Advertisement outside of Kentucky is about to begin. We always try to give programs in Kentucky first shot at registering.

1 Glasgow
2 Highland Hills (IN)
3 Williamsburg
4 Lexington Catholic
5 McNabb
6 Woodford County
7 JCTMS
8 Allen
9 Northern Pulaski
10 Johnson County
11 Elkhorn
12 Letcher Central
13 Anderson County
14 Owensboro Catholic
15 North Laurel
16 Verity (Ashland)
17 Shelby East

Waiting for confirmation -
18? Barret

Anyone interested in entering needs to contact Coach Bass @

[email]FF40212@gmail.com[/email]
TOURNAMENT IS FULL!! They have 2 teams on wait list in case someone drops out.
The 7 on 7 to be held at UK on June 17 is officially full.

Teams participating -
1 Glasgow
2 Highland Hills (IN)
3 Williamsburg
4 Lexington Catholic
5 McNabb
6 Woodford County
7 JCTMS
8 Allen
9 Northern Pulaski
10 Johnson County
11 Elkhorn
12 Letcher Central
13 Anderson County
14 Owensboro Catholic
15 North Laurel
16 Verity (Ashland)
17 Shelby East
18 Grant County
19 Westport
20 Bondurant
21 Bourbon County
22 Spencer County
23 Johnson Traditional
24 Somerset Meece

Wait list -
25 Barret
26 Allen County
Just an open ended question: how much do you think a 7 on 7 tournament helps seventh grade teams? I know teams like Williamsburg and Lex Cath traditionally spread the ball around and throw it everywhere. Teams like JC and NL typically are more of a pound in down your throat guy. Also, are the 7 on 7's for 7th and 8th combined or are they split or just for 8th? Just trying to start friendly conversation.
All of the 7on7s you see are for current 6th/7th graders. No current 8th graders are allowed to play.

I see a benefit to all teams even if your a power run team. The main reason is it helps you set up your defense against a those teams that will spread it out and with more and more teams moving to the pistol/shotgun pass/run style game in high schools it is best these kids learn to defend against it.

I know power teams that enter these strictly for the defensive practice against the pass. I mean how far are you going to go if you can stop every single run but can't stop a basic corner route?
And even if it didn't help teacher your defense how to play the pass, its great for conditioning.

I have played my teams in some tourneys where other teams are made up of a lot of lineman.

Also when you look at some of these kids who will be (or are) recruited by colleges, most don't run power as sole offense anymore.

I have had kids participate in the all-star format 7on7 tourneys and have received camp invites and offers from their ability shown.

A lot of schools are now offering lineman challenges so teams can bring out the big boys/girls to get work in.

I am working on setting up a big tourney in the Louisville area for Next year that will include a lineman challenge and have a lot of teams.
We play to get started as a unit. Also, we go to U.K. for The atmosphere. How many kids get to go and play on Kentucky's facilities and mingle with the coaches?
It also helps our coverage and we are also starting to throw the ball a little more.
I will 2nd the conditioning. The farther you advance, specifically at UK, the more it takes a toll on a middle school kid's body and mentality. You play continuously from 10AM - 4PM with few breaks in the sunny 80 degree heat. You can differentiate between your contenders and your pretenders. The kids that are playing their best ball at the end of the day when they're dead tired are the kids who I will trust in the big games when you get into pads.
Coach_Lockwood Wrote:And even if it didn't help teacher your defense how to play the pass, its great for conditioning.

I have played my teams in some tourneys where other teams are made up of a lot of lineman.

Also when you look at some of these kids who will be (or are) recruited by colleges, most don't run power as sole offense anymore.

I have had kids participate in the all-star format 7on7 tourneys and have received camp invites and offers from their ability shown.

A lot of schools are now offering lineman challenges so teams can bring out the big boys/girls to get work in.

I am working on setting up a big tourney in the Louisville area for Next year that will include a lineman challenge and have a lot of teams.

I really like the idea of what you're going to do in Louisville. Sounds great.