Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Meece Middle
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I've always wondered why Meece was called Meece instead of Somerset Middle School. I assume it is named after someone, just wondering what the back story is. Anybody from the Somerset area have any info?
wow good question. I know it is named after someone last name Meece, kinda like Danville middle is Bates, but give me a few and I'll find out.
It was named after Captain Dewayne Meece. He was the first air force captain to fly bombing missions in the civil war.
His family donated the land where the school is located so they named it after him.

You might recognize another institution named after him : Captain D's restaurant.

On a sad note Captain D was tragically killed while flying to Mexico. His plane hit the original wall that was built between our two countries knocking it down. Mexico said they would pay for the wall to be rebuilt but never did.
It was named for O'Leary Meece. He was a Superintendent of Somerset Schools.
Willie Turnover Wrote:It was named after Captain Dewayne Meece. He was the first air force captain to fly bombing missions in the civil war.
His family donated the land where the school is located so they named it after him.

You might recognize another institution named after him : Captain D's restaurant.

On a sad note Captain D was tragically killed while flying to Mexico. His plane hit the original wall that was built between our two countries knocking it down. Mexico said they would pay for the wall to be rebuilt but never did.

:hilarious::hilarious::Clap: