Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Why isn't Southern playing in Somerset Bowl
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Meece vs Knoxville Farragut 7th grade
Meece vs Knoxville Central 8th grade
Johnson Co. vs Elkhorn 7th grade
Johnson Co. vs Elkhorn 8th grade

I was told that they were short games for the bowl at Somerset. Why wouldn't Southern play in it? Meece came and played in our bowl last year?
I'm told coach Russell was told not to have anything to do with Somerset by the
PRINCIPAL and Dwight Engel.
Good question, Why does Meece refuse to play Northern every year? Seems to me both schools are missing out on a lot of gate money that would help both programs!
Somerset and the County spilt is mind numbing.The high schools don't play anymore for a plethora of reasons. Administrative issues on both sides, bowl squabbles, school contracts for students etc.

Kids can't play because the PCYFL suspends their coaches for playing LCYFL teams, middle schools haven't played in ages and I'm sure that doesn't help getting the youth games scheduled, and the high schools don't play each other anymore.

I'd be cool if they never played each other again.

They'll both exist without each other.
The play in every other sport.
For each their own reason, it is only football. The city and county play in everything else.
Almost everyone best complaint. In the same district in othe sports so they play in KHSAA. But you are correct, to each their own. But do a little research and see why it doesn't happen from the ground up, and then get back to me.
Its just a flat out mess at every level between the county schools and Somerset. The sad thing is it is coming from adults acting rather childish if you ask me.
CowboyDad Wrote:Almost everyone best complaint. In the same district in othe sports so they play in KHSAA. But you are correct, to each their own. But do a little research and see why it doesn't happen from the ground up, and then get back to me.
Southwestern and Somerset aren't in the same district and they play in all sports but football.
Not sure who's fault it is why Somerset (Meece) don't play the county schools (Northern,Southern), but I'm sure theirs a good and very childish reason why they don't.
Scores ?
Meece 8th grade 41- Knoxville Central 0..... Johnson Co. 8th grad 30- Elkhorn 14......... Johnson Co. 7th grade 30- Elkhorn 20........ Meece 7th Farragut game called for lighting. Wasn't at games but got updates. Knoxville Central was considered the best 8th grade in Knoxville was undefeated.
The Johnson Co and Elkhorn 7th grade game wasn't as close as the score suggests. It was 30-6 after 2 quarters then JC put in their reserves and Elkhorn scored on them. JC then put there first string back in and shut them down again. If JC played their starters the whole game they could've named the score.
Wasn't there just giving scores, but I believe that. Johnson Co. really good team.
Some times I wish I could make things public, it would blow peoples minds, but I cant.
fewfirstchoice Wrote:The Johnson Co and Elkhorn 7th grade game wasn't as close as the score suggests. It was 30-6 after 2 quarters then JC put in their reserves and Elkhorn scored on them. JC then put there first string back in and shut them down again. If JC played their starters the whole game they could've named the score.

JC did pull some starters, but that doesn't mean it wasn't as close as the score suggested. The final was 30-22 and if Elkhorn could have got a stop in the final minutes it could have been real interesting.
No disrespect but the game was not close. Before JC pulled their starters they scored at will. Both 7th & 8th try to play all their kids. JC could put a running clock on a lot of teams on their schedule but its hard enough for JC to find teams willing to play less than a 3HR DRIVE!!
Meece has had some great middle school teams over the years.
Meece has had some great teams in the past,I just wish they would do more with their 7th grade as far as the post season.A lot of teams don't participate in 7th grade state but I really don't understand why.Look at Johnson,North Pulaski,Corbin,Bowling Green,ect,ect! They are always some of the top teams in 8th because of their 7th grade programs!
I don't think not playing 7th grade post season last year has hurt Meece at all this year. If they aren't the best team in the state this year they are definitely top 2 or 3 no matter what class.
To be honest, I can understand why Meece doesn't play in the 7th grade playoffs. They are a smaller school and typically don't have the numbers to support 2 competitive teams during the playoffs. Last year the better 7th graders played up on the 8th grade team. This year there shouldn't be a problem because I don't think any 7th graders play on the 8th grade team. I could be wrong, they could use some for a quick sub or something. Anyway, they should be able to put a 7th grade team in the playoffs this year if they wanted to.
I'm not saying it hurt Meece not to have a 7th grade team,I'm just saying why wouldn't you have one.Its ok for the 7th graders that is good enough to play up but what about the ones standing on the sidelines not getting to play? Why not give them a chance to play?,and with the tradition and being backed up by the youth program that Somerset has I don't think they are hurting for players! Also I agree Meece has a good team but theirs no way they are one of the top 3 teams in the state,their not even the top team in their County! That would go to Northern Pulaski.
I agree, Meece has a decent 7th grade team so it would be beneficial to play in the playoffs to give those kids more experience for next year. They aren't at the level of Northern or Johnson County but they were decent from what I saw.
My assessment on 8th grade: I think everyone agrees Southern is not very good this year so they are the number 3 team in the county. That's a given. Meece or Northern would steamroll them if they would have or when they play. Now a Northern vs Meece matchup would have been as good a football game as any seen in the state playoffs. I think Meece is the better team but just by a thread. It's unfortunate that this game will not be played this year or anytime in the near future. The only way we can remotely compare who is better is a common opponent. If Meece and New Harlan face each other in the playoffs, and Meece wins, then Meece gets the nod. If not it's Northern in my opinion. But, it will always be a debate.
I can agree with that.Ive not seen Meece play a lot this year and I did get to watch the New Harlan vs Northern game.Even though Northern did have a couple key players out with injury I still think both teams were evenly matched.If Meece beats New Harlan they would get the nod. It's a shame Northern and Meece don't play.