Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Networking Printer
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have a HP Photosmart c4100 series All-In-One printer in my dorm room and I was wondering if I could somehow network it to work off both my computer and my roommates computer. It's hooked up to her's right now and it's such a hassel to completely unhook everything from my laptop and take it across the room and hook it up to the printer. Does anyone know anything about how I could do this?
Well i know before you could hook them into a switch so that it switches from one to the other but i dont know about now.
DTfan Wrote:I have a HP Photosmart c4100 series All-In-One printer in my dorm room and I was wondering if I could somehow network it to work off both my computer and my roommates computer. It's hooked up to her's right now and it's such a hassel to completely unhook everything from my laptop and take it across the room and hook it up to the printer. Does anyone know anything about how I could do this?

Yes.. Since both of you are the same network. What you need to do is Right click my computer -> go to computer name -> change -> the change the workgroup to the same name for both computers. The name can be anything as its the same on both computers. Then go to the computer that the printer is hooked up to and right click and hit choose to share that printer and give its easy name to remember like "ourprinter"..

Now go to your roomates computer and go to Printer and Faxes under the START menu and hit add a printer.. Choose the "networked printer option" and then it will ask you if you want to search for the network for the printer.. Browse your workgroup you created and your printer will be listed there. Select and your roommate will be able to print to your printer.
Thanks... I'll try that as soon as she gets done doing my paper...lol
Okay I got it all except when I go to add the printer on the other computer. When I select the workgroup and type in the name is says it's incorrect.