Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Honest opinions of all time Cats team!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I thought it would be nice to see what people think and know about the UK players of the past as well as the present.

So this should be interesting!!

You will need to compile the following:

5 starters from the Rupp era. and a 6th Man

5 from Joe B Halls team's and a 6th man

5 from Sutton and 6th Man

5 from Rick Pitino and 6th man

5 from Tubbys and a 6th man

Then select your all time Cats Team.

If you post one team then come back a day later to do the second
just quote from your previous post that way we can look at all of them together.

Ok guys and girls get out the record books!!
Haha thisll be cool but to much work for me tonight haha
yeah I will post one by sat, i hope. LOL
Joe b hall Kevin Grevey rick robey jack givens kyle macy Im to tired to go on
Rupp's All Time 5
Point Guard - Louie Dampier
Shooting Guard - Ralph Beard
Small Forward - Pat Riley
Power Forward - Cotton Nash
Center - Dan Issel

6th Man - Frank Ramsey
Joe B. hall's All Time 5
Point Guard - Dirk Minniefield
Shooting GuardKevin Grevey
Small Forward - Jack Givens
Power Forward - Kenny Walker
Center - Sam Bowie

6th Man - Kyle Macy
Eddie Sutton's All Time 5
Point Guard - Ed Davender
Shooting Guard - Rex Chapman
Small Forward - Derrick Miller
Power Forward - Winston Bennett
Center - Kenny Walker

6th Man - James Blackmon
Rick Pitino's All Time 5
Point Guard - Anthony Epps
Shooting Guard - Tony Delk
Small Forward - Ron Mercer
Power Forward - Antoine Walker
Power Forward/Center - Jamal Mashburn

6th Man - Walter McCarty
Tubby Smith's All Time 5
Point Guard - Wayne Turner
Shooting Guard - Keith Bogans
Small Forward - Kelenna Azubuike
Power Forward - Tayshaun Prince
Center - Jamaal Magloire

6th Man - Chuck Hayes
Nice post Doc. I guess I will get the big ball rolling here. Hope everybody enjoys my list.
Rupp's All Time 5
Point Guard - Louie Dampier
Shooting Guard - Ralph Beard
Small Forward - Pat Riley
Power Forward - Cotton Nash
Center - Dan Issel

6th Man - Frank Ramsey

Joe B. hall's All Time 5
Point Guard- Dirk Minniefield
Shooting Guard - Kevin Grevey
Small Forward - Jack Givens
Power Forward - Kenny Walker
Center - Sam Bowie

6th Man - Kyle Macy

Eddie Sutton's All Time 5
Point Guard - Ed Davender
Shooting Guard - Rex Chapman
Small Forward - Derrick Miller
Power Forward - Winston Bennett
Center - Kenny Walker

6th Man - James Blackmon

Rick Pitino's All Time 5
Point Guard - Anthony Epps
Shooting Guard - Tony Delk
Small Forward - Ron Mercer
Power Forward - Antoine Walker
Power Forward/Center - Jamal Mashburn

6th Man - Walter McCarty

Tubby Smith's All Time 5
Point Guard - Wayne Turner
Shooting Guard - Keith Bogans
Small Forward - Kelenna Azubuike
Power Forward - Tayshaun Prince
Center - Jamaal Magloire

6th Man - Chuck Hayes

University of Kentucky All Time 5
Point Guard - Dirk Minniefield (Kentucky All Time Assist Leader)
Shooting Guard - Tony Delk (17 ppg in last 3 seasons at UK)
Small Forward - Jack Givens (15.5 ppg, 6 rpg career)
Power Forward - Antoine Walker (15 ppg, 8.4 rpg, 3 apg, 1.7 spg (96 season)
Center - Dan Issel (25.8 ppg, 13 rpg career at UK which was 3 seasons. All Time leader in points and assists at UK)

6th Man - Kenny Walker (15.8 ppg, 7.1 rpg career)
Nice work and quick. Like the list, we seem to be on a close track with one another, with a few differences I will try to have mine on by fri night.
Rupps All Stars
G Louie Dampier
G Ralph Beard
F Cotton Nash
F Dan Issel
C Bill Spivey
6th Frank Ramsey

Halls All Stars
G Kyle Macy
G Kevin Grevey
F Jack Givens
F Rick Robey
C Sam Bowie
6th James Lee

Suttons All Stars
G Ed Davender
G Rex Chapman
F Chris Mills
F Kenny Walker
C Leron Ellis
6th Winston Bennett

Pitino's All Stars
G Tony Delk
G Derek Anderson
F Jamal Mashburn
F Antoine Walker
C Nazr Mohommed
6th Ron Mercer

Smith's All Stars
G Wayne Turner
G Keith Bogans
F Tayshaun Prince
F Scott Padget
C Jamaal Maglorie
6th Chuck Hayes
I'm glad you got James Lee in there, I saw him send a guy in the hospital when he was going in for a dunk and got in his way. I like most of your picks old school.
Jame Lee was the first person i picked on my Hall team as 6th man of course. He was a Power dunking machine.
That's cool and all that he was a dunking machine, but I thought the point was to put the best players on there.
James Lee despite being a dunking machine he wasn't that great of a player. The best award or mention he ever got was "Third Team Sec" in his senior season averaging 11 ppg and 5 rpg. There's players every year with better numbers than that. Not to mention his 2.6 turnovers per game. I'll take my chances with somebody that can actually play, not just dunk.
He did much more than dunk, In my opinion Lee was the best 6th man that I ever saw play at UK. Although his stats may have not been as impressive as others that played under Hall, if you saw the change in the team went he took the floor you would understand why Old School, ThunderChild and myself hold him in such high regard.
Doc Holliday Wrote:He did much more than dunk, In my opinion Lee was the best 6th man that I ever saw play at UK. Although his stats may have not been as impressive as others that played under Hall, if you saw the change in the team went he took the floor you would understand why Old School, ThunderChild and myself hold him in such high regard.

Sorry, I just think there's better players in that era that are easily better than him. Just opinion I guess.
I understand that, as I said its an opinion just like mine.

Alfus when you were looking your list up did you find anything about Dwight Anderson?
I found his stats.
I know he played two seasons, Hall suspended him for a couple of games, then he transferred to USC. I was curious if you have any info about him.

I thought if had stayed he could have been a great player.
Dwight Anderson played in the 79 and 80 seasons. He was a Parade and McDonalds All American in high school.

He averaged 13.3 ppg in the 79 season. He was a 3rd team SEC player.

He only played 11 games in the 1980 season and averaged 10.7 ppg.

He transferred to USC and ended up being drafted #41 overall in the 2nd round of the 1982 NBA draft.

I don't know much other than that about him though or why he was suspended.
alfus21 Wrote:That's cool and all that he was a dunking machine, but I thought the point was to put the best players on there.
James Lee despite being a dunking machine he wasn't that great of a player. The best award or mention he ever got was "Third Team Sec" in his senior season averaging 11 ppg and 5 rpg. There's players every year with better numbers than that. Not to mention his 2.6 turnovers per game. I'll take my chances with somebody that can actually play, not just dunk.

I don't think that you can go by numbers alone, I remember watching the 77-78 team play and there were some great players on that team Jack Givens 2,038 pts., Rick Robey 1,395 pts., Mike Phillips 1,367 pts., and James Lee 996 pts. these guys played 4 years together, now add Kyle Macy (class of 79)who scored 1,411 pts. When was the last time UK had 4 players from the same class score 1,000 points or more?
Now about the 2.6 turnovers per game you listed Minniefield as your point guard, during his senior year he averaged 3.52 turnovers per game. I believe I would take my chances with Lee and his 2.6 to's to Minniefield's and 3.52 to's a game.
Doc Holliday Wrote:I understand that, as I said its an opinion just like mine.

Alfus when you were looking your list up did you find anything about Dwight Anderson?
I found his stats.
I know he played two seasons, Hall suspended him for a couple of games, then he transferred to USC. I was curious if you have any info about him.

I thought if had stayed he could have been a great player.

If my memory is correct Anderson was in and out of Hall's dog house several times during his stay at UK, for curfew violations and drug problems, I think the final straw came when Hall suspended him during his soph. year and he left after the first semester. If he had stayed at UK I think he could have been one of the best players ever at UK.
Yes he was in and out of the doghouse, I had a couple of friends who were at Uk and they both said he and 2 other UK players were caught with Pot, and Dwight got the ax while the other 2 went own to be all americans.

I remember watching him hit a shot that shouldnt have counted to win a game for USC as he was falling out of bounds he shot it from behind the back board in mid air over the backboard. the refs counted it and Billy Packer pitched a fit.

As far as Lee goes the fact that he could play a little at 2 guard, and was a small forward, power forward, and center, filling in where ever Hall needed him and his baseline defense on the 1-3-1 was awesome. Those are thing you wont find in stats, he is a much over looked player.
Old School Wrote:Now about the 2.6 turnovers per game you listed Minniefield as your point guard, during his senior year he averaged 3.52 turnovers per game. I believe I would take my chances with Lee and his 2.6 to's to Minniefield's and 3.52 to's a game.

Since we've turned this into a numbers game and you've tried to twist it so much, let's look at assist-turnover ratios.

Minniefield did average 3.52 turnovers per game his senior season, but averaged 5.9 assist equaling a 1.66:1 assist-turnover ratio.

Lee on the other hand, in his senior season averaged the 2.6 turnovers per game. While averaging 1.19 assists resulting in a .45:1 assist-turnover ratio. He averaged over three fouls per game. He played only 22 minutes per game. And pulled down only 5.3 rebounds per game.

I know numbers aren't everything, but come on. There are so many better players than Lee. I know he was intense and was a strong, athletic, game changer but it's just my opinion he's not one of the top 6 players to play for Joe B. Hall.
As far as my mistake goes, I would probably change on thing, and that is putting Robey somewhere on my team. I guess if I can change one thing It's putting Walker on the Sutton team and letting Robey replace him on my Hall team.
Cliff Hagans has a decent steakhouse.
now who making who laugh?
alfus21 Wrote:As far as my mistake goes, I would probably change on thing, and that is putting Robey somewhere on my team. I guess if I can change one thing It's putting Walker on the Sutton team and letting Robey replace him on my Hall team.

I was wondering why you didnt have Robey on your list. Not taking anything from Walker both were great players.
That whole squad was impressive, I would say they are my sentimental favorite team of all time, avg 84.1 Ppg with no three point line and no shot clock.

While holding opponents to 69.8
and they outrebounded their opponents 1171 to 1000.

With balanced scoring
5 players avg double figures.

PlayerGames
PlayedMinFGFGA%FTFTA%Total
RebsAsst.FTotal
PtsPPGJack Givens32102823843055.310213476.1217809557818.06Rick Robey3291516726363.512617572261628346014.38Kyle Macy32109714326753.611512989.1761787540112.53James Lee3169413623956.97810574.3165379435011.29Mike Phillips3160212521059.5668775.9145279031610.19Truman Claytor327889019346.6415377.42874752216.91Jay Shidler294274210241.2232785.22343521073.69
alfus21 Wrote:I know numbers aren't everything, but come on. There are so many better players than Lee. I know he was intense and was a strong, athletic, game changer but it's just my opinion he's not one of the top 6 players to play for Joe B. Hall.

I guess we agree to to disagree on our players, you have your opinion and I have mine. :Thumbs: