Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Christmas plays cause problems in Johnson County Schools
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
http://www.wymt.com/content/news/Video-P...95441.html

Jesus, The Lord, God, The Bible.... ANYTHING associated with Christianity will not be permitted in any Johnson County School activities and school sponsored events.

"As superintendent of Johnson County Schools, I recognize the significance of Christmas and the traditions and beliefs associated with this holiday. Over the past few days, there have been several rumors indicating that there would be no Christmas plays this year at our elementary schools. I want to clarify that all programs will go on as scheduled. In accordance with federal laws, our programs will follow appropriate regulations. The U.S. Supreme Court and the 6th Circuit are very clear that public school staff may not endorse any religion when acting in their official capacities and during school activities. However, our district is fully committed to promote the spirit of giving and concern for our fellow citizens that help define the Christmas holiday. With core values such as service, integrity, leadership, and commitment, our staff and students will continue to proudly represent our district as recently demonstrated by our many student successes."

Johnson County Schools Superintendent, Thomas Salyer.
This is a multiple level problem with a few simple solutions.

- THIS HAS ALREADY HAPPENED ALL ACROSS THE GOOD OLE' U.S. of A., THIS IS NOT NEW!!!! IT'S JUST NOW GETTING TO OUR NECK OF THE WOODS!!!!

- There are plenty of churches in Johnson County that would LOVE to host Christmas plays for any of the schools/teachers that need a place to do so. One of the school board members is the Pastor of a church in the County. I also have to say that 85-90% of the churches in Johnson County have teachers/administrators in their congregation.

- School plays/activities ARE NOT MANDATORY. American citizens have the right to not participate if they so choose. A simple permission form or letter of notification sent home to the parents/guardians of the students would solve 99% of the problems on this issue. If they do not want to participate, then they don't have to.

- Do we really want our kids (that are not muslim) in some type of play/production for ramadan? NO.... NO WE DO NOT!!!!!!!!!!
This might be hard to understand right now, but let's put the glove on the other hand. And you know as well as I do.... that would happen. And if the JC B.O.E. declined or stopped it from happening, then they have a Multi-Million dollar lawsuit on their hands that they would loose.

- God has NEVER needed a human to stand up for him. God has ALWAYS provided for those that He calls to do His work. If the teachers/administrators truly want a place to do their Christmas play, God will provide them a place outside of the school to do so.

I know every principal/administrator & school board member on a first name basis...... some of them are getting a very bad rep right now for following Federal & State laws.
It's very easy to point fingers and place blame. But I don't see anybody donating money to a legal fund or to their personal income.

A sign that says "MR. ------- NEEDS TO STAND UP FOR JESUS" is great, but will that same person holding that sign pay Mr. ------'s monthly bills??? NO, NO THEY WILL NOT!!!!!
When the Tornado hit Johnson County in March of 2012......
When the Flash Flood hit Johnson County in July of 2015.....

I didn't hear one person say "We got this on our own Jesus, we don't need You."

I HEARD EVERYBODY SAYING "PRAY FOR JOHNSON COUNTY!!!!!!"
Last comment for right now....

Pastors, Preachers and those people who are true Christians by their professions of faith and actions away from church are easy targets.

But who is the first people that get the phone call when somebody gets killed, injured/diagnosed or arrested..... you guessed it. The local Pastor/Preacher.

When somebody passes away who wasn't Saved... the family ALWAYS asks the preacher.... "please preach my ------ in Heaven."
We do have a Johnson County CHRISTIAN School located off U.S. 23 about one mile from W.R. Castle Elem. (where the complain started) that is struggling to keep the doors open.

PARENTS...... teach your kids about Jesus and The Bible at home!!!!!!
Teach your kids to Bless their food before each meal.
Teach them the Power of Prayer.
Teach your kids about the devil and what sin will do to your life.
Take your kids to Sunday School and Church.
Get them involved with a Church Youth Group.
Pulp Fiction Wrote:We do have a Johnson County CHRISTIAN School located off U.S. 23 about one mile from W.R. Castle Elem. (where the complain started) that is struggling to keep the doors open.

PARENTS...... teach your kids about Jesus and The Bible at home!!!!!!
Teach your kids to Bless their food before each meal.
Teach them the Power of Prayer.
Teach your kids about the devil and what sin will do to your life.
Take your kids to Sunday School and Church.
Get them involved with a Church Youth Group.

:Thumbs::Thumbs::Thumbs::Thumbs::Thumbs::Thumbs::Thumbs:
http://www.adfmedia.org/News/PRDetail/9816

Good grief! Kentucky school district censors ‘A Charlie Brown Christmas’
ADF sends letter to district on behalf of student cast member to explain legality of allowing biblical references in play
Tuesday, December 15, 2015

PAINTSVILLE, Ky. – Alliance Defending Freedom sent a letter Tuesday to Johnson County Schools to encourage it to ignore a single complaint it received about biblical references in a student play based on the classic Charles Schulz television special “A Charlie Brown Christmas.”

“Schools should not have to think twice about whether they can allow students to perform a classic Christmas production simply because it contains biblical references,” said ADF Legal Counsel Matt Sharp. “‘A Charlie Brown Christmas’ has become an iconic Christmas story and tradition. Are school officials going to start demanding that other classic productions, such as Shakespearean plays, be censored just because they contain religious references?”

After receiving the lone complaint from a family at W.R. Castle Elementary School, the district announced its intent to censor all religious references from “A Charlie Brown Christmas” and any other Christmas plays at the district’s schools. Parents, students, and cast members have expressed dismay over the decision.

“There is no violation of the so-called ‘separation of church and state’ by allowing children to learn about theater and the origins of Christmas through participating in a stage version of this beloved program that contains the same religious elements as the television version…,” the ADF letter explains. “Given that courts have consistently held that schools may organize and sponsor Christmas programs and performances that include religious songs and study the historical origins of Christmas, there is no basis for the District’s decision to censor the religious aspects of ‘A Charlie Brown Christmas.’”

The letter offers legal assistance to the school district if anyone files suit to stop the play from occurring.

“Because the school district completely misunderstands the First Amendment, all it is accomplishing here is upsetting and disappointing a lot of children and other community members who love this completely acceptable play,” said ADF Senior Counsel Jeremy Tedesco. “We sincerely hope the district will change course and correct its entirely misguided censorship.”
Something about this letter above ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

“There is no violation of the so-called ‘separation of church and state’ by allowing children to learn about theater and the origins of Christmas through participating in a stage version of this beloved program that contains the same religious elements as the television version….."

After saying this to a Judge or Jury..... This is when the Defense council drops the microphone!!!!!!!!!
I'm all for separation of church and state, but I agree with you all. This is ridiculous.
Here's a good read by FoxNews on the matter:

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2015/12/1...tcmp=hpbt3

Beware Great Pumpkin....you may be next!!!
Tonight is the night.
I don't follow Glenn Beck closely, but I did notice that he wrote an article about this case as well. This is getting out of hand. One person complained. The Alliance Defending Freedom just stepped in and offered to defend the school district should this be taken to court and I would certainly like our chances with them on our side. That superintendent, who Todd Starnes mentioned in his article is a Church-going man, needs to take a major stand here and so does his school board - many of whom are Christians.

Our school districts have been held hostage in many situations because of the fear of losing funding. I wouldn't be afraid to back down.