Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: D-II Championship Belfry 14 South Oldham 8
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pirates overcome tons of self inflicted wounds to beat a very good South Oldham team.
Congrats Pirates!
Dynasty
Congrats to Belfry....

Is that 4 in a row for them?
pulp fiction Wrote:congrats to belfry....

Is that 4 in a row for them?

yep 4peat!!!!
Great job Pirates!!
Congrats to the young pirates!! WOW the future is bright on pond creek! Next year every player for Belfry will have already won a state championship and be playing for one at the high school level. Very Impressive!
This current group of BMS Pirates have a real chance to continue the rich Belfry High tradition on the gridiron. Very talented, great football sense....and a definite will to win.

Great job Pirates!
Congrats to Belfry on #4!

With that said, I think this score calms down some of the "greatest middle school team of all time" talk. Previous Northern Pulaski & Corbin title teams put out some running clock performances during championship weekend.
Wildcat18 Wrote:Congrats to Belfry on #4!

With that said, I think this score calms down some of the "greatest middle school team of all time" talk. Previous Northern Pulaski & Corbin title teams put out some running clock performances during championship weekend.

While I don't care for that chatter, and we don't need anyone's approval about our talent - it's important to remember #33 Grayson Cook and #24 Joe Chafin weren't able to play since the end of the regular season. Those are two big time players.

Nonetheless, we were probably the least penalized team in the state coming into this weekend and got them left and right in Lexington. Very uncharacteristic, but glad we were able to overcome adversity. Watching back, we stopped ourselves a whole bunch of times.
Belfry0304 Wrote:While I don't care for that chatter, and we don't need anyone's approval about our talent - it's important to remember #33 Grayson Cook and #24 Joe Chafin weren't able to play since the end of the regular season. Those are two big time players.

Nonetheless, we were probably the least penalized team in the state coming into this weekend and got them left and right in Lexington. Very uncharacteristic, but glad we were able to overcome adversity. Watching back, we stopped ourselves a whole bunch of times.

I'm not hating on Belfry at all. With 4 titles now, you guys are very deserving of the accolades you all are getting. It shows you're doing things right. With that said, I saw a lot of pre-championship weekend talk on here. The performance I saw this weekend did not reflect or do justice to back up those claims. The previous championship teams I mentioned not once used their injuries or penalties as justification for their faults on the field. That is one more reason I would not put Belfry in that category. Very good team, just not in that elite category all-time. As a program, yes. With this team, no. With this year's win, I have heard two views from Belfry fans. 1 - Congratulatory praise for the win as it was well deserved. 2 - Officiating and injuries. At the end of the day, it doesn't really even matter. A ring is a ring.

Cook is a very good football player, as well as the rest of the Pirates. I love the kid.
Wildcat18 Wrote:I'm not hating on Belfry at all. With 4 titles now, you guys are very deserving of the accolades you all are getting. It shows you're doing things right. With that said, I saw a lot of pre-championship weekend talk on here. The performance I saw this weekend did not reflect or do justice to back up those claims. The previous championship teams I mentioned not once used their injuries or penalties as justification for their faults on the field. That is one more reason I would not put Belfry in that category. Very good team, just not in that elite category all-time. As a program, yes. With this team, no. With this year's win, I have heard two views from Belfry fans. 1 - Congratulatory praise for the win as it was well deserved. 2 - Officiating and injuries. At the end of the day, it doesn't really even matter. A ring is a ring.

Cook is a very good football player, as well as the rest of the Pirates. I love the kid.

I wasn't making an excuse. Like I said, I could care less if we are the best team ever. Best team in the state 2015 we know, we proved it. Anything else is a wash and there's no factual proof of anything so it'll always be opinionated. I'm a big supporter of Northern Pulaski football. I think very highly of Coach Foley, and hope they win 5A again this year. I do think you picked a bad game to gauge us on though. Lol. South Oldham is a very good team and on the rise program.
Belfry0304 Wrote:I wasn't making an excuse. Like I said, I could care less if we are the best team ever. Best team in the state 2015 we know, we proved it. Anything else is a wash and there's no factual proof of anything so it'll always be opinionated. I'm a big supporter of Northern Pulaski football. I think very highly of Coach Foley, and hope they win 5A again this year. I do think you picked a bad game to gauge us on though. Lol. South Oldham is a very good team and on the rise program.

I agree with you 100%. I'm not calling any one individual comment out. Just a topic for discussion. Your comment giving South Oldham credit as a good team is the first I have seen on here. Couldn't be more proud of the Belfry kids.
Wildcat18 Wrote:Congrats to Belfry on #4!

To play Devil's Advocate Belfry did have a running clock performance on Championship weekend beating Taylor County 44-0.. the Championship Game definitely was close.

Watching this team play I still don't think they stood out to me as Freakishly talented as that 2012 team that has now produced 2 HS State Titles and may be on their way to #3...but I also wish I saw them at full strength.

With that said... hard to knock a team that went undefeated, won the State Title even tripping over their own feet a bit, defeated the D-1 Champs twice, and defeated the D-3 runner-ups 3X who were a couple plays away from being State Champs in their own right.

Pretty lofty accomplishments.
what will Belfry have next year?
Ballbuster Wrote:what will Belfry have next year?

A shot at a 5 peat Smile
In my opinion Belfry has a great shot at a 5peat. Just to throw out a few of the starters on this years team that was 7th graders. #4, #1 and #20. I was really impressed with the 7th grade team this year. Nice line and 3 good ones in the backfield. So should have a stable of studs in the backfield to go with another well coached Herbie Dotson line, that only gets better as season moves on.
I agree proud44pirate, Coach Dotson is the real deal. #55 was good before this year, but Coach Dotson made him a blocking machine on Offense and as a DT there wasn't many positive gains up the middle on against the Pirates D. It was an honor to me that my son was coached by a man like Herbie Dotson. Coach Dotson, your second to none in my book. Thank You!
Congrats to Belfry.
Can't wait until we play them again next year.
Belfry has some pieces of the puzzle returning next season. However....several pieces will need to be addressed.

IMO....the offensive line will be the biggest work in progress. The original starting line will all move on to the HS. Should be strong in the backfield with the QB and one of the HB's returning. couple of others ready to step into those RB positions.

Defense will need retooling. However, the best thing going for Belfry is their staff. Very strong coaching/teaching skills. Good motivators.

I would expect to see Belfry squarely in the mix for #5.