Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Catholic Misconceptions -- Q&A
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Everyday, I am questioned by someone from eastern kentucky about my Catholic beliefs. I was raised in a conservative protestant church (The Church of Christ), and every single friend and family member is a member of protestant baptist and pentacostal churches. To be from east ky, and be a catholic -- is sometimes incompatible, and often unforgivable. What I've found, however, is that the questions they ask, or the things they 'know' about the Catholic church, are often wrong at a fundamental level.

Here are some things I'm told on a regular basis:

Catholics....
-worship Mary.
-worship the pope.
-can sin freely, as long as they confess.
-worship saints.
-commit cannabalism (through eating the actual body of christ).
-erroneously go through a priest for forgiveness, and not Jesus.
-drink too much.
-forbid people to get married.
-are against science.
-discourage bible study and reading.
-baptize infants, against scriptures.
-just plain wrong on just about everything.
-practice idolatry.
-believe in 'magic'.
-aren't even christians.
-are the apostate church, and Rome is the whore of babylon.

----------------------------------

Well, thats a small list of the things that many protestants think of me and my faith as a whole. Through careful study, classes, conversation, strengthening through christ jesus and the eucharist, and a healthy prayer life... I've learned to defend my faith. I feel that it is very important to not only believe, but to defend that which you do. And being educated is the key to this.

If anyone has any serious questions that I may be able to answer, please ask. I'm grateful and blessed that this community also includes many other devout catholics who can answer them as well. I look forward to helping clear up misinformation about the faithful.

Who's first?
ronald reagan Wrote:Everyday, I am questioned by someone from eastern kentucky about my Catholic beliefs. I was raised in a conservative protestant church (The Church of Christ), and every single friend and family member is a member of protestant baptist and pentacostal churches. To be from east ky, and be a catholic -- is sometimes incompatible, and often unforgivable. What I've found, however, is that the questions they ask, or the things they 'know' about the Catholic church, are often wrong at a fundamental level.

Here are some things I'm told on a regular basis:

Catholics....
-worship Mary.
-worship the pope.
-can sin freely, as long as they confess.
-worship saints.
-commit cannabalism (through eating the actual body of christ).
-erroneously go through a priest for forgiveness, and not Jesus.
-drink too much.
-forbid people to get married.
-are against science.
-discourage bible study and reading.
-baptize infants, against scriptures.
-just plain wrong on just about everything.
-practice idolatry.
-believe in 'magic'.
-aren't even christians.
-are the apostate church, and Rome is the whore of babylon.

----------------------------------

Well, thats a small list of the things that many protestants think of me and my faith as a whole. Through careful study, classes, conversation, strengthening through christ jesus and the eucharist, and a healthy prayer life... I've learned to defend my faith. I feel that it is very important to not only believe, but to defend that which you do. And being educated is the key to this.

If anyone has any serious questions that I may be able to answer, please ask. I'm grateful and blessed that this community also includes many other devout catholics who can answer them as well. I look forward to helping clear up misinformation about the faithful.

Who's first?

I'll make this real easy...people developed legalism and sects to protect their own insecurities and influence their place amongst communities.

If you believe in Jesus Christ and hold yourself accountable to honor him in action and word....we are on the same team.

I have a lot of catholic, baptist, lutheran, methodist,....etc. Our commonality is Jesus. So we all grow thru our walk with him, the Father, and the holy spirit if we surrender to their will not ours.

Welcome to bgr ronaldreagan and don't sweat the turkeys who don't get it. And thanks for taking a position to educate and be inclusive. Communication leads to understanding and growth!

:Thumbs:
I feel that dialogue is the bed way to educate and be educated. But apparently, everyone has a favorable view of Catholicism, as well as no misconceptions. Yay. Smile
I was asked today why I make a sign of the cross during prayer...

I answered a question with a question....

"Why do you bough your head and holds your hands together?"

-------
Through faith, do you believe that the wine and bread is blood and flesh? Thus, when you partake during communion, is it real blood and flesh or is it wine and wafer?